SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Stories, History, and Tributes (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Born 1930 - 1979 (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20961)

"W" 07-17-2011 08:52 PM

Born 1930 - 1979

Those of You Born
1930 - 1979

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!

First, we survived being born to mothers
Who smoked and/or drank while they were
Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,
Tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,
Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode
Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children,
We would ride in cars with no car seats,
No booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day
Was always a special treat.

We drank water
From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends,
From one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon.
We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
And, we weren't overweight.
WHY?

Because we were
Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,
As long as we were back when the
Streetlights came on.

No one was able
To reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps
And then ride them down the hill, only to find out
We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes
a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.
There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable,
No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,
No cell phones, No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms. WE HAD FRIENDS
And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth
And there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,
And the worms did not live in us
Forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,
Although we were told it would happen,
We did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and
Knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal
With disappointment.
Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law
Was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best
Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years
Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them?
CONGRATULATIONS!

bohunterbiff 07-17-2011 09:14 PM

Amen!!!!!!!

"W" 07-17-2011 09:16 PM

im a 77er

Nasty 07-17-2011 09:18 PM

Correct...

I'm part of that generation...before the technology explosion. Alot of that is true for me. I was always outside inventing games to play. Good to remember those days after reading that... thanks W. I made it through all of my schooling (kindergarten, middle school, high school, college) without internet or a cell phone.

meaux fishing 07-17-2011 09:37 PM

Early 80's should be included in this... But maybe not. I didn't live in a house with cable till I was 17 and moved out my parents house... I was born in 80 btw

Keith_Stone 07-17-2011 09:39 PM

Yeah I remeber the good ole days !!

"W" 07-17-2011 09:40 PM

and the part about outside was the best....We always stayed outside...all summer long and bare foot most of the time.....I was lucky to live out in the country were would could shoot guns and had lots of land to do what we wanted..

How many guns did me and my brother make with sticks and old ax handles...

This is funny but I can remember like yesterday.... We would watch Tour of Duty and then go outside the next day and kick some azz in the barn yard

speck-chaser 07-17-2011 09:43 PM

Or play G I joe against cobra. Or He-man and skeletor,and play with them hot wheels on a lil homeade dirt track. And the remote controls took 16 c batteries to operate. lol

"W" 07-17-2011 09:52 PM

This may be whats wrong with me but....We drank the same water that the cows and horses drank...and would swim in the rice field water when pumping.....killed every bird that flew and ate it....we had a club house in the barn yard...always had a fire going and put some water in a pot,steal a few onions from the garden and clean what ever birds we killed and cook them

I ate them all....you dont even want to know

Salty 07-17-2011 10:06 PM

I was born in '29. :cool: Guess I missed OUt.

speck-chaser 07-17-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 288193)
I was born in '29. :cool: Guess I missed OUt.

bet you were excited when the wheel came out and electricity huh?:grinpimp:

"W" 07-17-2011 10:13 PM

Salty inverted OU football....made the very 1st football out of trout skin...

Salty 07-17-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 288201)
Salty inverted OU football....made the very 1st football out of trout skin...

:rotfl::rotfl:

Yep, I turned it upside down.

Ray 07-18-2011 11:03 AM

All I needed to be happy as a kid was a BB gun, a bike and a dog.

meaux fishing 07-18-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 288476)
All I needed to be happy as a kid was a BB gun, a bike and a dog.

:amen:

BigChaf 07-18-2011 12:08 PM

Birth Class of 1958 Salutes You and the good ole days, Parents could whip that a$$ without worrying about child services or lawyers, which is the problem with most kids today, I could ramble for hours, thanks W.

Ray 07-18-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChaf (Post 288507)
Birth Class of 1958 Salutes You and the good ole days, Parents could whip that a$$ without worrying about child services or lawyers, which is the problem with most kids today, I could ramble for hours, thanks W.

Any adult could whip dat azz. School, baby sitter, grand parents, aunts/uncles, next door neighbors. If you was bad, you got a whompin.

wtretrievers 07-18-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 288508)
Any adult could whip dat azz. School, baby sitter, grand parents, aunts/uncles, next door neighbors. If you was bad, you got a whompin.

AMEN!!!!!

I remember us fighting during a backyard football game, my dad lined all of us up with hands placed on the wall of the shop, pulled off his belt & said....here's the deal, I'm gonna swing level, you wanna move up & down that's up to you! He whooped all 10 of us!

SULPHITE 07-18-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtretrievers (Post 288519)
AMEN!!!!!

I remember us fighting during a backyard football game, my dad lined all of us up with hands placed on the wall of the shop, pulled off his belt & said....here's the deal, I'm gonna swing level, you wanna move up & down that's up to you! He whooped all 10 of us!

awesome! lol! you'd have 13 lawyers showing up at your door the next day nowadays!!

