SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Am I the only one on here that didn't limit out? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36188)

Geauxtigers1421 09-15-2012 10:42 AM

Am I the only one on here that didn't limit out?

Well, opening day of teal. Was pretty excited to shoot some birds. Heard the population was up this year. Saw 2 wood ducks all morning, no teal. I was in big branch WMA and didn't hear many shots at all around me. Got to the launch after the hunt and talked to everyone. Nobody shot a bird and only one person saw a teal. Figured it was a slow day then get on here to see everyone's limits in like 30 minutes! Lol

Anyone care to share some public land spots or WMAs that are decent? I've been going to big branch because I dont know anyone that goes anywhere else and can't afford a lease but big branch just hasn't produced the last 3 seasons very much. Shot about 15 ducks total last year there. Any locations or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Hopedale Hustler 09-15-2012 11:40 AM

Big branch sucks plus we got a win ou of the NE pushing birds west where all these guys are from...when this front passes through here this week the wind will shift out the NW and will push birds here...we limited on our lease in the manchac area but only cause we hold birds ok and we shot well only shot at two flocks knocked down 8 in 6 shots...only saw one other flock while picking up dekes....

Geauxtigers1421 09-15-2012 11:47 AM

Yeah I've realized haha. I just don't know anywhere else to go around here so that's always been my go to because it's only 15 min away. I'm more than willing to make the drive somewhere else though if it's any better than there!

specktator 09-15-2012 12:00 PM

Few people around here in Pecan Island didn't do well. Seems like most are people who hunt south of hwy.

Shawn Braquet 09-15-2012 01:02 PM

Dont feel bad, i have a lease in vinton, far southwest corner of the state and shot the only teal that came into range

bgizzle 09-15-2012 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Buddy in gc goose egged and another in wax killed 4!Attachment 40329we did aight

meaux fishing 09-15-2012 01:28 PM

We only killed 6 out of our blind

duckfreak 09-15-2012 04:32 PM

Hope it gets better for the marsh guys once they get shot out of the rice fields. Had a buddy that hunted the wax today as well and only got five. He said biologist check 100 people and only 50 birds taken.

bgizzle 09-15-2012 04:39 PM

They ain't leavin the rice!!! Quadruple the food from last yr

Msucowpoke51 09-15-2012 07:43 PM

We shot the only teal two teal that came into our range, we hunt out of grand lake. There were a TON of big ducks, we had a group of 3 and another group of 4 big ducks light in our pond and several other groups fly within range, but all that means is i'll be really pissed when we dont see any big ducks when their season starts haha

Montauk17 09-15-2012 07:58 PM

Didn't see a teal all morning....prolly cause I was sleeping?

Capt.B 09-15-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgizzle (Post 493142)
They ain't leavin the rice!!! Quadruple the food from last yr

Three more days of pressure in the rice and they'll definitely thin out......

bgizzle 09-15-2012 08:53 PM

Not when they can retreat to a 200acre farm that no one harms them at. Just when they fly they get shot at

cmcnabb 09-15-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.B (Post 493223)
Three more days of pressure in the rice and they'll definitely thin out......

Past experience proves this true. The shooting will taper off from the hot and heavy action in the rice to a somewhat slower but steady pace. Birds will still be avalaible in the rice, just not as easy of a limit. Then again, a small front can restock the rice and give re runs of opening day action