SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fish didnt freeze in freezer question (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68509)

alphaman 05-28-2018 12:45 PM

Fish didnt freeze in freezer question

Hey i got some lemon fish and snapper. I put it in the freezer at the shop. But id didnt freeze. But fish is really cold! To touch.. Only been about a week no longer than 2 weeks. Also had son frozen gel packs under the fish. Is it still good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lil bubba 05-28-2018 02:30 PM

If it don't smell it should be good....

Gerald 05-28-2018 04:10 PM

Probably still good...... but I would cook it now and not wait any longer.

Smell the fish after it has warmed up just a little .... if it smells kind of fishy it has started to go bad.

PS..... don't tell your wife or she probably won't eat the fish.

Natural Light Kid 05-29-2018 07:54 AM

If they were in the freezer for that long, why didnt they freeze? Just curious.

Southern Sportsman 05-29-2018 12:50 PM

If you stack to many bags right on top of each other, with no air gap, it may not freeze for a long long time. I had this happen with crawfish before.

Natural Light Kid 05-29-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Sportsman (Post 835945)
If you stack to many bags right on top of each other, with no air gap, it may not freeze for a long long time. I had this happen with crawfish before.

Thanks. I just learned something.

Gerald 05-29-2018 08:54 PM

While living in a small apartment, I killed a deer that fall. After getting it all cut and wrapped, my freezer was packed full.... no room left for air to circulate. Two days later, the packages in the middle were just cool, not even close to freezing. I called a friend and took about 1/2 the meat to his house. A few weeks later, I bought a small freezer to have more room.

alphaman 05-30-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid (Post 835930)
If they were in the freezer for that long, why didnt they freeze? Just curious.

Could the problem be because the frig is in a metal shop concete floor? And its hot as hell in there imir we dont have the temp low enough in the freezer? Idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wetaline 05-30-2018 10:38 AM

We have 2 freezers in our shop on a concrete floor and it does get hot in there but they freeze well. I would totally agree with putting too many packs of fish on top of each other. I lay them in a single layer on baking sheets so they freeze flat. Once they are frozen, I take them off and stack them on top of each other. Also, make sure the air circulation is not blocked by packages.