SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Recycling your oil. (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43176)

mriguy 04-20-2013 10:02 PM

Recycling your oil.

I cook fish pretty often but it is usually baked, broiled or grilled. The family really likes fried fish( I just finished frying some redfish) so I figured ill be frying more often. My question is what is your procedure for saving/filtering your $15 peanut oil? In the past I just wasted it

Goooh 04-20-2013 10:04 PM

I add 3 tubs of country crock, stir with wooden spoon until it's fluffy and consistent. Better than Jiff and Peter Pan combined.

mriguy 04-20-2013 10:08 PM

That's brilliant Goooh

FF_T_Warren 04-21-2013 12:31 AM

I tell you what works amazing for filtering used fish grease and that is the permanent coffee filters you can buy. The ones that are hard plastic with the really fine mesh. The work awesome. As long as the grease is not burned, it looks like its fresh out the jug. Not a speck of cornmeal or trash in it

Ray 04-21-2013 04:27 PM

I don't use peanut oil yet.
I use regular cheap oil.
I have a funnel with a screen in the bottom.
Just refill the same empty jugs and use the oil again.
I can get about 10 fish fry's before I chunk it out.
And I fry taters, fish, onions and shrimp in the same oil with no problem.

Gerald 04-22-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 572142)
I tell you what works amazing for filtering used fish grease and that is the permanent coffee filters you can buy. The ones that are hard plastic with the really fine mesh. The work awesome. As long as the grease is not burned, it looks like its fresh out the jug. Not a speck of cornmeal or trash in it

This is the key. If you don't every let the grease get tooooooo hot, like Ray said, you can keep on re-using it a bunch of times.

bjhooper82 04-22-2013 09:45 AM

So how may uses would y'all recommend before throwing it?

meathauler 04-22-2013 10:23 AM

Do you have to put in fridge after you recycle it?

swamp snorkler 04-22-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjhooper82 (Post 572425)
So how may uses would y'all recommend before throwing it?

Just to let you know, Popeyes changes their shortening once a week. They do however filter every night and add more as needed.

I use canola oil, it has a higher burn point that peanut and it's cheaper. I can get 5-6 fish fries out of. I use a mesh screen.

swamp snorkler 04-22-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meathauler (Post 572432)
Do you have to put in fridge after you recycle it?

No, just put it back in the jug it came in with the cap in a cool (68-76) dry place.

bjhooper82 04-22-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 572443)
Just to let you know, Popeyes changes their shortening once a week. They do however filter every night and add more as needed.

I use canola oil, it has a higher burn point that peanut and it's cheaper. I can get 5-6 fish fries out of. I use a mesh screen.

Man, I've been wasting oil big time. I always throw it away after 1 use!! Thanks