SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Marsh Blind Build (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68562)

cgoods17 06-14-2018 07:58 AM

Marsh Blind Build

guys, looking for some input and ideas on how to build a blind in marsh.

just joined a club which already has multiple blinds in place, some in good shape and some not so much... anywhere from platforms, island pits, and 55 gallon drums, etc.

question is, i will be rebuilding some and tearing others down and starting from scratch, and i will be looking for ideas and input from you guys on what works and what doesnt work.

please post pictures of builds if you can. this marsh is a mixture of salt/prairie grass and some patches of roseau cane throughout some ares.

thanks is advance.

Matt G 06-14-2018 08:27 PM

We made a boat slip with t-post and hog wire then brushed the Hell out of it. Pull the boat in and hunt out of the boat. Works fairly well if you have a boat comfortable enough to hunt out of.

jpcajun 06-15-2018 03:44 PM

What Matt G said.... that is what we used to do and it worked great! That was until big money came in and stole our lease

ScubaLatt 06-15-2018 03:57 PM

marsh blind

1 Attachment(s)
here's one with 55 gal poly drums.

Dogface 06-15-2018 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaLatt (Post 836808)

That?s how we build ours. Works great.

BGcoreg 06-16-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Are those barrells cut in half? Does your feet touch the bottom if your sitting on that wider board (right side of pic)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dogface 06-17-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGcoreg (Post 836881)
Are those barrells cut in half? Does your feet touch the bottom if your sitting on that wider board (right side of pic)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We cut ours to 22in and yes, your feet touch the bottom.

specktator 06-18-2018 09:28 AM

Started out with 55 gal drums when first started hunting marsh. They restrict your range of motion, you're always standing in the water which isn't fun when it's cold, and they also make a great spot for water mocassins to hang out during the offseason. We started building platforms. Little more work to hide em, but well worth the added comfort. Just back it up to a big rosseaux patch and that will help conceal it alot.

Dogface 06-18-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 836959)
Started out with 55 gal drums when first started hunting marsh. They restrict your range of motion, you're always standing in the water which isn't fun when it's cold, and they also make a great spot for water mocassins to hang out during the offseason. We started building platforms. Little more work to hide em, but well worth the added comfort. Just back it up to a big rosseaux patch and that will help conceal it alot.

Never had any of those problems with ours. We bail them out after a rain and never had a problem with restricted motion. Snakes aren?t much of a problem but mice sure stink after they have been dead a while 😃. We still have a few platform blinds but find the barrel blinds more comfortable. To each his own.

Top Dawg 06-19-2018 08:20 PM

Im a fan of sunken pit blinds

specktator 06-20-2018 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 837039)
Im a fan of sunken pit blinds

If you've got the money, this is definitely the best route.

barbarian 06-20-2018 01:13 PM

If you want in your face decoying shots as often as possible, these are 4 very important
1. Keep it as low profile as possible
2. Keep it as real looking and natural as possible
3. Don’t leave a hole in your cover. Can’t have too much.
4. Do not include boat as part of blind.

To do so usually a pit blind is your best option, then barrels, then boat blind and lastly platform. Some marshes allow bigger and higher blinds but I still stick to my 3 priorities.

airborneduckhunter 06-20-2018 02:35 PM

If in marsh with semi hard land, two pallets side by side. use 2x4s to construct box frame, chicken wire around, brush in. Cheap, simple, dry to semi dry depending on water level. Park boat 200-300 away and paddle pirogue if you have one and cover while hunting.

Dogface 06-20-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airborneduckhunter (Post 837066)
If in marsh with semi hard land, two pallets side by side. use 2x4s to construct box frame, chicken wire around, brush in. Cheap, simple, dry to semi dry depending on water level. Park boat 200-300 away and paddle pirogue if you have one and cover while hunting.

Watch out for nails when the pallets get old and start falling apart. Been there, done that!! 😡

Quackhead62 06-21-2018 01:25 PM

I?ve been hunting out of sunken over pack drums for 15 years in the marsh. To me this is the most cost effective way of having a sunken blind in the marsh. It also keep your profile low. One thing to think about if you are planning of putting a sunken blind in you need to get it in the ground early enough in the year so the natural vegetation has time to grow back, because the land around your freshly sunken blind look rough and will require more brush to make it disappear for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gckid 06-21-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

we do something similar but use a galvanized or plastic horse trough

meat killer 86 06-22-2018 02:28 PM

I bet me or your brother in law could help if you needed some help or advice.