SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conservationist's Corner (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Weirs........ (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7993)

"W" 02-23-2010 07:29 PM

Weirs........

About two years ago I was sitting on my tailgate drinking a few beers talking with a guide about redfish at the weirs! We were discussing the number of reds taken each day.......

In our discussion we talked about how the weirs are not good for our lake but yet trap our fish!!!

We both agreed that the weirs should be off limits to fishing for 1000 feet both ways! This give our fish a chance to leave with out having 50 jig heads thrown at them!

What do you guys think about making the weirs off limits for fishing? Making a 1000 feet rule

Salty 02-23-2010 07:31 PM

Sounds like a great idea...just get a bigger spool.

Jordan 02-23-2010 07:35 PM

I agree with salty. W. That's ur hot spot man!

Mediumheavyaction6'6 02-23-2010 07:36 PM

that sounds like a great idea.....but you will never get most of the people who fish that area to agree with you. there is not an ounce of conservation in most people in this state. people still believe they can pay for their boats if they bring enough fish home. conservation won't occur here until it is called replenishing the stock.

Salty 02-23-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediumheavyaction6'6 (Post 118019)
that sounds like a great idea.....but you will never get most of the people who fish that area to agree with you. there is not an ounce of conservation in most people in this state. people still believe they can pay for their boats if they bring enough fish home. conservation won't occur here until it is called replenishing the stock.

Truer words were never spoken. It's sad...but, it's true.

huntin fool 02-23-2010 07:43 PM

Why not leave them as is???

Not everybody can get out and fish every weekend like some. Not everybody knows every reef out there like some. And not everybody cares what size of fish, they go for meat. And the weirs are a place,for people to catch MEAT. Don't fix something that don't need fixing.
You got to take a step back and think about other people, than the big name fishermen.
And don't say well you need to for conservation. You,your self waltrip even said you can't outfish big lake with a rod-n-reel.

Yall sound like women, always complaining about something

Bluechip 02-23-2010 07:43 PM

I would say to allow "Youth Fishing" with in so many feet of the weirs...kinda like the youth hunting days.

It's always exciting to watch a young one fighting a redfish on a zebco.

Salty 02-23-2010 07:46 PM

I propose filling in the entire lake.

"W" 02-23-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 118025)

Not everybody can get out and fish every weekend like some. Not everybody knows every reef out there like some. And not everybody cares what size of fish, they go for meat. And the weirs are a place,for people to catch MEAT. Don't fix something that don't need fixing.
You got to take a step back and think about other people, than the big name fishermen.
And don't say well you need to for conservation. You,your self waltrip even said you can't outfish big lake with a rod-n-reel.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Does your mom need to change your diaper????

huntin fool 02-23-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 118029)

No it just gets old. uhh why did we create this site? To get away from Whinners, and guess what? thats all i see here.

Salty 02-23-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 118029)

He's old enough to change his own.

Mediumheavyaction6'6 02-23-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 118025)

fool, you of all people should be out there advocating for conservation. your children will be less fortunate than you are. i am not a real big environmentalist but i see that if resources that are constantly taken by people who are unchecked are going to run out sooner than later. the way i see it, the best hunting clubs in this state and country are successful because of culling practices as well as conservation efforts. if we want the biggest and healthiest fish possible we should control the MEAT fishermen as you call them. just my .02

Salty 02-23-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadly D (Post 118032)
WE what did you build here:confused:

I'm wonderin' the same thing. :eek:

adamsfence 02-23-2010 07:54 PM

Im with fool I kinda disagree with guides filling there boat everyday but a lot of people don't have time to go all the time like me I go maybe 1 time a month and don't know all the spots like most of y'all

Salty 02-23-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamsfence (Post 118035)
Im with fool I kinda disagree with guides filling there boat everyday but a lot of people don't have time to go all the time like me I go maybe 1 time a month and don't know all the spots like most of y'all

If those weirs are ever seriously discussed for closing....I doubt this reason will weigh in at all to keep them open.

huntin fool 02-23-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadly D (Post 118032)
WE what did you build here:confused:

Sorry typo...Dang D aint gotta jump me :shaking:

adamsfence 02-23-2010 08:01 PM

oh I know but it is still nice too have them as a backup after I am fixing to scratch

huntin fool 02-23-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediumheavyaction6'6 (Post 118033)
fool, you of all people should be out there advocating for conservation. your children will be less fortunate than you are. i am not a real big environmentalist but i see that if resources that are constantly taken by people who are unchecked are going to run out sooner than later. the way i see it, the best hunting clubs in this state and country are successful because of culling practices as well as conservation efforts. if we want the biggest and healthiest fish possible we should control the MEAT fishermen as you call them. just my .02

I'm thinking for my generation bud, look at your fishing rulebook/phamplet. Now, you see all these rules and regs, yall keep wanting to add more rules, pretty soon, my "generation" isn't even going to be able to keep a darn fish!

Like i said,"don't fix it if it aint broken"

Mediumheavyaction6'6 02-23-2010 08:06 PM

sorry to bother you little buddy

Mediumheavyaction6'6 02-23-2010 08:11 PM

well, it is not very often that i agree with the starter of this thread but....i have to admit I am one of those people who fish for the sport not the meat so i would like to see lower limits and regulations that don't allow people to wheel up to a spot and load the boat. i don't see the sport in that. i know i am in the minority on this one so let the bashing begin!