SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   12 gauge shotgun (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55378)

bravokiller254 08-04-2014 05:08 AM

12 gauge shotgun

Looking into buying a new 12 ga. for duck and squirrel hunting. Havent owned a shotgun in years and my last one was a remington 1100. Any input on a good quality gun would be helpful, or input on ones to stay away from. Thanks

Smalls 08-04-2014 08:40 AM

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I use a Remington 887 (pump) for everything. Probably not the best gun on the market, but for the money, its a good gun.

I had issues with it at first, with it jamming every time I pumped it. Sent it back to Remington, and in less than 2 weeks, had if back. I've only had it jam twice since then, and I've had the gun 2 years now. Shot everything from 3 inch turkey loads to target loads through it, handles them all pretty well. Hunt everything from turkey to squirrel with it. Its relatively light, at least compared to my PawPaw's '57 A-5 which I shot for a year+ until I was sitting in the marsh at Sabine watching the gun rust.

So, I put er up, got the 887 with its Armorlok coating, and haven't looked back.

But its all personal need. Sometimes I miss shooting that semi-auto, but the pump is just a fun challenge in hunting, and at the time, it fit in my price range.

BassYakR 08-04-2014 08:50 AM

Im also in the market for a shotgun. I havent had one in about 7 years since all of my guns were stolen. Ive only ever shot a pump shotgun... Not sure what to get either... and i dont want to spend a fortune on something that ill probably rarely use.

BuckingFastard 08-04-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassYakR (Post 711589)
Im also in the market for a shotgun. I havent had one in about 7 years since all of my guns were stolen. Ive only ever shot a pump shotgun... Not sure what to get either... and i dont want to spend a fortune on something that ill probably rarely use.

ill sell ya one!:D

BassYakR 08-04-2014 09:29 AM

Free fifty?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I make oil 08-04-2014 09:37 AM

If your looking for a Pump the Novas are nice. I won a Mossberg Pump in Camo at a DU event several years ago and it seems to be a nice gun. I keep it as a back up gun at the camp. I also have an old 870 that was my go to for many many years. If your looking for an automatic I'd recommend a Berreta or a Benelli. I shoot a Berreta. You can't go wrong with either. It's all about what you want the gun to do and how much you have to spend.

AubreyLaHaye458 08-04-2014 10:16 AM

I know it's not really cool to shoot a pump anymore, but I shoot a SuperNova. Bought it used about 5 years ago and have not had any problems with it. I love it.

My dad has the 887 and has been nothing but problems.

Smalls 08-04-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 (Post 711608)
My dad has the 887 and has been nothing but problems.

That's about 50% of the reviews I hear. Its definitely a hit or miss. What has he had issues with on his?

I like my 887, but given a second chance, I may have gone with a different gun. MAY HAVE. I was very impressed with Remington's customer service and haste in getting my gun fixed and back to me. I had 2 different gunsmiths in Lake Charles look at the gun, and neither could fix it. I think they just didn't know what they were doing, cause it took longer to ship my gun and get it back than it did for Remington to fix it. 2 weeks there and back. My gun sat at a gunsmith's for 2 weeks before he looked at the damn thing, then called me to say he couldn't fix it.

Will definitely consider giving any future business to Remington as well.

AubreyLaHaye458 08-04-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls (Post 711643)
That's about 50% of the reviews I hear. Its definitely a hit or miss. What has he had issues with on his?

I like my 887, but given a second chance, I may have gone with a different gun. MAY HAVE. I was very impressed with Remington's customer service and haste in getting my gun fixed and back to me. I had 2 different gunsmiths in Lake Charles look at the gun, and neither could fix it. I think they just didn't know what they were doing, cause it took longer to ship my gun and get it back than it did for Remington to fix it. 2 weeks there and back. My gun sat at a gunsmith's for 2 weeks before he looked at the damn thing, then called me to say he couldn't fix it.

Will definitely consider giving any future business to Remington as well.

Everything. Not shucking shot shells. No loading new shells. Shells getting stuck. It's probably just a bad one but it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

Cajun83 08-04-2014 06:31 PM

Bought a Mossberg 500 A a few years back, it would drop shells out of the mag tube on recoil but a quick 1/16" bend to the cartridge stop and it's run like a champ since.

meaux fishing 08-04-2014 07:08 PM

If you're looking for a inexpensive auto check out the weatherby sa-08. I've seen a lot of good reviews. Also check out the franchi

SULPHITE 08-04-2014 09:09 PM

A5400 Extrevincaxus is what I'd buy....

bravokiller254 08-04-2014 10:08 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the input.

Dblbeard 10-27-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I make oil (Post 711600)
If your looking for a Pump the Novas are nice. I won a Mossberg Pump in Camo at a DU event several years ago and it seems to be a nice gun. I keep it as a back up gun at the camp. I also have an old 870 that was my go to for many many years. If your looking for an automatic I'd recommend a Berreta or a Benelli. I shoot a Berreta. You can't go wrong with either. It's all about what you want the gun to do and how much you have to spend.

U will not find another gun to out pattern the mossberg, the over sized barrel has a slower tapper which means the shot isn't going to cross as fast!

Op,, they have a lot of great shotguns on the market. I'd get what felt good.

Natural Light Kid 10-28-2014 02:40 PM

I have a Mossberg 935 I will make a sweet deal on. Gun is like new!

evidrine 10-28-2014 05:33 PM

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 600 (basically an early 500) and is still my go to gun. After all the years and abuse it has never let me down. Dblbeard is right about the pattern. I have never found another brand of gun that compares to the pattern of a Mossberg. Another personal preferences is safety placement on the Mossberg. It's positioned on the top of the receiver where I can constantly keep my thumb on it. You can shoulder the gun and switch from on-safety to off-safety all in one motion. Super fast and convenient.

Cajun83 10-29-2014 12:05 AM

Same here, been running a 500A for sixteen years. It's never failed or jammed.

Sent via dixie cup string phone.

Dblbeard 10-29-2014 06:00 AM

Deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid (Post 726814)
I have a Mossberg 935 I will make a sweet deal on. Gun is like new!

How much?

Shawn Braquet 10-29-2014 06:13 AM

My vote would be on the Nova

mr crab 10-29-2014 06:41 AM

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/ext...rels_Three.jpg