SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Circle hooks for trout? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67581)

FF_T_Warren 09-08-2017 09:25 AM

Circle hooks for trout?

Any of you used circle hooks for speck fishing? I guess I'm specifically asking about using them for live bait under cork or Carolina rigged. I used to use kale hooks then swapped to trebles for live bait. My newer addiction of offshore fishing has brought me to use circle hooks and I'm wondering what kind of results y'all have with using circles on trout? It just seems often that when I go to set the hook on trout that many times I get nothing. I've just been thinking of trying them and wondering what results y'all may have seen.

marshrunner757 09-08-2017 07:27 PM

Back when I fished live bait, that's what I used. Works great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Flex 09-08-2017 09:23 PM

Yep. I use them under popping cork. I also like to use I think they're called octopus hooks? Weightless through an artificial cocahoe. Reel quick and it darts around about 6-10" below the surface. When I get into bait slicks and schools this is my go to. Always have a pole rigged with it and ready.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

eman 09-09-2017 08:58 AM

when my son was young and didn't know how to really set the hook i used them on his line w/ live bait. His hook up ratio improved over khale hooks.

FF_T_Warren 09-09-2017 09:07 AM

Thanks guys! I figured this would be the concensus but had never heard of anyone using them for trout. I mean knocking em down on artificial is always the best but when you are using live, it sucks hooking 1/3 or even worse sometimes

eman 09-09-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 826009)
Thanks guys! I figured this would be the concensus but had never heard of anyone using them for trout. I mean knocking em down on artificial is always the best but when you are using live, it sucks hooking 1/3 or even worse sometimes

You have to remember not to set the hook .Just start reeling. if you snap set a circle hook your ratio will not improve.

FREON 09-11-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 826011)
You have to remember not to set the hook .Just start reeling. if you snap set a circle hook your ratio will not improve.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

TroutSupport.com 09-12-2017 09:12 AM

Kahle hooks work well also, similar results to circle on trout.. only a moderate hookset is required.. maybe not even that... I am a fan of the circles though.. good stuff.

Miss Trial 11-30-2017 02:51 PM

If you are experienced trout fisherman, circle hooks will screw you up. For kids and people who don't know how to fish, it's a good option.

FF_T_Warren 11-30-2017 05:45 PM

I mean I’ve fished trout for years but since using circles on others species, it’s almost impossible for a fish to get off. I know they can but it’s much less than with J hooks or trebles. Just wondering how well they work on trout

eman 12-01-2017 09:33 AM

They work great if you can stop your self from setting the hook. Most people that have fished a while can't get the concept of ,just reel ,don't jerk.