SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   25 Suzuki 3 cyl expectations (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29347)

cashcropper 03-21-2012 08:13 PM

25 Suzuki 3 cyl expectations

What can be done to bump up the horsepower on this engine? How could I expect it to perform on a 16x48?

CajunChristian 03-21-2012 09:34 PM

Speed and dollars are directionally proportionate.
D

scott craft 03-22-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashcropper (Post 408665)
What can be done to bump up the horsepower on this engine? How could I expect it to perform on a 16x48?

2ndamendment has one on a 1648, bone stock. You could pm him and see how his runs.

2ndamendment 03-23-2012 12:46 PM

Have mine setup up on a 16X48 Alweld. The hull is rated for a 40 hp motor. When I originally purchased the rig, I knew starting out I would be under powered, so it was important to set the motor up to acheive it's maximum performance capable. It took me numerous hours of running the boat and making small motor position adjustments to dial it in. As Scott stated, my 25 is bone stock. As for as performance, I am realistic about the combination. Don't expect to be the first to a fishing spot. Does real well in inches of water. Can run around and fish all weekend on one 6 gallon tank of gas. I can tell you it would not matter how many bay boats I may have, that 16X48/25 combination will always be in my yard as an option.

T-Bone 03-23-2012 01:04 PM

[QUOTE I can tell you it would not matter how many bay boats I may have, that 16X48/25 combination will always be in my yard as an option.[/QUOTE]

Especially with the price of fuel constantly going up! What type of prop are you running? Pitch?

2ndamendment 03-23-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone (Post 409465)
[QUOTE I can tell you it would not matter how many bay boats I may have, that 16X48/25 combination will always be in my yard as an option.

Especially with the price of fuel constantly going up! What type of prop are you running? Pitch?[/QUOTE]

Stainless prop that dealer put on when I purchased the motor. Size 10 1/8 X 14 with slight progressive cup on each blade.

scott craft 03-23-2012 03:18 PM

I'm running a 14 pitch powertech reb3 on mine.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

jlsch1 04-19-2012 08:52 PM

I got a 16 x 52 inch bottom 100 guage aluminum 1995 Louisiana Traveler made by FFL out of Arkansas. They are next door to Seaark and owned by a family member of Seaark owners which is what I was told when I called the company to ask questions about it. FFL's owner told me he built the boat to max out at 40hp which should get you about 35 mph for insurance reasons, but Fred Parnell had someone tweak the transom and max horsepower out at 75hp and stick Louisiana Traveler on it. This guy also made them from day one, so the guys that say Louisiana Traveler's were built by monark, seaark whatever its really FFL which is next door. He told me the way the hull is designed going from a 40hp to a 70 hp your not gaining that much speed due to the design of the hull to make it worth putting 70 hp on that boat. Mine is rated for 75hp and I have a 70 hp evinrude which on a good day I get 37 to 38 mph if I am lucky. Straight away it is fine, but I wouldn't do that in a curve. Running 1992 stainless prop old quicksilver rehub with evinrude spline.

Keywest18 04-20-2012 06:41 AM

1648 Fisher 1986 25HP Johnson 10x13 prop I got 26mph still not setup properly

Shallow Runner 04-22-2012 10:50 PM

I have seen 3 cylinder suzuki's run close to 40 on the right hull with the right setup. Cajun Christian is right about speed and money. You have to decide how crazy you want to get with it. I have a mega on a 15/48 that runs 35 with two grown men a dog, waders, guns, and decoys. It also runs 35 with just me in it because my hull can't take the speed without proposing. One thing I can promise you is the more you hop it up the more life you take off you're motor. Also remember it's still a 25 and there is no replacement for displacement.

Eatin ain't cheatin

CajunChristian 04-23-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

my hull can't take the speed without proposing
That can be fixed!
Don't kill the messenger:work:
A 16' boat will be 3 mph slower than a 15' boat of the same width, thickness, and manufacture. Just a simple fact we have proven a few thousand times.

With the 25 Suzuki, you will usually gain more performance by proper set-up than grinder work.The 3 cylinder Suzuki does not lend itself to gigantic gains in performance without compromising reliability, the biggest stumbling block is the inability to remove the rev limiter. That is why the 3 cylinder yamaha 25 is the more preferable outboard to tinker with for huge gains in power.
D

Shallow Runner 04-23-2012 09:06 AM

No offense taken. I don't know everything about outboards, just enough to get by and hopefully help a fellow fisherman out. I know NOTHING about boats and getting the most out of them. I know this is my speed restriction because my motor is running 4800-5200 rpm to get 35 mph. I can't just go out and get a new hull though. Any suggestion is appreciated. Sorry bud not trying to hi-jack you're thread.

Eatin ain't cheatin

scott craft 04-23-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shallow Runner (Post 422624)
No offense taken. I don't know everything about outboards, just enough to get by and hopefully help a fellow fisherman out. I know NOTHING about boats and getting the most out of them. I know this is my speed restriction because my motor is running 4800-5200 rpm to get 35 mph. I can't just go out and get a new hull though. Any suggestion is appreciated. Sorry bud not trying to hi-jack you're thread.

Eatin ain't cheatin

By yourself you can only get 4800-5200 rpm before before it starts porpoising? Have you tried trim tabs or hooking your hull?

Shallow Runner 04-23-2012 09:52 PM

I have trim tabs and a whale tail. The whale tail helped tremendously. I never tried hooking the hull. Quick question for u guys. What hull have you seen be the fastest with a mega.

Eatin ain't cheatin

weedeater 04-23-2012 10:04 PM

We use to have a Mega on a River Rat fiberglass which is similar to Marshrunner and it ran 42mph

Shallow Runner 04-23-2012 10:17 PM

Wow and that was a stock mega?

Eatin ain't cheatin

weedeater 04-23-2012 10:22 PM

Yep, I don't know if he would remember but cajunchristian set it up for us. My dad bought one, if not the first, Mega sold at Lake Area Marine and had CC set it up since he was racing them.

scott craft 04-23-2012 10:44 PM

Probably the fastest boat you could buy for a mega right now would be a 1550 or 1556 edge.

Shallow Runner 04-23-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 423121)
Yep, I don't know if he would remember but cajunchristian set it up for us. My dad bought one, if not the first, Mega sold at Lake Area Marine and had CC set it up since he was racing them.

That's probably what i will try. I can't go buy a new hull right now. Spent my hull money on an exmark mower. Priorities,
banghead.

Eatin ain't cheatin

weedeater 04-24-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shallow Runner (Post 423140)
That's probably what i will try. I can't go buy a new hull right now. Spent my hull money on an exmark mower. Priorities,
banghead.

Eatin ain't cheatin

Put that mower to work and let it buy you a new boat.;)