SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conservationist's Corner (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   true conservationist question for big lake (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6824)

speckdaddy 01-13-2010 08:22 PM

true conservationist question for big lake

ok guys, i just want a question asked:alot of guides claim ta be all about conservation,if this is so,then why do they let their clients keep their limit of fish also?if these guides are truly worried about the trout population, shouldnt they not worry about 15 more fish for their clients ta take home?just wonderin

Ray 01-13-2010 08:49 PM

They need to give that limit to me. I ain't eaten a trout in a month.

I agree. If the Snapper captains can't catch a limit, the Speck captains shouldn't either.

BossHog 01-13-2010 10:05 PM

Cause all the guides know there is absolutley nothing wrong with the trout population.

Gerald 01-13-2010 11:19 PM

Also, if the "Captains" are worried about the Trout population........

Why on Big Lake..... do you always see the "Captains" catching most of the fish in the boat.

If the Guides would put their rods down: 1) the boats would come in with 1/2 of a limit or 2) it would take all day to stratch out a limit.

BossHog 01-14-2010 12:12 AM

Most guides are not worried about the trout population cause your not gonna hurt the population with a rod and reel. But MOST of them do let MOST of the big trout go 7+lbers. Guides hardly ever fish for big trout anyway 95% of the customers just want to catch a limit of keepers. Its nearly impossible to put them on trophy trout cause its a whole different type of fishing that most customers dont have anywhere close to the skills to try.

catch.and.fillet 01-14-2010 09:21 AM

When I hire a guide anywhere, not only Big Lake, I always tell them whether we're fishing for meat or for a trophy. If it's trophy fishing, they don't fish but "guide" to make sure I have the experience. That's been the case at least 10 times from Cabo (where we trophy fished 1 day and I tagged and released a 425# Blue Marlin) to Montana. On Big Lake, I've always meat fished and we all caught our limit. When the guide got his limit, he spent more time "guiding" than catching. That's been my experience...

cmdrost 01-14-2010 09:53 AM

not all guides do this fwiw....and yes MOST do try to encourage you to release the bigger fish if its not gonna go on the wall. They know they can get you your meat from the schoolies.

And I wouldn't say guides don't worry about the population! Have a long talk with one sometime thats been doing it for over 10 years. They might surprise you. They are out there the most, hence they can feel the "health" of the estuary.

Ray 01-14-2010 10:55 AM

If you look at some of their pictures from websites, they do keep trophies.

"W" 01-14-2010 11:09 AM

I see this two way..........#1 I could look at two outfits that have been on the lake 20+ years........Both could shut the doors and just hunt and make it the rest of there life with out guiding on the lake.........Both run 4-5 boats and both fish 4 counting guide per boat!...... If they think our trout are in trouble Im sure they would cut some of there boats out and not book as many trips!!!

cmdrost 01-14-2010 11:14 AM

"I see this two way..........#1"

So whats #2?

SULPHITE 01-14-2010 11:23 AM

maybe he meant "two way street"??

"W" 01-14-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrost (Post 101559)
"I see this two way..........#1"

So whats #2?

yall always trying to get me fired up.........

If and I mean if ........ A 20+ year guide saw hurt he would add slots to his limits......EXP....14-22inch and throw rest back unless you mount......

Most release big trout.......Does it work I still dont know.....

Out of all the trout I have tagged......Most I get back are smaller fish......

I have tagged atleast 15 0r 20 over 20inchs and only had one recaught....tagged at 23inch and caught at 24inch.......

I guess time will tell.....

BossHog 01-14-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrost (Post 101536)
not all guides do this fwiw....and yes MOST do try to encourage you to release the bigger fish if its not gonna go on the wall. They know they can get you your meat from the schoolies.

And I wouldn't say guides don't worry about the population! Have a long talk with one sometime thats been doing it for over 10 years. They might surprise you. They are out there the most, hence they can feel the "health" of the estuary.

I guided fulltime for almost 10 years and Ive worked with and know almost every guide on the lake some that have been doing it 20-30 years. We all know that you have bad years and you have good years, it just all runs in cycles. Yes being on the lake everyday you know whats going on and pretty much know how its gonna be the next year. I have NEVER heard anybody talk about a problem with the population (as far as conservation) except for big trout.

"W" 01-14-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossHog (Post 101568)
I guided fulltime for almost 10 years and Ive worked with and know almost every guide on the lake some that have been doing it 20-30 years. We all know that you have bad years and you have good years, it just all runs in cycles. Yes being on the lake everyday you know whats going on and pretty much know how its gonna be the next year. I have NEVER heard anybody talk about a problem with the population (as far as conservation) except for big trout.

Same here.......I have been fishing the lake all my life......Even before the waders started wading we caught big trout....and those went into the ice chest..... I could make some sick with pics coming off the lake in the 80's and 90's....... Only thing I can say is that Redfish have done well.....there is more reds now than in the 80's I belive.......

LaAngler 01-14-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 101569)
[/COLOR]there is more reds now than in the 80's I belive.......

back in the net days you couldnt just go out and murder the redfish like you can now. not even close to now

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 101569)
[/COLOR]I could make some sick with pics coming off the lake in the 80's and 90's.......

We had a trip in 1999 where we kept probably 30 fish over 5 pounds, probably half a dozen of them were 27-28 inches, caught em right near heberts

wish i had pictures, only a memory now

cmdrost 01-14-2010 12:15 PM

"back in the net days you couldnt just go out and murder the redfish like you can now. not even close to now"

Same for trout! Before the net ban....5 pounders were rare and considered a trophy.

Jordan 01-14-2010 01:19 PM

my hard head population is not phased by this conservation bullcrap !!

QUACKHEAD 01-14-2010 02:06 PM

my hard head population is not phased by this CONVERSATION bullcrap !!

FIXED IT FOR YA JORDAN.

Jordan 01-14-2010 02:58 PM

whatever

LaAngler 01-16-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 101599)

why do you insist on taking a crap on every thread?