SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   DIY Forum (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   My wife's old car (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51248)

I make oil 06-20-2014 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The rear suspension is a 4 link using shockwaves. Corey had a bit of a tough time getting the system to fit. The system I bought is designed as a bolt on to fit on the outside of the frame rails. Due to the width of the rear tires it was rubbing against the tires. Corey reversed the mounting brackets and installed them on the inside of the frame rails. He had to notch the floor a bit but it fits. Everything will be welded in for a stronger installation.

I make oil 06-20-2014 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A '66 Mustang is a Unibody car. This means it does not have a full frame under the car they actually use the body as a support structure only using frame rails as needed front and rear for attaching the suspension and mounting the engine. This saves money in building the car and makes them lighter requiring less power to move them. This is all well and good for a regular car but due to the power this car will be making and the additional stresses of the Air suspension we installed Sub Frame connectors. This in effect creates a full frame under the car by connecting the front and rear sub frames increasing the strength substantially.

I make oil 06-20-2014 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The car was originally a 6 cylinder car. The rear differential that was on the car would not be able to handle the additional power we where adding so I decided to add a 8.8 Rear out of a Ford Explorer. Corey had located one at the very beginning of the project and the original plan was to use the motor, fuel injection, electronics and rear differintial. Since we decided to change directions on the motor everything else was sold off except the rear diff. To use it on the Mustang all of the mounting brackets and other stuff had to be removed. Due to the wide tires and the differnce in the width of the car from an Explorer the diff would have to be narrowed. The cool thing about a Explorer differential is that it the gear housing is not centered. It is 3'' offset. It just so happens that we needed to be narrowed 3''. This allows to remove the tube from the long side cut off 3'' and use a short axel on the narrowed side. Corey pulled the axel apart and removed the long tube. No small feat. The tube has now been shortened and will be installed and welded back up. Lets just say Corey is using some creative means to do this. :D Whatever works.

Once it's all back together and the 4 link brackets are installed the rear diff will go off for powder coating.

eman 06-20-2014 05:50 PM

need to add dual turbo chargers and some Nos

I make oil 06-20-2014 09:02 PM

I might add power adders later. The problem is the drive train handling it. The motor going in is 450 HP. The transmission is rated for 600 HP. I might add a 100 HP shot of NOS for that extra little boost. ;-)

I'm trying to keep the car driveable and reliable. I don't want something breaking every time my wife gets on the throttle hard. :D

eman 06-21-2014 12:37 PM

2015 chargers will be 600hp from the factory. Can't wait to see how it can be boosted.

I make oil 06-22-2014 03:17 AM

It's just CRAZY what the new cars are putting out. I had a '78 Trans Am that made less than 300 HP and thought it was a beast back in the day. My truck I drive every day has more than 300 HP now. To be honest it doesn't feel anything like my TA did. It's all about how it's put down. I also had a 2007 Z06 Vette at around 700 hp and it was just stoopid. I couldn't keep tires on that car.

The power to weight ratio on this Mustang will be pretty nuts. I honestly think it will be just about perfect. I expect there won't be much around that will run with it. All that, classic looks and a Daily driver too? Makes me smile. :-)

elebouef 06-22-2014 11:43 AM

sparks and metal

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 666538)

if that was my vehicle on the left, I would be asking questions about the sparks and hot metal flying on it, but it isn't mine so it must be alright.

southern151 06-23-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elebouef (Post 701192)
if that was my vehicle on the left, I would be asking questions about the sparks and hot metal flying on it, but it isn't mine so it must be alright.

I appreciate your concern but, no sparks or hot metal was ever in contact with the vehicle. It was all in the camera angle that made it appear to be so. If I have concerns of such things, any vehicle near it is covered with fire blanket.

southern151 08-12-2014 07:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
It's been a while since I could update so, here are a few photos of the rear end coming together on the Stang. This thing was a bit tricky due to other mods that had been done to the chassis and, the ridiculous width of the tires!

Attachment 73058

Attachment 73059

Attachment 73060

Attachment 73061

Attachment 73062

I make oil 08-12-2014 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Corey is doing a bang up job. The farther along it goes the happier I am I chose Corey to do this build. I could have just done things easy but where is the fun in that? This car will definitely be unique. If anyone is thinking about a project like this don't expect it to happen quickly. It will take twice as long as you think and cost twice as much money. Make sure you have a plan when you go into it and try to stick to the plan as much as possible. I've changed up a few things as we've gone along and they certainly add to the cost and time frame of the job.

southern151 10-21-2014 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just got the motor back and, we are ready to assemble now! New transmission is here as well as all mounts and, crossmembers. We will be mocking the install early next week to make sure we have ample clearance for the motor and tran. From there, it's on to finishing body work!

Attachment 76207

Attachment 76208

latravcha 10-21-2014 03:53 PM

I can't wait to see this thing finished.

eman 10-21-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latravcha (Post 725813)
I can't wait to see this thing finished.

I bet Corey can't wait either $$$$$$ :grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:

Goooh 10-21-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 725790)
Just got the motor back and, we are ready to assemble now! New transmission is here as well as all mounts and, crossmembers. We will be mocking the install early next week to make sure we have ample clearance for the motor and tran. From there, it's on to finishing body work!

Attachment 76207

Attachment 76208

Please tell me those heads were wrapped for the transport!

I make oil 10-22-2014 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't wait either......

I need this one finished so I can start on this one.

Lil Silver 10-22-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 725829)
Please tell me those heads were wrapped for the transport!

That's what I'm screamin! O lawd.

I make oil 10-22-2014 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes they where. Corey just unwrapped them at the engine builders for a photo OP.

Fuel cell just came in.

alphaman 10-22-2014 03:22 PM

Where are you getting all your parts from? Ill be starting my restoration nx year

I make oil 10-22-2014 04:25 PM

Different places. CJ pony parts, modern driveline, Mustangs to fear, Stangaholics, Jegs, Summit and EBay mainly. Depends on what parts you need. I will have lots of factory stuff left over if you need it. I gave most of the pull offs to Corey but I'm sure he will work something out with you if there is something you can use.