SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mad People today (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32296)

"W" 06-07-2012 03:36 PM

Mad People today

Didn't get on water till 9 am....due to issues...

Boats were stacked at landing...I asked what yall doing

Weirs Closed.........

FREON 06-07-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444357)
Didn't get on water till 9 am....due to issues...

Weirs Closed.........

Issues???? Is dat what U call changing diapers? :grinpimp:

CaptSI 06-07-2012 04:31 PM

hopefully it will keep the anchor chunkers off the lake this weekend

Salty 06-07-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444357)
Didn't get on water till 9 am....due to having to study for the captain's test that Salty forced me into Saturday....

Weirs Closed.........

Geaux get 'em, Chief.

mriguy 06-07-2012 05:02 PM

Actually......

They were waiting for you to arrive so they could follow.

"W" 06-07-2012 05:05 PM

Some mad peeps....wasted all that gas when they could of called

ScubaLatt 06-07-2012 11:33 PM

why r they closed? I didn't think they closed during the summer?

Gerald 06-08-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaLatt (Post 444678)
why r they closed? I didn't think they closed during the summer?

They are trying to control the salinity back in the marsh. Back this spring Big Lake water was very low salinity so they left the gate at Grand Bayou wier open.

Now that the lake water is saltier, they don't want "lake water" to go back into the marsh unless the marsh water is below a certain salinity.

I guess it has not rained in that area and the salinity got up to the "target" maximum level so the gate was closed.

If it rains in that area, the gate might open back up for a while.

"W" 06-08-2012 06:46 AM

Closing the weirs will affect the lake and keeping them closed over a long peoird of time will change the lakes habitat

Smalls 06-08-2012 07:55 AM

Not closing the weirs will further degrade that marsh because the salinities get too high back in there and it kills the marsh. That marsh back there is not supposed to have a salinity reading of 28 ppt, which it did for several months last year. That is not healthy for the marsh and it will kill the grass back there, just creating more mudflats and eventually, more open water.

toodeep 06-08-2012 08:35 AM

heard they were open but there were pipes in the opening going threw. rumor i heard was someone was caught in there at nite.

Smalls 06-08-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toodeep (Post 444754)
heard they were open but there were pipes in the opening going threw. rumor i heard was someone was caught in there at nite.

Not a rumor. They caught 3 guys in there shrimping with a trawl at night. Not good for those guys, they could drop the hammer on them if they wanted to. Violated federal law by being on a refuge after sunset.

toodeep 06-08-2012 08:57 AM

ouch

SULPHITE 06-08-2012 09:21 AM

SHIP CHANNEL...theres your problem

never going away...so its weirs or no marsh...

"W" 06-08-2012 09:27 AM

That marsh survived years with out weirs

Duck Butter 06-08-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444778)

Freshwater/Brackish vegetation can survive for a little while, but if salinity stays up, the plants die, and more salt tolerant plants move in which aren't generally as desirable of plants.

Fill in the ship channel or bust!:rotfl:

YellowMouth7 06-08-2012 09:41 AM

My friend I was with when we caught all those big trout last weekend called the 1800 # yesterday at spoke to a Ladie who said they closed grand bayou due to an "Over population" of game fish in the reserve due to hi salinity levels. What y'all make of tgat

Smalls 06-08-2012 10:03 AM

Well i'll tell you that's a BS reason. They closed it because of high salinities, not an "over population of game fish". The weirs are operated the way they are today to maintain that marsh as best as possible. It will never be what it was because of the ship channel and increased salinities to the entire system. People who do not have an eye for wetland vegetation will say a marsh is a marsh is a marsh. Well that is simply not true. That marsh there, as well as the majority of the marshes in south Louisiana, were historically fresh marsh. Today they exist, if you're lucky, as intermediate to brackish marshes, but close to the lake, those are often salt marsh.

Now there is not much you can do to remedy that. That is the repercussions of human influence on the environment.

I wouldn't necessarily say that salt marsh species aren't as desirable, but salt marshes aren't as diverse as fresh or even brackish marshes. You have a wider range of salt tolerance, but a major decrease in species, which means once you hit that salinity threshold (which is quite high for some species; 50 ppt for some strains of Spartina alterniflora, or oyster grass or smooth cordgrass for some), you lose everything.

"W" 06-08-2012 10:12 AM

Now that its closed....the weirs were producing limits of trout everyday If you knew how to fish them there..(big trick) is knowing the few holes to throw in

There was a 9lber and I know of 12-18 trout over 7lbs

Duck Butter 06-08-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls (Post 444798)
Well i'll tell you that's a BS reason. They closed it because of high salinities, not an "over population of game fish". The weirs are operated the way they are today to maintain that marsh as best as possible. It will never be what it was because of the ship channel and increased salinities to the entire system. People who do not have an eye for wetland vegetation will say a marsh is a marsh is a marsh. Well that is simply not true. That marsh there, as well as the majority of the marshes in south Louisiana, were historically fresh marsh. Today they exist, if you're lucky, as intermediate to brackish marshes, but close to the lake, those are often salt marsh.

Now there is not much you can do to remedy that. That is the repercussions of human influence on the environment.

I wouldn't necessarily say that salt marsh species aren't as desirable, but salt marshes aren't as diverse as fresh or even brackish marshes. You have a wider range of salt tolerance, but a major decrease in species, which means once you hit that salinity threshold (which is quite high for some species; 50 ppt for some strains of Spartina alterniflora, or oyster grass or smooth cordgrass for some), you lose everything.

You are correct, I should have said desirable for ducks, they like a little diversity and saltmarshes just don't have the diversity of a freshwater/brackish system.

SULPHITE 06-08-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444778)

data please!

SULPHITE 06-08-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444804)

this year??

Asterisk-Rich 06-08-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 444809)
this year??

Did you not read yellowmouths report the other day?

SULPHITE 06-08-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich (Post 444815)
Did you not read yellowmouths report the other day?

yep but i want W to tell me if its this year...gotta realize we are in a big trout recession...

Smalls 06-08-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 444806)
You are correct, I should have said desirable for ducks, they like a little diversity and saltmarshes just don't have the diversity of a freshwater/brackish system.

Now that I will agree with. Not too many ducks like the salt marsh. And the ones that do, man they aren't the best eatin' birds in the world.

Duck Butter 06-08-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls (Post 444821)
Now that I will agree with. Not too many ducks like the salt marsh. And the ones that do, man they aren't the best eatin' birds in the world.

Yeah we were fishing with a guide last year in Leeville and he kept saying the ducks don't come down there like they used to because of Ducks Unlimited shortstopping, the usual stuff, and just looking around there is hardly any reason for a dabbling duck to go there! Nothing to eat! I of course didn't say anything because nothing is going to change the minds of people that are already dead set

Duck Butter 06-08-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 444817)
yep but i want W to tell me if its this year...gotta realize we are in a big trout recession...

flip flop flip flop:rotfl:

seems just yesterday I heard the exact same thing, but today there are 9 lbers being caught!

"W" 06-08-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 444809)
this year??

This is the 1st 9lber I heard of in almost a year....and I have caught tones of 7s but
If you funnel the lake and block off everything but one cut u will catch some bigger trout due to only way in or out....so ur % is greater

PaulMyers 06-08-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444829)
If you funnel the lake and block off everything but one cut u will catch some bigger trout due to only way in or out....so ur % is greater

Not if there aren't any big trout left to catch! :rolleyes:

1fastmerc 06-08-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 445009)

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evis102 06-08-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444804)
Now that its closed....the weirs were producing limits of trout everyday If you knew how to fish them there..(big trick) is knowing the few holes to throw in

Ya just had to get up at 2am to beat the guides back there.

MathGeek 06-08-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 445009)

Wow, what a rhetorical master, managing to sneak the straw man fallacy, the ecological fallacy, and the hasty generalization fallacy into a single sentence.

PaulMyers 06-08-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 445081)
Wow, what a rhetorical master, managing to sneak the straw man fallacy, the ecological fallacy, and the hasty generalization fallacy into a single sentence.

I do what I can. :D

Top Dawg 06-08-2012 05:59 PM

Just think how good the duck hunting is gonna be in big pasture this year. :)

hewes 06-08-2012 06:57 PM

Why don't they have an alternate way to let people have access to that federal reserve? Maybe a boat lift for small boats so the public would have a place to crab and fish. Why do we allow the government to deny us access?

"W" 06-08-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewes (Post 445117)
Why don't they have an alternate way to let people have access to that federal reserve? Maybe a boat lift for small boats so the public would have a place to crab and fish. Why do we allow the government to deny us access?

