SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Lost in the swamp! (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26279)

biglaketiger 12-19-2011 08:11 PM

Lost in the swamp!

My buddy went to scout for our hole in the morning, we are just south of arkansas line in north east la, me and the boys stayed behind and set up camp cause we got here later than expected, well, he was a no show at dark, then a hour later still a no show, he got a signal, made a call to me, has no idea where he is, waiting on WL&F to show up, they got a ping on his phone, sucks for him

Armand16 12-19-2011 08:14 PM

Wonder if they will charge him for the rescue

weedeater 12-19-2011 08:16 PM

tell him that's what GPS is for, atleast get one of them SPOT models

Dink 12-19-2011 08:17 PM

That's something to think about......I use my phone as my GPS. No signal, no GPS!!

jchief 12-19-2011 08:20 PM

Hope everything works out ok.

GPS, phone, compass. Always

meaux fishing 12-19-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 365118)
That's something to think about......I use my phone as my GPS. No signal, no GPS!!

not if you have the navionics app there is one for hunting too but I cant think of the name

iron man 12-19-2011 08:22 PM

No GPS=No Brains

2ndamendment 12-19-2011 08:26 PM

Hope he had a can of mosquito repelant. Might be getting his butt torn up right bout now.

biglaketiger 12-19-2011 08:27 PM

He has brains man..

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron man (Post 365124)
No GPS=No Brains

He has a compass, his phone was week, he isn't familiar with the area and didn't go far, from what little i talked to him he wasn't trusting his compass, this area isn't so easy to get around, the actual river looks like everything else, no banks, kinda hard to know when to turn. And he has brains. He is settled in on dry land and will ride the night out if he has to, he didn't want to run any further and get further lost.

"W" 12-19-2011 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by iron man (Post 365124)
No GPS=No Brains

:rolleyes:

bluewing 12-19-2011 08:33 PM

interesting read, keep us up to date

iron man 12-19-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biglaketiger (Post 365130)
He has a compass, his phone was week, he isn't familiar with the area and didn't go far, from what little i talked to him he wasn't trusting his compass, this area isn't so easy to get around, the actual river looks like everything else, no banks, kinda hard to know when to turn. And he has brains. He is settled in on dry land and will ride the night out if he has to, he didn't want to run any further and get further lost.

Thats smart but why wasn't he trusting his compass?

CajunSaint 12-19-2011 08:39 PM

Analog compass in my pack @ all times!!!!

huntin fool 12-19-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadly D (Post 365143)
Just like everyone else that gets lost they panic. Trust me if you go out enough it will happen to you too

X2. You go into a new area you've never been to, you begin to panic.

Hope it all works out and yall kill some birds.

southern151 12-19-2011 08:45 PM

Well, he'll spend years living this one down!!! Hope they get him out tonight!

iron man 12-19-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadly D (Post 365143)
Just like everyone else that gets lost they panic. Trust me if you go out enough it will happen to you too

It has already. The area I hunted last year and this year was thick pines and briars, not really thick with deer. Stalking can turn you around where I was but the road is straight east so follow the sun or go away from it or follow the compass straight east. GPS signal couldn't breach the thick pine cover. Hit the road and walk the mile back to the truck or hitch a ride. Google earth it first and pick out the nearest trail, road, river, or well traveled something and gets its bearing.

The night we went to the LPSO training facility with the Delayed Entry squad taught us alot about nav with asmuths and directions and nearest points.

On a side note hope all goes well. Bear Grylls would be proud.

Loneshark 12-19-2011 08:53 PM

Can you park by his truck and fire a couple of rounds in the air?

mcjaredsandwich 12-19-2011 08:53 PM

Thread went from good read and hoping the guy gets rescued, to story time with iron man.

Micah 12-19-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich (Post 365156)
Thread went from good read and hoping the guy gets rescued, to story time with iron man.

Dont they all:rolleyes:

"H" 12-19-2011 09:22 PM

Praying all will turn out ok on this.

Like D said, it happens to everyone sooner or later.
35 years ago as a young man, me & my duck hunting buddy got lost in the swamp off of the Tickfaw River. Went in before day light and came out about 10:00 pm that night. The local police was blowing sirens by my truck parked on the side of the road.
We were so far back we never heard a thing. Its been 35 years and still remember that day vividly!

Let us know if there is anything any of us could do to help.