SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best Offshore Jobs (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42872)

Slidellkid 04-09-2013 06:18 PM

Best Offshore Jobs

I have a stepson that is interested in working offshore. He has a degree in automotive technology but is interested in offshore work. What do all think are some of the best ways to get started? Should he get an associates degree from Nichols or a production technology degree first? What jobs seems to be in the most demand out there?

Thanks,

Dan

jdunbar 04-09-2013 06:41 PM

I'm in communications, and like it well enough. It all depends on what he wants to do, and how long he would be willing to stay out there. I like communications because you don't stay out long, only a day or two, then hit the next one, but it is 24hr call, and that can be a pain.

mcjaredsandwich 04-09-2013 06:50 PM

I'm new to the gulf...Graduated in Dec from McNeese in General Agriculture and now I'm a production Operator, started January 2nd. Production is the way to go, IMO. I work 7/7 and really like it. For a sportsman, it's a hell of an awesome schedule. I didn't have any experience but they sent me to school and training. Most out here are willing to teach you all they know, at least the people I've worked with. Here are some companies if he wants to get into production; send resumes to Apache, Wood Group, Shamrock, etc..

With a mechanically based background, he could always be a mechanic out here..

mcjaredsandwich 04-09-2013 07:12 PM

Also, a good place to start looking is http://www.rigzone.com/ There, you can upload a resume and browse job listings all over the country. They have a wide variety of postings in all kinds of backgrounds.

Slidellkid 04-09-2013 07:38 PM

Thanks

weedeater 04-09-2013 07:58 PM

I worked 8yrs as a measurement tech, thats a pretty good field and his mechanical back ground would help out.... look into pipeline operations, feild tech ect with Chevron, ConocoPhillips and such companies.... look up Indeed.com or company sites on the web.

RonnieF 04-09-2013 08:00 PM

If he likes a set schedule then production would be the way to go. A lot of the service companies will be on a call out basis, 24 hour call. Starting out, he may get the messy jobs until he advances, but on occasions everyone gets messy. Being a mechanic has it's advantages, but after wrestling with that iron for years many mechanics are beat up from that experience.

papap 04-09-2013 08:33 PM

I know exxonMobil will be testing next month for offshore jobs. Send me your email if you want info on testing dates.

DA COVE 04-10-2013 01:29 AM

Production is probably gonna give the most job security. The drilling side is starting to need some entry level people. also the drilling side is gonna offer more routes. I've been doing it about 17 years. In Brasil at the moment, next will be SE Asia. It's for some people, but not others!!

fishaholic82 04-10-2013 02:12 AM

Im a crane operator on a drillship and if I would suggest anything it would be to go subsea. Thats where the big money is at. But for entry level our roustabouts start at around $65,000 a year.

DA COVE 04-10-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishaholic82 (Post 569140)
Im a crane operator on a drillship and if I would suggest anything it would be to go subsea. Thats where the big money is at. But for entry level our roustabouts start at around $65,000 a year.

Yea, I'd suggest subsea ($$) also if it's an opportunity on the drilling side, just not something you'll get hired directly into.. Get out there, work hard/smart, get suction in the right pit, and you'll get where you want!!

fishaholic82 04-10-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA COVE (Post 569141)
Yea, I'd suggest subsea ($$) also if it's an opportunity on the drilling side, just not something you'll get hired directly into.. Get out there, work hard, get suction in the right pit, and you'll get where you want!!

Exactly I agree 100 percent. Also right now everyone is hiring and its a good time to get your foot in the door. As long as you work hard and apply yourself and show motivation right now is a good time to move up the ladder and make some really good money too!

swamp snorkler 04-10-2013 06:14 AM

ROV Operator would be choice if I had to pick a job.

If you want a set schedule. Production, Measurment and Drilling.

Non set schedules mostly on call or your service companies, wireline, casing, rental tools.

My cousin who is 31 or started stright out of HS working for a drilling company, he went to college in South Mississippi on his days off and got some type of petroleum degree. He is now a company man with BP making over $150,000 yr working only half the year.

DA COVE 04-10-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 569147)
ROV Operator would be choice if I had to pick a job.

If you want a set schedule. Production, Measurment and Drilling.

Non set schedules mostly on call or your service companies, wireline, casing, rental tools.

My cousin who is 31 or started stright out of HS working for a drilling company, he went to college in South Mississippi on his days off and got some type of petroleum degree. He is now a company man with BP making over $150,000 yr working only half the year.

He!!, that makes me glad i'm not a comp. man.. At least for BP.. they're are some comp. men out there hauling in $300k-$400k though..

swamp snorkler 04-10-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA COVE (Post 569157)
He!!, that makes me glad i'm not a comp. man.. At least for BP.. they're are some comp. men out there hauling in $300k-$400k though..

I'm sure he makes more than that, that's what he started at. I'll see him in a few weekends. I'll ask him then.

swampman46 04-10-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA COVE (Post 569157)

comp.?

mcjaredsandwich 04-10-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 569162)
comp.?

company

swampman46 04-10-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich (Post 569163)
company

Well duh! I had thought of that, but thought no thats too simple. :)

swampman46 04-10-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishaholic82 (Post 569140)

65k starting? Sheesh! Well I never worked offshore, but had the chance back in the '70's when I got out of school. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the roustabout position a sort of "right out of high school" position? No experience necessary?

jdm4x43732 04-10-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 569238)
65k starting? Sheesh! Well I never worked offshore, but had the chance back in the '70's when I got out of school. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the roustabout position a sort of "right out of high school" position? No experience necessary?

Yep. But in 99 when I started roustabouting it was around 30,000$ a yr.