SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conservationist's Corner (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Is it Conservation or Greed? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9106)

"W" 03-31-2010 08:44 PM

Is it Conservation or Greed?

I have been biting the tongue on this issue for a long time, but I have to let it out to feel better. I know this will not set well on some but I’m just speaking what I think is the truth in my eyes.

I’m really tired of money and politics playing a role in our fishing. I’m sick of hearing on the street that Big Lake needs to do this and needs to do that ,but yet don’t see a sole out doing a damn thing!

We have guys who catch big trout wading and take pictures and walk tall and proud that they released a 9lb trout. They drive up to Baton Rouge to meet the Governor to fight and push limits on our lakes. They act like they are conservationist but are they???

I’m out on that lake spending my money and my gas to learn about trout on my own. I tag trout and reds all year long to help all of us learn. I bet if records were pulled up the guys who are running to Baton Rouge to push limit on something have not stuck a damn tag in it! There are guys who wade and take picks of trout to release. Fine no problem with that but don’t call yourself a conservationist! Tags are free so tag those big trout and let’s see some research. Let’s see who is going to catch them again. Let’s get some feedback. I don’t want to hear it’s hard to tag when wading.......If you can take a PIc of a trout in the water you can stick a tag in it..(Bottom line) I think it comes to Greed that one would not tag a fish when given the change but yet push for a limit on a fish he is not helping research. I may be wrong and just think different don’t know.

But pull my tagging records and numbers let’s compare them to the so called fishing politics....

IF this makes you feel guilty you probably are!;)

Sorry but I needed that off my chest.......Have a Great Day:D

huntin fool 03-31-2010 08:55 PM

Me and J.W (fishmaster911) talked about this.
I'd rather tag and release than i would keep, honestly. Every now and then i like to keep. But i much rather tag and release. Granite I don't get to tag and release every trout i catch because of the few i fish that actually tag, but yeah.
J.W is the same way.
BUt we did talk about this.

Ray 03-31-2010 08:57 PM

I don't tag. And I don't like to take pics, but I don't like hearing crybabies say,
"no pic, it didn't happen", so I take a pic here and there.
I finally got a phone with a camera on it cause of SC.

fishmaster911 03-31-2010 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 134767)
Me and J.W (fishmaster911) talked about this.
I'd rather tag and release than i would keep, honestly. Every now and then i like to keep. But i much rather tag and release. Granite I don't get to tag and release every trout i catch because of the few i fish that actually tag, but yeah.
J.W is the same way.
BUt we did talk about this.

well said fool ! tagging is one of the ways i will learn more about trout and reds ! i dont have to come home with a limit of fish every time i go fishing to be happy ! i just love to fish and learn more and more every time i go ! i also take home fish to eat but i dont have a freezer full !

"W" 03-31-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 134768)
I don't tag. And I don't like to take pics, but I don't like hearing crybabies say,
"no pic, it didn't happen", so I take a pic here and there.
I finally got a phone with a camera on it cause of SC.

Ray your not running to BR to push a limit. Your out fishing to catch and eat fish. Thats fine and Im for you a 100%

jchief 03-31-2010 09:20 PM

Tagging

Jeremy, I contacte WLF about 6 years ago when I was really marsh fishing and catcing tons of reds and wanted to get involved in the tagging program. After not receiving anything for 3 weeks, I called again and was told it would be coming and still have not recieved anything.

"W" 03-31-2010 09:55 PM

Maumus Claverie, Jr.
3rd Floor , Union Street
New Orleans, LA 70118
Phone: 800-567-2182
E-mail: maumusjr@aol.com

He will hook you up if you want tags
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing...ontact_us.html

B-Stealth 04-01-2010 02:43 AM

I will predict the future, Chas will jump all over this post around 8-8:30 am.

W the person who caught and released a 9lber is not a conservationist, but you are because you tag fish? :spineyes:

I think its great you tag fish, but that alone doesnt make you a conservationist. IMO

You are also assuming that the 9lb angler has never tagged.