Because the Government owns it and they can do what they want....its a privilege to go back there not a right

Top Dawg 06-08-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 445178)
Because the Government owns it and they can do what they want....its a privilege to go back there not a right

We are the government. We own it.

jdm4x43732 06-08-2012 09:34 PM

25 or bust

"W" 06-08-2012 09:45 PM

25 or Bust

Will"E"Fish 06-08-2012 11:07 PM

W They told u not to eat that ice cream this late . Take your medicine and get sum sleep. Oh yeah I sent sum management data to Mr Perridon and waiting for his response.All containing the the 5 W's.Who,What ,When,Where,and Without.

rainy_day 06-09-2012 12:18 AM

Can people with access to launch behind the weirs still fish crab and shrimp.
behind the weirs when they are closed.......

Gerald 06-09-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainy_day (Post 445233)
Can people with access to launch behind the weirs still fish crab and shrimp.
behind the weirs when they are closed.......

When the Grand Bayou weir is closed..... All of the East Cove unit of Cameron Prairie NR is closed. When the weir is open, you can only access the area by boat and can not get on the land.

There is still lots of marsh back in that area that is leased out that is still open...... as far as I know.

"W" 06-09-2012 09:59 PM

A lot less boats at launch today now that the weirs are closed

rainy_day 06-09-2012 11:09 PM

It'l be brackish until the next storm comes by
Then they start all over again with a very dead marsh that nothing lives in..
Another thing all these levees cause tides to run higher than normal.
This is why Lake Charles Floods now with any little Hurricane
Coming any where near us..

deltahunter85 06-11-2012 03:19 PM

well, its a hard subject to grasp. but if you are open minded about things its easier to see the big picture. yes its hurting the fisherman at this moment, but think about long term. you leave the weirs open or take them out, the marsh dies out and turns into open water. whats the reason the shrimping has been good in past years? what do shrimp feed on? dead vegetation? a dying marsh eqauls lots of shrimp food. a dead marsh equals open water, subsidence, erosion, and the end result would be no food for shrimp and prolly hardly any shrimp. not only for the shrimpers, for the fish to eat, and if there are no fish food then there are no fish. i know that is exaggerated but look at the long term affects on the system. the weirs are only trying to be a band aid for part of the system. to help protect what is left of the marshes. look at a natural delta and how it works. like the one that used to be at the mouth of the old calcasieu river..... with out the weirs and the way they were designed to be operated, the cameron creole watershe will turn into a lake with no vegetation to die off and feed the shrimp.

hopefully this wont cause any trouble i just want people to start thinking more open minded about things. i know its hard to. i also love to fish and spend almost every weekend on the water somewhere. would love to fish more but unfortunately i am not lucky enough to do so.

so remember this isnt meant to start any drama, just my opinion from an ecological view point.

also just some info, the weirs have fish slats for fish to move in and out.

Top Dawg 06-11-2012 03:25 PM

Bet it would be good cast netting right on the outside!!!

"W" 06-11-2012 03:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We went to the weirs today and the bait was stacked up on lake side and fish looked stacked up on marsh side...sea gulls busting on shrimp

Grand seemed more action wise on marsh side than lambert....Lambert looked dead

LouisianaSportsman 06-14-2012 02:06 PM

To "W". I'm afraid to say the marshes have been DYING off mainly because we have something called a ship channel that is an unnatural highway for saltwater. (Obviously) The native vegetation in the marshes can't survive with the salinity levels the ship channel brings. Therefore the marsh would die even further without these weirs. Massive habitat loss = no fish for anyone. The weirs correcting salinity levels is projected to have a net benefit of 2,602 acres in 20 years..... instead of the opposite effect plus some if they were never installed. Learn to fish the whole lake and not one spot. Also the Calcasieu estuary is a huge, productive ecosystem as a whole and not solely dependent on one marsh with a few weirs.

82whaler 06-14-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisianaSportsman (Post 447757)
. Learn to fish the whole lake and not one spot.

The most Intelligent post I have read on this thread! :welcome:

"W" 06-14-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisianaSportsman (Post 447757)
To "W". I'm afraid to say the marshes have been DYING off mainly because we have something called a ship channel that is an unnatural highway for saltwater. (Obviously) The native vegetation in the marshes can't survive with the salinity levels the ship channel brings. Therefore the marsh would die even further without these weirs. Massive habitat loss = no fish for anyone. The weirs correcting salinity levels is projected to have a net benefit of 2,602 acres in 20 years..... instead of the opposite effect plus some if they were never installed. Learn to fish the whole lake and not one spot. Also the Calcasieu estuary is a huge, productive ecosystem as a whole and not solely dependent on one marsh with a few weirs.

Uhhhh...your preaching to the wrong one..I don't fish the "weirs " ...but keeping them closed for a long period of time will cause problems