SaltERedneck 07-18-2011 12:31 PM

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,
Locks on doors or cabinets

I hear this stunts your growth??

Ray 07-18-2011 12:48 PM

I never locked my house when I lived in Cameron.
My neighbors would have did a thief worse than I would have.
And I had a pet coon living in the house too.
He didn't like strangers. Or girlfriends. Hadta lock him up if'n I had female company.

eman 07-20-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 288508)

And then they would call ya house and talk to ya mom or dad , so ya got another azz whippin when ya got home.:cry:
(Another from the class of 58)

joshdomingue 07-21-2011 07:23 AM

Man i was born in 82 and all of that applies to me ....... We were not allowed inside during the day unless it was time to eat...... and got a whippin by whoever saw you do it.......

swamp snorkler 07-31-2011 09:17 PM

And we could make a sling shot out of a stick, my mom would bring home some rubber straps from the hospital, and we would use old mardi gras beads as bullets!

BayBolt23 08-01-2011 05:34 AM

We would shoot birds, catch tadpoles, play with tonka trucks in the dirt. Sweat our arse off all day and grandma would bring us some orange Tang on ice

BassAssasin 08-01-2011 10:57 AM

Man i love tang! we still drink it when we go camping

Gerald 08-01-2011 01:11 PM

And go back a few more year........A hot cup of Ovaltine on a cold morning was great.

That is hot chocolate......for you youngsters.

And a red finger from Cherry koolaid......after you added some sugar to it.

wtretrievers 08-01-2011 01:16 PM

[QUOTE=Gerald;297706]And go back a few more year........A hot cup of Ovaltine on a cold morning was great.

That is hot chocolate......for you youngsters.

And a red finger from Cherry koolaid......after you added some sugar to it.[/

Koolaid stains! Can't wash it off your fingers!
We used to take the individual packs & pour it the guys gloves at work! They start sweating & they're fingers were red for a week!!!!! ;)

mr crab 01-25-2012 04:46 PM

I can't say that its exactly like the old days, but I raise my kids a whole lot like I was raised in respect to having to stay outside and butt whoopins. Its up to us as parents to keep them little behinds in line, and not to let em get too lazy. If i had a quarter for every time I heard "but little suzy down the street does or doesn't do this or that", boy I'd have a good start on that offshore boat!

mcjaredsandwich 01-25-2012 05:28 PM

" These generations have produced some of the best Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all."

Cept all the dummies runnin the country.

Im an 80s kids, barely. Grew up in the city but alot of this still applied to me. Didnt have cable till I was 16 but did have nintendo snes, 64, ps1, ps2, xbox, 360. I love being outside more than anything, but sometimes it just felt better inside at lunch time in the heat of the day.

Bluechip 01-25-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadly D (Post 381898)
The good ol days and the good kids back then, there was NO TALKING back to parents or you would get that butt tore up

Yep.....and the adults ate first, not the kids. And we survived.

"W" 01-25-2012 05:42 PM

And no salty cajun....most fished out of a 16ft boat with a 25...this covered big lake to the river

Ray 01-25-2012 05:44 PM

14' flat with a 20 hp.

Bluechip 01-25-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 381905)
14' flat with a 20 hp.

We had a 14 ft flat with a 15hp Evinrude.

QUACKHEAD 01-25-2012 06:14 PM

20 Hp Merc on a 14'. Would come out of the canal by Mrs. Grout's in Westlake and head to Prien or behind Olin Chem to fish.
Born in 59.

PaulMyers 01-25-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QUACKHEAD (Post 381927)
20 Hp Merc on a 14'. Would come out of the canal by Mrs. Grout's in Westlake and head to Prien or behind Olin Chem to fish.

Been there, done that many a time.

I can remember skiing on the river on holidays and only seeing 2 or 3 other boats.

+1

Top Dawg 01-25-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 288166)
Early 80's should be included in this... But maybe not. I didn't live in a house with cable till I was 17 and moved out my parents house... I was born in 80 btw

Definitely the early 80's

Top Dawg 01-25-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QUACKHEAD (Post 381927)
Born in 59.

Boy does that bring back some memories. Gas up right there at mrs grouts. And head "south"=210 lol

Jordan 01-25-2012 06:34 PM

This is how i growed up. Born in '86

Wide Open 01-25-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 381947)
This is how i growed up. Born in '86

Born in 80, and would not have had it any other way! Grew up respecting people and others possesions as well as mine, went to school in the city, and lived in the woods and on the water every non school day! still remember what it felt like to get a good azz woopin from the ole man! Talked about it today in fact with a man my pops grew up with, we just laughed as I agreed it made me a better person as my ole mans face turned red and smirked with shame and pride all at once! thats how it was, and it should still be. We live in a diffrient time zone now, and its just not the same!

