SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Any predator hunter on here ? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42759)

jkcckc2002 04-05-2013 08:41 PM

Any predator hunter on here ?

1 Attachment(s)
Looking to see if any one else goes out for coyotes or bobcats. I've been doing it for a few years and it is a blast. This is the best time of the year in my opinion because the respond real well. Attachment 48824

mriguy 04-05-2013 08:48 PM

I hope you kill ALL dem bastids!!!!!!!

southern151 04-05-2013 08:49 PM

Never got into it but, never knew anyone that was. Looks like a lot of fun. Got several rifles perfect for the challenge.

MathGeek 04-05-2013 08:59 PM

Killed a few coyotes and foxes back in my Ohio days. It was fun, but also necessary since I was raising sheep and poultry. The challenge is getting the animal to present in the open and pause long enough for a clear shot. With all the vegetation in Louisiana, I imagine it would be quite a bit harder. We used elevated platforms that were really permanent deer stands to get away with a bit more movement getting into position for a shot because coyotes are not used to looking up for a threat. We also kept shooting lanes clear of vegetation to have clear shots at deer during deer season, and these worked well when predator hunting also.

wtretrievers 04-05-2013 09:03 PM

Saw 5 bobcats this year, never once thought about shooting one, but a coyote will get his azz busted in a heartbeat! Killed 2 yotes this year.

T-TOP 04-05-2013 09:26 PM

Ran over 5 coyotes with my truck one morning on the way to the duck blind. It was pretty fun!!

jkcckc2002 04-05-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-TOP (Post 567819)
Ran over 5 coyotes with my truck one morning on the way to the duck blind. It was pretty fun!!

That's a lot I speed bumps. I killed a double at about 5 yards last year with my shotgun. It is always fun. Haven't hunted this spring late winter because the wife was pregnant and now I am on daddy duty. I'll get out there in a bout a month or so.

jdm4x43732 04-05-2013 10:16 PM

Last fall I bought a mojo critter and a electronic predator call but haven't gotten to use them yet. I put that mojo critter in the yard and turn on the call with a baby rabbit in distress, the cats go nuts on that thing.

jkcckc2002 04-06-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdm4x43732 (Post 567855)
Last fall I bought a mojo critter and a electronic predator call but haven't gotten to use them yet. I put that mojo critter in the yard and turn on the call with a baby rabbit in distress, the cats go nuts on that thing.

Lol. Sounds like me. I have two cats that live in my barn. I put the call on bobcat in heat and watch them go crazy.

Dink 04-06-2013 10:52 AM

We've been after some yotes for awhile now.....downloaded calls on the phone and play them through the stereo system at the house. They sure don't give you much of a shot......will try a decoy of sone sort soon

jkcckc2002 04-09-2013 12:54 PM

I suggest getting a foxpro and one of the decoys that attatch to them. I have a spitfire and fox jack 2.
If you want to go cheap. Use a turkey feather a swivel leader and an alligator clip. Clip it to a tree branch and it will dangle in the breeze. I have used it many times. Works great , they focus 100% on that.

speck-chaser 04-09-2013 10:27 PM

I heard hungry kittens in a box will get them to come out every time.

inchspinner 04-10-2013 06:37 AM

We went Mon. night with calls, cell phone calls, decoys,.......called but couldnt get them close enough, they yelped back but no shot, sat up in a 15' box blind, Was ready to shoot the new rem 308 bull barrel w/surpressor....

Crawl79 04-10-2013 09:45 AM

I got a foxpro but haven't had a chance to go lately with turkey hunting and fishing starting up.
I kill quiet a few deer hunting. Just trying to thin them out around the house and have some fun.

Ray 04-10-2013 10:15 PM

I hunted them in Cameron before Rita hit.
Just find some cattle in the winter with calves on them.
They lick the yellow milky poop from the calves.
They will sit at fence lines right before dark and wait to come into the pastures till after dark.
Just find a tree or old wind mill to sit up in and they will be there.

No more trees or wind mills left down there. Hard to hide in wide open pasture.