Must have been a good board meeting:D

FF_T_Warren 04-01-2010 06:53 AM

yea

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 134877)

W the person who caught and released a 9lber is not a conservationist, but you are because you tag fish? :spineyes:

I think its great you tag fish, but that alone doesnt make you a conservationist. IMO

Kinda the same thing I was thinking. I feel the same way about ppl that know nothing about fishing, pushing the laws for fishing. But in all honesty tagging is not going to conserve resources. It will provide good data to maybe plan limits and stuff years down the road, but a conservationist is someone who works to conserve resources. so yea the guy who lets a 9 lb trout go is a conservationist. Now if he is going to do that then yea why not put a tag in it just for later records. but to say he isn't a conservationist, I have to disagree.

adamsfence 04-01-2010 07:39 AM

i feel that anyone that releases a fish, tags a fish, picks up a piece a trash that wasn't thiers, keeps only the fish they are gonna eat instead of just to say they limited. is a conservationist. Now is there are different levels, yes. you could do all of this or just part. doing one and not the other don't mean that you are better than someone else.

I also feel that just because you like to catch your fish one way don't mean that all the others are wrong. To push for a law to make everyone else change because you don't like there methods is wrong. Now on the flip side if there is evidence (not personal feelings) that something is hurting the population or something then by all means lets change. If we keep pushing for new laws we gonna push ourselfs in a corner and one day we gonna wake up and only be able to fish out of a nonmotorized boat ten thousand feet from any structure with cane poles and artificial bait only.

just my 2 cents

FF_T_Warren 04-01-2010 07:40 AM

bingo

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamsfence (Post 134888)
i feel that anyone that releases a fish, tags a fish, picks up a piece a trash that wasn't thiers, keeps only the fish they are gonna eat instead of just to say they limited. is a conservationist. Now is there are different levels, yes. you could do all of this or just part. doing one and not the other don't mean that you are better than someone else.

I also feel that just because you like to catch your fish one way don't mean that all the others are wrong. To push for a law to make everyone else change because you don't like there methods is wrong. Now on the flip side if there is evidence (not personal feelings) that something is hurting the population or something then by all means lets change. If we keep pushing for new laws we gonna push ourselfs in a corner and one day we gonna wake up and only be able to fish out of a nonmotorized boat ten thousand feet from any structure with cane poles and artificial bait only.

just my 2 cents

Well said my friend. I like to think I'm a conservation because I never get my limit:(

adamsfence 04-01-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 134890)
Well said my friend. I like to think I'm a conservation because I never get my limit:(

don't feel bad i don't either:cry:

cmdrost 04-01-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 134877)

:rotfl::rotfl: He didn't show. This goes down for gayest post of the year.

Salty 04-01-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrost (Post 134912)
:rotfl::rotfl: He didn't show. This goes down for gayest post of the year.

Might qualify as the gayest thread of the year.

"W" 04-01-2010 08:39 AM

Maybe I profiled waders only because they catch bigger trout! Its anyone who supports things but don't investigate and research!

I understand a guide does not have anytime to tag and release trout! I understand lots of people who just fish for food will never want to tag trout. Thats fine!

There is a hand full of guys that fish about the same amount of time i do!

This is my option and like I said if it offends you im sorry

Chas........ Since this is the gayest post of the year........LOL

One question and you know the real answer!

The 15 trout limit was pushed but Politics and Money with NO written evidence!

Also on a good note! Big Lake is the most protected saltwater body in LA and has more benefits than any other place
POLITICS AND MONEY

Like I said........I'm not talking about one person or persons......I'm talking about a whole! My Opinion!

cmdrost 04-01-2010 08:43 AM

"One question and you know the real answer!

The 15 trout limit was pushed but Politics and Money with NO written evidence!"

Absolutely without a doubt WRONG!!! I was there, you weren't. Biologist wanted to reduce it to 10!

Also, how can a conservationist be greedy??? Those 2 terms totally contradict each other.

W.....where is all this coming from right now???

"W" 04-01-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrost (Post 134931)

Absolutely without a doubt WRONG!!! I was there, you weren't. Biologist wanted to reduce it to 10!

Also, how can a conservationist be greedy??? Those 2 terms totally contradict each other.

Just talking with one of my guide buddies and hearing some of the BS that is being talk about from some higher powers! That probably never caught a trout with out a guide

"W" 04-01-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Chas I never saw any info to the public that supported this from the Biologist? Is there any public paperwork or proof?

Salty 04-01-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Chas, he's a post whore. :smokin:

"W" 04-01-2010 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 134935)
Chas, he's a post whore. :smokin:

:shaking::shaking::shaking: