SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wading Gear (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28675)

Slidellkid 03-04-2012 09:21 AM

Wading Gear

I think I would like to try some wading. It looks like it could be fun. Where is the best place to buy wading gear. I'd need waders, a belt and other stuff that I probably don't even know about. I don't want any junk, does anybody sell quality stuff in Lake Charles or Lafayette?

Thanks.

Dan

huntin fool 03-04-2012 09:38 AM

Fish-n-Hunt wade belt hands down, they also make wading nets. Academy carries their items.

PaulMyers 03-04-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 400540)
Fish-n-Hunt wade belt hands down, they also make wading nets. Academy carries their items.

So does Lake Charles Tackle and they are a site sponsor. If you go by LCT make sure you let them know you are a member of SaltyCajun.com

Slidellkid 03-04-2012 11:02 AM

Where do I get Simms waders?

Slidellkid 03-04-2012 11:08 AM

ok, does everyone use stocking foot waders for fishing or do they use boot type waders like we wear for duck hunting? What is the benefit of stocking foot waders over boot type waders?

T-Bone 03-04-2012 11:14 AM

How about some insight from all of you wade fishermen. What are the necessities for wade fishing? Type of gear, do's and don'ts, tips, advice. That would be great. Anyone ever wade fish @ the Point or the Pass?

"W" 03-04-2012 11:18 AM

You can go to Academy and they have a good spread of waders and if your not going to wade a lot....I would just buy the cheapest pair

I use neoprene with built in boots...I don't wade when its warm and I can catch trout out of my boat easy....

Slidellkid 03-04-2012 11:25 AM

I have some lightweight waders I use for duck hunting. They are not neopreme so I would have to dress warmly for any kind of cool water. The boots are a little big on me but I suppose I could use them to see if I like it. I used to wade farm ponds on a regular basis for bass and stroked some fish.

Raymond 03-04-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 400544)
So does Lake Charles Tackle and they are a site sponsor. If you go by LCT make sure you let them know you are a member of SaltyCajun.com

Bought mines there Paul and it is the best hands down. Academy LC doesn't have that brand. If ur new to wading I would go cheap at first, $79 Magellan waders and boots r all u really need. I have Simms which r a step up but not worth the $$ if u just want to try wading, it's not for errebody.

Raymond 03-04-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slidellkid (Post 400571)
ok, does everyone use stocking foot waders for fishing or do they use boot type waders like we wear for duck hunting? What is the benefit of stocking foot waders over boot type waders?

Makes ya feel like chuck Norris n da wata!! Easier moving around with lace up boots when wading mud.

Salty 03-04-2012 01:46 PM

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not heed any wading advice from W. He has no idea what it's like to wade on an incoming tide.

:p

PaulMyers 03-04-2012 01:48 PM

I think I'm going to get the Mag II waders from Academy and then try to find me some Simms boots to go with them. Your feets can't be to comfortable. :smokin:

mikedatiger 03-04-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 400629)
I think I'm going to get the Mag II waders from Academy and then try to find me some Simms boots to go with them. Your feets can't be to comfortable. :smokin:

I have the Mag IIs and like em. They work good enough for those that only wade a few times of year.

As far as essentials, a good wade belt like the ones from Fish N Hunt will have pliers and a stringer. Get a floating net and/or boga. Recommend quick clips as well such as Tony Clips. You really don't need a ton of gear to wade, and IMO the less you bring the better.

Raymond 03-04-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 400629)

Go Simms, I'll try to remember to forward site I got mines from.

PaulMyers 03-04-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 400639)

Cool Deal!

meaux fishing 03-04-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 400639)

So what's so great about the Simms? I know you had the magII's what's the big difference?

mcjaredsandwich 03-04-2012 03:16 PM

I have the foreverlast belt, its got a back support and I find it nice.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...g+belt&Ntk=All

Raymond 03-04-2012 05:02 PM

Foreverlast didn't last for me(2) and I'm done with them. Had the mag2's that lasted 13 months before the azz leaked and warranty is nonexistent. Simms makes
most of their waders in
montana by hand. Seams
are double stiched and glued
not taped like the knockoffs. Warranty is top notch with
first repair free, they can b
fixed. Next year I will have the g4's if I wins da lottree!!

Ray 03-04-2012 05:12 PM

I won a TTF wading belt at the first Salty Cajun tournament.
It is pretty good. I don't like the stringer that came with it.
I bought a plastic stringer so the fish slide down better. The
rope stringer is too hard to get the fish on and off.
I use it for surf fishing and fishing off the rocks. It is a tough
belt fo sho.

Slidellkid 03-04-2012 05:14 PM

What are quick clips and what do you use them for?