SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Eating on da cheap today (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64789)

Cappy 07-05-2016 12:49 PM

Eating on da cheap today

We alwaystry to pinch pennies since I aint making much anymore. This morning we had a bowl of fresh picked figs for breakfast. For lunch we split a link of boudin rouge a friend gave me. and thawing a pack of cat fish fillets we ahve in the fridge gonna bake them with a lil seasoning and lemon from da yard. Sweet taters from last years haul and green beans smothered down with some home made smoked sausage. Living like royalty for a few bucks at the most.

simplepeddler 07-06-2016 10:22 AM

saving money on food is the easiest thing in the world to do.

First, cook yourself
Second eat what you have, not what you want.........

I wished I did better at it........the price we pay for convenience when it comes to food is staggering

Bluechip 07-06-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplepeddler (Post 800200)
saving money on food is the easiest thing in the world to do.

First, cook yourself
Second eat what you have, not what you want.........

I wished I did better at it........the price we pay for convenience when it comes to food is staggering

I wished I did better at it also. That's something we could all improve on.

simplepeddler 07-06-2016 12:32 PM

I keep trying to get the younger couples on our compound to do leftover pot luck dinners once a week..........but hell..........all they have is cold pizza

jpeff31787 07-06-2016 02:55 PM

I suck at this too..... tired of eating trout, reds, sacs too. Last fish I ate was a 3tail with some bang bang sauce, now I can't wait to get another. Unfortunately they aren't easy to find.

simplepeddler 07-06-2016 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpeff31787 (Post 800235)
I suck at this too..... tired of eating trout, reds, sacs too. Last fish I ate was a 3tail with some bang bang sauce, now I can't wait to get another. Unfortunately they aren't easy to find.

rub it in rub it in!..........

duckman1911 07-06-2016 10:02 PM

Sounds great Cappy.
I try to preplab and make stuff stretch as much as I can. I try to cook for today, tomorrow and hopefully the next day. Last night I did boneless thighs on the grill with brocolli and twice baked potatoes from taters leftover from the weekeng bbq. Good price on thighs so I grilled a dozen. Had leftovers for lunch. TTonight I sliced the leftover grilled thighs and cooked in onion gravy and had over rice. Yummy btw. That will also be lunch tomorrow. Four meals for three people at a cost of $25 or so. Two dinners two lunches. We all three work together so if we buy lunch it's 15/20 for on meal and it's not that good usually

swamp snorkler 07-07-2016 06:37 AM

Monday I cooked a 3lb rice jambalaya and 4 pounds of white beans. Fed 26 people and had plenty leftover, my grocery bill that was $38 for that.

SigNate 07-07-2016 08:04 AM

What I like to do is use the Foodsaver when I can. Last night we had a gumbo that was as good as when I made it back at the beginning of December of 2015. It was what I called Turkey Butt gumbo. Smoked turkey and smoked pork butt.....