SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mud motor advice (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60086)

Bfonteno 06-01-2015 10:10 PM

Mud motor advice

I've been trying to decide on which to buy...Pro Drive or Gator tail. Any advice

FF_T_Warren 06-01-2015 10:29 PM

Gator tail. Instant reverse is golden. Much more useful than fpr. Fpr is great but rarely a necessity when instant is used ALL the time. I have a few friends that had pd and they ended up selling them and going to gt.

Now let all the rebutles begin. But that's my .02

Bfonteno 06-01-2015 10:33 PM

Thanks for the quick response

Bluechip 06-01-2015 10:51 PM

Have you looked at the BOSS motors..... I have been hearing good reports lately.

Gear driven versus belt drive.

Quackhead62 06-02-2015 05:46 AM

I'd go wit Pro-Drive their new gen three lower unit with the 37 EFI and new shovel prop are a beast. Will plow through some bad mud or lilies. Imo you can't get any better than the FPR of them either you can back up out or off of anything. But what you should really do is find a few guys with each motor and go test drive each and see how you feel about each one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn Braquet 06-02-2015 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 757127)
Have you looked at the BOSS motors..... I have been hearing good reports lately.

Gear driven versus belt drive.

I was wondering about the Boss motors. I pass by there daily but haven't heard anything positive on them yet. I saw Doug at our plant yesterday and meant to talk to him about them but didn't get the chance. He was representing Howell Ind. at the time and wasn't sure he'd want to discuss them much. I would have thought for sure by now that some people would have some unbiased reviews on them but haven't heard anything.

FF_T_Warren 06-02-2015 06:43 AM

The only review I heard about them was terrible. Essentially still a mudbuddy and we all know their track record

T-Bone 06-02-2015 07:56 AM

It would be awesome if PD came out with an instant reverse and still had the ability to have the full power reverse. Best of all worlds.

Bluechip 06-02-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet (Post 757136)
I was wondering about the Boss motors. I pass by there daily but haven't heard anything positive on them yet. I saw Doug at our plant yesterday and meant to talk to him about them but didn't get the chance. He was representing Howell Ind. at the time and wasn't sure he'd want to discuss them much. I would have thought for sure by now that some people would have some unbiased reviews on them but haven't heard anything.

I know 2 guys that are running them with no complaints so far. I have my eye on them. May pull the trigger in another year or so and get rid of the long tail.

Shawn Braquet 06-02-2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 757186)
I know 2 guys that are running them with no complaints so far. I have my eye on them. May pull the trigger in another year or so and get rid of the long tail.

Any pros or cons on them vs the GTR and PD?

BGcoreg 06-02-2015 05:31 PM

Do not rule out Go devil, unless you think you NEED reverse or trim. But if you have never had reverse or power trim then you wouldn't know the difference. Like me haha. .. I have a gdsd, would gladly take you for a ride.

Natural Light Kid 06-02-2015 05:55 PM

I have a prodrive and am happy with it. However, I think the prodrive vs gator tail discussion is like ford vs Chevy. The full power reverse is very nice but it would be nice to have instant sometimes. I have the manual reverse tiller handle with a reverse pin puller. I can get it in reverse pretty quick but it's not instant. Unfortunately we can't have it all. I've never owned a gator tail but have a friend that does. I think they're both good motors just a matter of preference on the reverse.

jopete 06-03-2015 03:15 AM

demo rides are free from all the mudmotor dealers/manufactures.

don't take anybodys advice, or u might make a 10 or 20k mistake.

i don't want anything but a prodrive, for what i do it suits me best. what works for me might not work for you, that's why you should look hard at all of them and figure out what works best for you!!

mudbuddy is supposed to be comming out with reverse like gator-tails soon. might be a factor if you have a dealer close.

and just so you know, they all break sooner or later. the more you hop them up the more time you spend wrenching on them.
if you want to go fast buy a outboard. if you want to run grass/lillies/mud, and don't mind going slow, get a mudmotor.

lol, just pointing out a few things for you!!

good luck whatever u choose.

Bfonteno 06-04-2015 04:43 PM

Thanks guys

duckco 06-09-2015 10:00 PM

I have a boss 37 efi. Love it. Way better then my gt. More tourqe. It's sits on a custom made 18x48. I'm getting 28 mph. Loaded with fishing gear. And me. It's not a mudbuddy. Make look it from the outside but it's what's on the inside that counts. They've changed everything on the inside. Customer service is awesome. Reverse definitely out reverses the gt. By a long shot. I still have my gt but ever since I got that boss it just sits.

duckco 06-09-2015 10:03 PM

And like jopete said. Don't matter the manufacturer. They all gonna break.

Shawn Braquet 06-10-2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckco (Post 758452)
And like jopete said. Don't matter the manufacturer. They all gonna break.

If it moves it'll break, that's a fact jack.

BGcoreg 06-11-2015 03:21 PM

Mud motor advice

Figured I'd mention this here since some of ya probably own mud motors. We're having a fun run here on the Calcasieu River in moss bluff/ lake Charles.
Mainly trying to focus on a ride all the family can enjoy.
http://jayandamyhernandez.wix.com/fun-run

https://www.facebook.com/pages/1st-A...62896150606533

Let me know if ya have any questions, will have a route planned soon or if you'd like to help with planning the route let me know!