SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Live bait suggestions (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64727)

duckman4444 06-30-2016 07:21 AM

Live bait suggestions

Going to Grand isle this weekend. Planning on fishing Elmer's island from boat first thing in the morning, if no luck probably will head towards queen bess. My question is do yall suggest live shrimp or croakers. Just need some opinions

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rardoin 06-30-2016 07:37 AM

If you have access to both....bring both.

DaPointIsDaBomb 06-30-2016 07:56 AM

Definitely croakers The trout are spawning now and the croakers eat trout eggs Trout hate croakers for this

lsuriot 06-30-2016 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 799700)
Definitely croakers The trout are spawning now and the croakers eat trout eggs Trout hate croakers for this

That's a common misconception, I thought the same because that's what I was told! Look at Jerald Horst article on the subject. http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=3800

duckman4444 06-30-2016 08:07 AM

I mainly fish artificial but I am bringing 2 young ones with me so I wanted to make it easier. And didn't wanna mix the 2 baits if I can help it. Croakers sound better cause they are so much easier for me to keep alive. Lol thanks for the advice guys

DaPointIsDaBomb 06-30-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsuriot (Post 799703)
That's a common misconception, I thought the same because that's what I was told! Look at Jerald Horst article on the subject. http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=3800

I disagree. Those trout fry are swimming around and can see the croakers eating eggs. They don't forget that and when they are big enough to eat a croaker they do

Feesherman 06-30-2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 799706)
I disagree. Those trout fry are swimming around and can see the croakers eating eggs. They don't forget that and when they are big enough to eat a croaker they do

A fish has a tiny brain. Their memory is about as long as one of my beer farts.

Andy C 06-30-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 799716)

Old lady says my beer farts hang around a long time!! Lol

I thank it's the sound and not so much memory/sight. Just my thoughts.

wetaline 06-30-2016 09:38 AM

We just went and had croakers and live shrimp. The trout didn't even bite at the croackers and devoured the shrimp. Go figure. You never know, though.

DaPointIsDaBomb 06-30-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 799716)

It's a learned behavior like when they saw a bigger trout eat shrimp. They learned it was ok to eat shrimp

Feesherman 06-30-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 799722)
It's a learned behavior like when they saw a bigger trout eat shrimp. They learned it was ok to eat shrimp

No, it's not a learned behavior. It's a basic instinct. Huge difference. Your breathing when you popped out the womb was not a learned behavior was it?

DaPointIsDaBomb 06-30-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 799724)
No, it's not a learned behavior. It's a basic instinct. Huge difference. Your breathing when you popped out the womb was not a learned behavior was it?

Exactly. Just like trout know that croakers eat their eggs. It's instinct because somewhere down the line they learned it and it passed down.

It's like ducks. It's their instinct to fly south but they leaned that they don't have to fly as far as Louisiana anymore. They learned to see a DU project sign and know that everything is fine. The ponds will not freeze and their will be food there. A few generations later and it's now instinct

Feesherman 06-30-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 799726)
Exactly. Just like trout know that croakers eat their eggs. It's instinct because somewhere down the line they learned it and it passed down.

It's like ducks. It's their instinct to fly south but they leaned that they don't have to fly as far as Louisiana anymore. They learned to see a DU project sign and know that everything is fine. The ponds will not freeze and their will be food there. A few generations later and it's now instinct

I have seen the light!!!!!

Crawl79 06-30-2016 02:12 PM

Last weekend was fishing beaches near Fourchon. Tons of boats but we were putting more fish in boat with plastic than the other boats using live bait.

duckman4444 06-30-2016 02:35 PM

Trust me I'd rather plastics too but with young ones sometimes the live bait is a Lil easier. Lol

rardoin 06-30-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 799700)

The mega male trout will eat trout eggs to cause the female trout to spawn again. For this reason I use the Matrix egg suspended soft bait. It can't be beat for the big 'uns.

duckman4444 06-30-2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rardoin (Post 799757)
The mega male trout will eat trout eggs to cause the female trout to spawn again. For this reason I use the Matrix egg suspended soft bait. It can't be beat for the big 'uns.

Lmbo yeah I am going to the store right now and ask for that one.

biggun 06-30-2016 07:48 PM

U want some Big Trout??? Use some Live Pogie...

Andy C 06-30-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rardoin (Post 799757)

Do you use a poping cork with that bait or just tie it on right out of the package ?

ahlangle 06-30-2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggun (Post 799774)
U want some Big Trout??? Use some Live Pogie...

Do dat