Oh and about growing up in a flatboat, you betchu I did. we used #2 pencils sharpened to a fine point from my uncles ole' timer pocket knife when a loose rivet would let go in the ole' 16/52 Monarch over powered with the 40 yammahamm! ahh the good ole days:smokin:

CajunSaint 01-25-2012 07:57 PM

68 and I should be dead????

bluewing 01-25-2012 09:34 PM

Playing mables in the dirt, shooting robins in the chicken trees and stealing grandpaws Red Man. I'd go back in a second!!!!!!!

getonfish 01-26-2012 05:51 PM

75er here

The difference is that we had to think for ourselves and we were all the better for it. Now we have to protect our children from themselves because they can not make even simple decisions. Now days if you try to make kids think for themselves or discipline them you are either neglectful or abusive. That is a lot of the reason this country is going to the crapper.

The other day I found out that my 13 year old step son can not read a clock!!!! I ask him what the hell was wrong with him and started to give him the third degree and his mother tells me and I quote "leave him alone he will learn in his own good time" I still dont think she realizes why I started laughing my *** off.

swamp snorkler 01-27-2012 12:51 PM

Me and my brother use to go the gas station not to far from our house and buy packs of BB's to go shoot in the woods....... My son (who is 7) was at wal mart with and wanted some BB's so he pulled out his wallet (birthday and allowance money) and went to pay for his BB's.....don't you know you have to be 18 to buy BB's now. Kids these days are weiny's and I'm trying to make sure my kids don't turn out that way.

DUCKGOGETTER 01-27-2012 01:13 PM

If i had a quarter for every robin,black bird,cow bird,blue jay, chee chee bird etc. That i killed with my bb gun when i was a kid i wouldn't be working today. The only birds off limits were cardinals, wood******s and hummingbirds. My grandpa would give us a dollar for every brown thrush we would kill that was his favorite. I remember one time shooting a blue jay and breaking his wing my grandpa picked that sucker up and started poking it's tail with his fingers. He said boys get ready and sure nuff that sucker started hollering and blue jays were coming out the wood works we had a pretty heafty gumbo that night. That was a long time ago in the 80's.

lavocat 01-29-2012 05:22 PM

Here's to those born in 1958 like me. Never came in the house unilt well after dark and after mom threatened me at least 3 times. If I had been fined for every robin I shot it would take the national debt to pay it. Fished with cane poles and worms. There were no twist top bottles(which were all glass) the cans needed a can opener(also called a church key) and the ice chests were metal. Phone numbers were Glendale4260 and if you had a tv it was black and white with no remote and caught 3 channels if you had a big outside antenna. We could grocery shop over the phone and they would deliver the stuff to the house and put the cold stuff in the fridge with noone home cause the door was never locked. Keys in the car and truck also. Never had anything stolen. What a great time to grow up.

Reefman 01-30-2012 12:23 PM

Born 1951....a 33hp outboard was the biggest ya could get, weighed a ton. Metal rods, then came fiberglass, reels were strung with thick black braided nylon line. Our home wasn't air-conditioned until the mid sixties; used a big ol ceiling fan plus Hunter oscillating floor fans..still have one that works from when I was born. Was thrown out the house in summer around 7:30am came in 6:00pm for dinner. We always had a well balanced meal...there was no choice in whether we liked it or not. I drank water for the most part..no soft drinks..sometimes koolaide for special occasions. Always made Sunday Mass, before or after fishing/hunting..but we went. Favorite toys was an Erector set, Daisy BB gun and my own tool set. We always addressed grown-ups as Sir or M'am, if monetarily forgotten a knock on the back of the head always ensued as a reminder. We never ever asked for anything when shopping with mom or dad. Relaxing time after supper was on the front porch, sometimes visiting with neighbors. When the TV (B&W) was on Sunday evening we all watched The Ed Sullivan Show. I fell asleep listening to the Little Rock am station that played banned Rock and Roll artists after 12 midnight. Would never trade my youth for anything nor would I want to go back to those years...I had way too much fun to do it any better....

speck cc 02-03-2012 02:43 PM

damn, all so true... it helps to read it every once in a while to make you realize how much this world has changed... '79, i barely made the cut!

speckulator 02-05-2012 04:54 PM

born in 48 lived in a town with one building that was gas station store and post office had a big pot bellied stove in it for sitting around. you could see smoke from stills in the hills all the creeks had sand bars and clear cold water u could drink. we ate whatever we killed or caught. lots of good times then havent been back in 20 yrs or so probably nothing left there now. thanks for the meomeries

Feesherman 02-24-2012 09:45 AM

'72er here. Those were the days.