SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Question about clear gelatinous globs of goo (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44820)

trtdds 06-11-2013 09:25 PM

Question about clear gelatinous globs of goo

We were fishing last night throwing crankbaits and topwaters. With almost every cast we were hooking globs of clear gelatinous goo. It looked like jellyfish with no tentacles. The water was full of them. I haven't seen anything like it before. Can any one tell me what it was. Another interesting occurrence was the number of gafftops we hooked under the working birds. We must of hooked and landed 4 or 5 gafftop to every trout. I have my fish de-hooker back in the boat now! Definitely an interesting late afternoon fishing trip for sure. We fished south end due to stiff south wind.

calcutta37 06-11-2013 09:27 PM

Big lake???????

CajunSaint 06-11-2013 09:29 PM

BP?

trtdds 06-11-2013 09:47 PM

Yep South end of BL

cduhon 06-11-2013 10:08 PM

I noticed it also at the beach last week. Threw cast net and got a bucket of goo every time. I have seen it several times in lake, not sure what causes the bloom of it.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

trtdds 06-11-2013 10:16 PM

Any idea what it is?

Top Dawg 06-11-2013 10:28 PM

I just noticed it when the water gets really salty. Catch it all the time in the cast net. Another fun fact. It u disturb the jelly in the water at night it glows.

drjay 06-11-2013 10:30 PM

Fairly certain that it is some type of jellyfish. Ctenophores?

jchief 06-11-2013 10:58 PM

It is jelly. Get it on the "sensitive" parts and it does burn.

Flatfishfreak 06-12-2013 01:21 AM

Run threw it in your boat at night and prop wash glows.

10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish

FF_T_Warren 06-12-2013 01:44 AM

Yea that's jellyfish. They light up blue and purple and green too. Really cool stuff

papap 06-12-2013 01:46 AM

We used to catch it shrimping. We called it burning jelly. Burnt like hell on your skin.

Tete Dur 06-12-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjay (Post 592479)
Fairly certain that it is some type of jellyfish. Ctenophores?

Correct. It is most likely a Ctenophore. Also known as a comb jelly. They do not have tentacles or stinging cells (nematocysts). So they don't sting. Some species of them are capable of bioluminescence which is the ability to make themselves glow or light up using types of proteins, if I'm not mistaken.

swamp snorkler 06-12-2013 06:30 AM

That crap will end a good night of skimming real quick.

MarshRat89 06-12-2013 06:45 AM

We get em every year here in VB also. They're Sometimes some aggravating lil suckers to get out the net.

Duck Butter 06-12-2013 04:27 PM

You can see them bioluminesce at night in the surf sometimes in Florida. Makes you feel like you have been drinking too much:rotfl:

There is another 'blob' in freshwater that most people think are gar eggs or frog eggs but are actually called bryozoans, you can look em up and you have probably seen em before and not known what they were

cool story i know:smokin::*****:

Top Dawg 06-12-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 592657)
You can see them bioluminesce at night in the surf sometimes in Florida. Makes you feel like you have been drinking too much:rotfl:

There is another 'blob' in freshwater that most people think are gar eggs or frog eggs but are actually called bryozoans, you can look em up and you have probably seen em before and not known what they were

cool story i know:smokin::*****:

This week in Florida we were walkin down the beach at night. And they have little dune lakes where the water is trapped in when the tide gets high. All the kids were playin in it during the day and I told them that's where all the water from the hotels toilet goes when u flush. Well that night they walked in it and the water was lighting up around their feet. And they were like "there really are chemicals in this water." Lol I said I tried to tell y'all! :eek:

Duck Butter 06-12-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 592662)
This week in Florida we were walkin down the beach at night. And they have little dune lakes where the water is trapped in when the tide gets high. All the kids were playin in it during the day and I told them that's where all the water from the hotels toilet goes when u flush. Well that night they walked in it and the water was lighting up around their feet. And they were like "there really are chemicals in this water." Lol I said I tried to tell y'all! :eek:

:rotfl: nature be crazy