SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Kayak and Canoe Forum (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Thinking about getting a kayak for inshore/marsh fishing (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64324)

Swampcritterr 05-25-2016 05:23 PM

Thinking about getting a kayak for inshore/marsh fishing

I have a boat that I use for fresh water but I don't want to keep putting it and the trailer in salt. I've never fished salt out of a kayak. Any suggestions or opinions ?

I'm in the lake Charles area.

Brands ? I'm 6' 250lbs so I was looking at the Jackson big rig for stability and vertical distance from gators lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boarider 05-25-2016 06:19 PM

Don't know your budget, but the Hobie Outback is what I use and we are close in size. Once you try the peddle drive there is no going back to paddling.
Also the Outback is smaller that the pro angler and easy for one person to combat launch from the side of any road.
Stability is great, I stand to sight fish with no problem.
Best bet is a demo day, and try a few out before dropping the coins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

irokcj5 05-25-2016 09:39 PM

Second the outback if you can afford. Big Rig is a barge to paddle. I have a Big Tuna, and like it. I'm a chubby short guy 5' 9, 235lbs and am able to stand and fish. I have it because its a tandem/single capable. If I didn't have a need for a tandem, and only could afford a paddle kayak, I'd get a Jackson Cuda. Just stay away from cheapy brands.

Swampcritterr 05-25-2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boarider (Post 796183)
Don't know your budget, but the Hobie Outback is what I use and we are close in size. Once you try the peddle drive there is no going back to paddling.
Also the Outback is smaller that the pro angler and easy for one person to combat launch from the side of any road.
Stability is great, I stand to sight fish with no problem.
Best bet is a demo day, and try a few out before dropping the coins.

Thanks for the input !

Swampcritterr 05-25-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irokcj5 (Post 796202)
Second the outback if you can afford. Big Rig is a barge to paddle. I have a Big Tuna, and like it. I'm a chubby short guy 5' 9, 235lbs and am able to stand and fish. I have it because its a tandem/single capable. If I didn't have a need for a tandem, and only could afford a paddle kayak, I'd get a Jackson Cuda. Just stay away from cheapy brands.

Thank You for the suggestion !

MathGeek 05-27-2016 03:53 PM

We have an ascend 12+ footer that leaks in rougher water.

The paddle approach is lacking greatly for covering distance or making headway in wind or current.

If I ever buy another, it will be the peddle kind.

capt carlos 05-27-2016 04:51 PM

Native Slayers

Boarider 05-27-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt carlos (Post 796417)
Native Slayers

I really liked the Slayer with reverse and the deck layout, but you can't get in the skinny water like the Hobie. You can use the short flute strokes up close to the hull.
Best bet is a demo day, be it pack and paddle or backpacker.
Get it right the first time without the hassle of upgrading later.

capt carlos 05-27-2016 06:59 PM

I have the Slayer 12 (no propeller) and is a good boat, best bet is to try different ones and get what fits you the best. Good luck!!!!

irokcj5 05-28-2016 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 796414)
We have an ascend 12+ footer that leaks in rougher water.

The paddle approach is lacking greatly for covering distance or making headway in wind or current.

If I ever buy another, it will be the peddle kind.

For distance and fatigue, I don't really see a difference btw paddle/peddle. I paddled my son's kayak at Indian Creek last july and took off for a 4 mile tour. Next day I took the hobie (my first time in a peddle), and did the same track. I expected to be able to do it quicker and with less fatigue....neither was the case. Both peddle and paddle comfortable speeds are about 3mph. When I got out of the outback, I didn't realize how tired my legs were until I got out and almost fell with noodle legs. After paddling the big tuna, I did not feel very fatigued. I still want a peddle though, because I do like to be hands free.

Just wanted to share my experience with the two types.

fonikoddity 05-28-2016 10:52 AM

Just got an Outback and the only thing I miss about my paddle kayak (which I do still have) is getting in really skinny water. Peddling vs. paddling is night/day difference to me. At the end of a long day, my legs don't feel fatigued at all. My shoulder has pretty much rendered itself useless for paddling. If you look around, you can get a pretty good deal on a used Hobie.

MathGeek 05-28-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irokcj5 (Post 796455)
For distance and fatigue, I don't really see a difference btw paddle/peddle. I paddled my son's kayak at Indian Creek last july and took off for a 4 mile tour. Next day I took the hobie (my first time in a peddle), and did the same track. I expected to be able to do it quicker and with less fatigue....neither was the case. Both peddle and paddle comfortable speeds are about 3mph. When I got out of the outback, I didn't realize how tired my legs were until I got out and almost fell with noodle legs. After paddling the big tuna, I did not feel very fatigued. I still want a peddle though, because I do like to be hands free.

Just wanted to share my experience with the two types.

I'm a mountain biker, so peddling is always easier, and my upper body strength and endurance has never been close to my legs.

fullrutt 05-28-2016 08:41 PM

Get you a paddle board. So much more fun fishing with SUP then a kayak.

Swampcritterr 08-01-2019 02:03 PM

I ended up finding a used 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12. It had a small crack that I repaired (after I took on a few gallons of water). I've taken it out to Choupique Bayou Once so far.

I really like it, very stable. And I pedaled around 5 miles (round trip) with no fatigue or soreness. Ready to find some flounder now !