SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Calcutta reels (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27922)

ChuckF 02-09-2012 08:59 AM

Calcutta reels

I noticed in another thread that people are putting special bearings in reels to increase casting distance, and overall reliability. Are there any special bearings I can put in my calcutta reels that will increase casting distance? How about any special cleaning solutions, oils, or other lubes?

bambam075 02-09-2012 09:22 AM

chuck,
one of the reason people buy a calcutta is for the casting abilities. i think with a little maintenance it should cast like a dream. make sure you have the proper size line and the proper amount of line and it should work just fine.there are all kinds of different lubes you can buy for it. just depends on your preference.

Jedi Lure Tricks 02-09-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckF (Post 389956)
I noticed in another thread that people are putting special bearings in reels to increase casting distance, and overall reliability. Are there any special bearings I can put in my calcutta reels that will increase casting distance? How about any special cleaning solutions, oils, or other lubes?

you can replace them with high-count ABEC bearings or ceramics for increased performance.

you can also take out the stock spool bearings and soak them in lighter fluid, blow them dry then apply a high quality light oil like hot sauce or rocket fuel for noticable improvement in stock bearings. ;)

ChuckF 02-09-2012 09:28 AM

Thanks bambam. I have 4 calcuttas and have used them for years. Just wondering if I can get them to perform better. the reels I have are getting some age on them and I was considering changing the bearings on them. I saw someone posted about using different type bearings (ceramic I think) and was wondering if I should look into it. not sure if they make them for calcuttas...

bambam075 02-09-2012 09:32 AM

no problem just putting my two cents in. i would hope if i paid 200 plus bucks for a reel it should be every thing i would have ever wanted in a reel. but like i have said my ambassadors out perform my shimano hands down. its all in preferance.

ChuckF 02-09-2012 10:04 AM

@ Bambam, I did not pay $200 for the reels. I bought them used off of ebay about 8 years ago for around $85 a peice...so far all I have done is cleaned and lubed them. Just dont know the life span of the bearings and wondering if other bearings would increase performance such as the ones Jedi wrote about above.

@ Jedi, thanks, that is what I was wondering about.

soapman 02-09-2012 11:07 AM

Jedi will hook you up with what you need

ChuckF 02-09-2012 11:28 AM

Jedi

I tried sending a PM to you twice. Did you get em? they do not appear in my sent messages...

ChuckF 02-09-2012 12:05 PM

Anyone have fedback on upgrading the bearings? I have had mixed reviews...do the high count ABEC or ceramic bearings make a noticeable difference?

I spoke to guys at Superior tackle in B.R. and he said it would not make a noticeable difference if my current bearings are good and clean.

Salty 02-09-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckF (Post 390032)
Anyone have fedback on upgrading the bearings? I have had mixed reviews...do the high count ABEC or ceramic bearings make a noticeable difference?

I spoke to guys at Superior tackle in B.R. and he said it would not make a noticeable difference if my current bearings are good and clean.

That's crap!

wtretrievers 02-09-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 390036)
That's crap!

Those guys at Superior don't know their azz from a hole in the ground & don't want to deal with anyone unless they got big money.

Salty 02-09-2012 12:27 PM

Ceramic bearings will make factory bearings feel like they're full of sand. That guy in BR just don't know what he's talkin' about...like Jeff said.

ChuckF 02-09-2012 12:36 PM

Ok, so could anyone recommend someone in the BR/Gonzales area that i could bring my reels to have the bearings upgraded?

Salty 02-09-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckF (Post 390046)
Ok, so could anyone recommend someone in the BR/Gonzales area that i could bring my reels to have the bearings upgraded?

I use Synergy Reel Tuning in Bryan, TX. Dude does good work.

ChuckF 02-09-2012 12:51 PM

thanks Salty...but that is a long way from home...

Anyone recommended in the Baton Rouge area?

wtretrievers 02-09-2012 12:58 PM

Favro's On Weller ave
Weller runs from Plank to Scenic right by Exxon Refinery
Favro's has been there for over 50 years!

specknation 02-09-2012 01:23 PM

Wow have done business with Superior many times nothing but good things to say about them.

bayouchub 02-09-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtretrievers (Post 390038)
Those guys at Superior don't know their azz from a hole in the ground & don't want to deal with anyone unless they got big money.

I have had nothing but excellent service from superior, mark and his crew go above and beyond. Best tackle shop in the br area. No contest.

Salty 02-09-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayouchub (Post 390088)
I have had nothing but excellent service from superior, mark and his crew go above and beyond. Best tackle shop in the br area. No contest.

That's because you "got big money". :smokin: :cool:

bayouchub 02-09-2012 02:31 PM

I wish