SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cane Syrup ???? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66732)

lil bubba 04-02-2017 08:24 PM

Cane Syrup ????

When I was a kid we was po...Mamma bought syrup in a yellow can. I think it was steens cane syrup . Anyone know if this is what i'm looking for ? Is it still available ? Is there any place that sells this still ? It got to go good lathered on a smoke pork roast ....Not to mention on some bisquit's .....

Bluechip 04-02-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil bubba (Post 818308)
When I was a kid we was po...Mamma bought syrup in a yellow can. I think it was steens cane syrup . Anyone know if this is what i'm looking for ? Is it still available ? Is there any place that sells this still ? It got to go good lathered on a smoke pork roast ....Not to mention on some bisquit's .....

Yep..... it was Steen's. just about every store in SW Louisiana carries it.

lil bubba 04-02-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 818309)
Yep..... it was Steen's. just about every store in SW Louisiana carries it.

I go thru lafayette or oppalusas a couple times a year to go to winnfield up north. Any particular stores I can make a side trip to ???

Bluechip 04-02-2017 09:48 PM

I'm on the west side of the state. I can't believe the grocery stores in Lafayette and Opelousas don't carry it. Steen's syrup is from Abbeville.

redaddiction 04-02-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil bubba (Post 818312)
I go thru lafayette or oppalusas a couple times a year to go to winnfield up north. Any particular stores I can make a side trip to ???

Every grocery store carries it in lafayette. Albertsons, Walmart, super one foods, Rouses. It's in a bottle now. It's all I use.

bjhooper82 04-02-2017 10:13 PM

Kinda off subject but related. Have you ever tried Black Strap rum made by Cruzan? To me it kinda has that same taste and it is made with black strap molasses. Pretty good stuff with ice and a splash of water.

lil bubba 04-03-2017 07:25 AM

Thanks guy's. I'll check out rouses next time I go by one .

Crawl79 04-03-2017 08:27 AM

Can buy Steen's anywhere in Opelousas or Lafayette. Even Walmart has it.

I guess I am spoiled thought could buy steens anywhere in Louisiana.

Dad and I still make popcorn balls with it and I use it allot at home.

Cappy 04-03-2017 12:18 PM

heck Buba its at win dixie and piggly wigly by ya house
anywhere
just look for the yellow can or glass bottle. We bought 2 glass bottles for convience now we buy cans to fill them.

Rub the syrup good on a butte roast it will make the dry rub stick mo betta and gives a good flavor. I also cook with it.

lil bubba 04-03-2017 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got it . Lil family owned store 3 blocks from my house got it tucked away on the side . I ain't seen this stuff in 40 years . Didn't think they made it no more....

Stumpy14 04-03-2017 03:24 PM

I thought I ran across stains at Lee's pies might try and call don't remember for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Cappy 04-03-2017 03:59 PM

We neva quit using it. it has always been available every where just folks forget to look for it. It also comes in glas bottles buy it in bottles save the bottles and refill tehm from the cans we ahve been doing this for ever. I love the taste of cane syrup cause I grew up on it.

smooth move 04-03-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil bubba (Post 818308)

when we were kids, syrup and bread was the only snack we got. a puddle of steens in a saucer and one pc of bread in the afternoon if we didn't get into any trouble that morning.

tboy 04-03-2017 04:47 PM

Big ol healthy dose of steens in a bowl of cornbread and milk... Now I gave myself an "envie"

Flex 04-03-2017 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cappy (Post 818354)
heck Buba its at win dixie and piggly wigly by ya house
anywhere
just look for the yellow can or glass bottle. We bought 2 glass bottles for convience now we buy cans to fill them.

Rub the syrup good on a butte roast it will make the dry rub stick mo betta and gives a good flavor. I also cook with it.

You just blew my mind! Definitely doing this on my next smoke!

I love steens. Only syrup I'll touch.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

eman 04-10-2017 04:03 PM

I mix 1/2 steens and 1/2 yellow mustard to put on pork before adding the rub.