SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   CCA backs raise of license fee- Thoughts? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52458)

Lake Chuck Duck 04-08-2014 12:38 PM

CCA backs raise of license fee- Thoughts?

CCA is backing a bill to raise saltwater fishing licenses 136% from %5.50 to 13. What is yalls thoughts on this and do you see any benefit from the increased revenue or will it just be more money for the politician's pocket?

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.s...se_louisi.html

BassYakR 04-08-2014 12:39 PM

Gotta keep their pockets fat!

BuckingFastard 04-08-2014 12:40 PM

i think its crap... someone needs to find out how to make it stop!

swamp snorkler 04-08-2014 12:41 PM

Compared to neighboring states we have the lowest license fees........ With the increase we will still be the lowest. I see no problem with it as long as the money is spent where it needs to be spent and not taken from for non saltwater fishing initiatives.

specktator 04-08-2014 12:41 PM

Just get a lifetime license

BuckingFastard 04-08-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 678885)
Compared to neighboring states we have the lowest license fees........ With the increase we will still be the lowest. I see no problem with it as long as the money is spent where it needs to be spent and not taken from for non saltwater fishing initiatives.

youre right... but i just dont think itll go for the right reason at all.

bayouchub 04-08-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

X2

Lake Chuck Duck 04-08-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

It says in the article Mississippi is the cheapest.

spotchasin 04-08-2014 01:08 PM

I think it is reasonable IF there is a guarantee that the money will be used to better manage the saltwater fisheries. Wouldn't surprise me if the money just went into a general fund and would be used to pay for something else though.

Montauk17 04-08-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 678886)
Just get a lifetime license

Yep

BloodKnot 04-08-2014 01:21 PM

I don't mind a higher tax/fee if the funds are used appropriately. Therefore, I am totally against this increase...

Top Dawg 04-08-2014 01:24 PM

Just another reason to not give to cca

DWA 04-08-2014 01:27 PM

Gotta lifetime a long time ago and it has more than paid for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MathGeek 04-08-2014 01:27 PM

The illusion of dedicated funds in gov't ends up being a ruse almost every time.

The state can simply cut the funding for saltwater research from other sources, just as it cut education funding (or slowed growth) from other sources to effectively negate lottery revenues.

LA politicians have a long history of failing to respect the idea of dedicated funds in dedicated accounts, sometimes raiding the funds outright to finance other things or balance the budget or whatever.

LA has great fishing, certainly even well worth the cost of out of state licenses, in my opinion. I would not mind paying more personally, but most states are facing the long term issue of declining numbers of anglers. As hunter and angler numbers decline compared with the general population, greater encroachments on hunting and fishing rights are a predictable result.

The percentage of LA citizens who hunt and fish and vote are a more important long term asset to LDWF than license revenues.

Has the money ($26 million) from raiding the artificial reef fund been repaid yet? Increasing license fees with this nonsense still unfixed seems like a bad plan. Adding $3-4 million in additional revenues is not gonna help when the legislature seems willing to steal $26 million at any time.

BuckingFastard 04-08-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 678902)
The illusion of dedicated funds in gov't ends up being a ruse almost every time.

The state can simply cut the funding for saltwater research from other sources, just as it cut education funding (or slowed growth) from other sources to effectively negate lottery revenues.

LA politicians have a long history of failing to respect the idea of dedicated funds in dedicated accounts, sometimes raiding the funds outright to finance other things or balance the budget or whatever.

LA has great fishing, certainly even well worth the cost of out of state licenses, in my opinion. I would not mind paying more personally, but most states are facing the long term issue of declining numbers of anglers. As hunter and angler numbers decline compared with the general population, greater encroachments on hunting and fishing rights are a predictable result.

The percentage of LA citizens who hunt and fish and vote are a more important long term asset to LDWF than license revenues.

Has the money ($26 million) from raiding the artificial reef fund been repaid yet? Increasing license fees with this nonsense still unfixed seems like a bad plan. Adding $3-4 million in additional revenues is not gonna help when the legislature seems willing to steal $26 million at any time.

x2

Matt G 04-08-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 678902)

x100. I don't mind paying to play as long as the money is going for the intended purpose. That's just not the name of the game in Louisiana politics.

cgoods17 04-08-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 678906)
x100. I don't mind paying to play as long as the money is going for the intended purpose. That's just not the name of the game in Louisiana politics.

what is the intended purpose of increasing license fees?

Matt G 04-08-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgoods17 (Post 678907)
what is the intended purpose of increasing license fees?

"
Quote:

As the bill is currently written, the full amount of the increase would be deposited into a newly created Saltwater Fish Research and Conservation Fund.
"

cgoods17 04-08-2014 01:47 PM

Conservation fund? like trying to apply more strict regulations on snapper and tripletail?

swamp snorkler 04-08-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck (Post 678892)
It says in the article Mississippi is the cheapest.

Because they dont require you to purchase a Freshwater License