SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Live well help (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66843)

Rig Magician 04-23-2017 01:47 PM

Live well help

My last 2 trips out I have had a good bit of bait die on me. I have been putting my shrimp all in my from live well. I am sure that is my issue. It has happened in the past. I usually put the shrimp in the rear and croakers in the front. On the next trip I will put my bait in the Rear live well and move bait to the front when I get out to my first fishing spot as I need it. I am guessing it has to do with the amount of water.
I have a 24' BlueWave Purebay. Anyone else have any insight on this I would appreciate it. I was thinking of getting some rejuvenate also to try.
Mark

AubreyLaHaye458 04-23-2017 03:33 PM

I've never used the rejuvenate for baits. But have used it in the livewell for bass and it has brought fish back from what appears to be near death.

I'd look into some kind of bubbler. Academy sells the bubble buddies. I can keep 2 qts of shrimp alive for most of the day in a 5 gal bucket with bubble buddy. The key is to get them out of direct sunlight if possible. They also make air systems for livewells that are great if you fish enough to justify the cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rig Magician 04-24-2017 07:52 PM

I have the ProAir system in my boat. I went out today and had better luck putting all the bait in the rear live well and just transferring some to the front live well when I got out. We have very little loss today. The water was cool so we will see what happens when the water warms up. I did find Sure Life Shrimp Keeper that I may try.

C-Bass2mouth 04-25-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig Magician (Post 819183)
My last 2 trips out I have had a good bit of bait die on me. I have been putting my shrimp all in my from live well. I am sure that is my issue. It has happened in the past. I usually put the shrimp in the rear and croakers in the front. On the next trip I will put my bait in the Rear live well and move bait to the front when I get out to my first fishing spot as I need it. I am guessing it has to do with the amount of water.
I have a 24' BlueWave Purebay. Anyone else have any insight on this I would appreciate it. I was thinking of getting some rejuvenate also to try.
Mark

They make a rejuv formula for salt water bait (Pogey saver maybe?)
I've bought it at academy in the past. Works like a champ.

muton44 05-02-2017 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rig Magician (Post 819183)
My last 2 trips out I have had a good bit of bait die on me. I have been putting my shrimp all in my from live well. I am sure that is my issue. It has happened in the past.... I am guessing it has to do with the amount of water.

Don't feel bad Mark, many live bait fishermen have problems keeping live bait alive and healthy enough to fish with by 10 A - Noon. Live bait fishing guides always tell customers to hook-up the liveliest baits in the box first which is very wise.
The most common cause of livewell mortality and sloppy bait is overcrowding (too much bait in the box) as the environmental water in the livewell gets warmer and summer is coming. Live bait fishermen never have bait mortality problems is the cool months-Fall, winter and spring. When the livewell water temp reaches the mid to higher 70's F, start looking for livewell water quality problems. The warmer the livewell water gets, the more problems, the more sloppy and dying bait, and the cost of live bait fishing increases dramatically. The Dog Days of Summer yields the greatest live bait mortality in Louisiana (inshore, estuaries and offshore). That's predictable every year.

Consider reducing your stocking density and most importantly, make your livewell water quality "safe" and your bait problems will disappear immediately. Most fishermen I know just deal with the problems, buy more live bait and wait till Fall when the problem goes away... but, it will be back next year about this time for 3-4 months.

RyanSherman56 05-15-2017 02:33 PM

It also helps to freeze a bottle of water and place it in the live well. It will help keep the water cooler, without adding fresh water to the tank. Remove when running between spots so it doesn't bang around and kill bait.