SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   browning bps issues (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26406)

youu_whoo_whoo 12-24-2011 05:34 PM

browning bps issues

I purchased a new browning bps about a month ago and every time i go shoot it i have issues with it. Sometimes it ejects the shot shell and another shell out of the magazine tube, but this rarely happens. What it does most often is it shoots and ejects the spent shell but it does not always put another shell into the chamber so when i go to pull the trigger for the second time all i get is a click. It is also hard to get the shells out of the tube with the button because sometimes they get caught and dont want to come out of the tube. Has anyone ever had these problems, and could i send my gun back to browning to get it fixed after duck season since it is an almost new gun that has had these issues from the beginning. Just as a reference i have shot about 50 shells through it. Thanks for any help.

Wide Open 12-24-2011 05:51 PM

A buddy of mine use to have the same probs. with his I don't remember what the issue was , but he gave up on it and bought an auto! Sorry, and good luck with it!

Kenner18 12-24-2011 06:18 PM

I would contact Browning as soon as possible . I am sure they will make it rite since it is a new gun. I have always had excellent service from them .

youu_whoo_whoo 12-24-2011 08:44 PM

Thats what I thought i would have to do. At first i thought i was short shucking the gun, but it did it a couple of times when i was just running the shells through it making shure to pump it fully so i know it cant be a short shucking issue.

Lake Chuck Duck 12-24-2011 10:10 PM

I have a little older BPS. I have always shot mostly 3 1/2" out of mine. I was having issues with the first bullet getting jammed after firing and the gun not shucking. I would have to slam it down at the stock on the blind to get the shell to shuck. At the time I was shooting kent brand shells. I switched bullets and never had another problem (at least not a consistent one). I shoot winchester and remington now and never miss a lick.

Moral of the story is try a different brand of bullet to make sure it still does it before you go any further.

BigChaf 12-25-2011 10:04 AM

I'll second that motion LCD, definitly try a different shell maker to see if that makes the gun operate properly.

Kenner18 12-25-2011 10:24 AM

The only shells I had problems with was remington sportsmans and estate,when I was shooting a BPS. You may also be trying to cycle the pump to fast ,I had a buddy who did that and had a similar issue.

youu_whoo_whoo 12-25-2011 12:20 PM

Its the estates that have been giving me the issues, but i have a box of kents that i can try and i can borrow some of my cousins winchester shells because i cant get any more shells before monday. Hopefully ill find out monday if i have issues or not.

youu_whoo_whoo 12-26-2011 02:28 PM

Different shells still gave me problems, anyone have experience with sending guns back?

pmckee318 12-26-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youu_whoo_whoo (Post 367207)
I purchased a new browning bps about a month ago and every time i go shoot it i have issues with it. Sometimes it ejects the shot shell and another shell out of the magazine tube, but this rarely happens. What it does most often is it shoots and ejects the spent shell but it does not always put another shell into the chamber so when i go to pull the trigger for the second time all i get is a click. It is also hard to get the shells out of the tube with the button because sometimes they get caught and dont want to come out of the tube. Has anyone ever had these problems, and could i send my gun back to browning to get it fixed after duck season since it is an almost new gun that has had these issues from the beginning. Just as a reference i have shot about 50 shells through it. Thanks for any help.

If you don't completely cycle the pump action on a bps, it ejects only, and will not chamber one. Borrowed a friends one year, and it gave me fits. Found the action very stiff compaired to the old 870 in which the pump action is very easy and never has that problem, I was told this is a feature for taking a shell out of the chamber but not unloading the magazine. Never confirmed this, just never used one again.

Feesherman 02-01-2012 02:09 PM

I had that problem on an older BPS. Took it to a gun smith and he bent one of the little arms and never had a problem again. It's a known issue with some BPS's that get worn.

youu_whoo_whoo 03-04-2012 02:50 AM

I ended up sending it back and they changed 2 parts. I still havnt shot it since i got it back. so i hope it works right now.

popawillieq 03-22-2012 08:49 AM

I had that problem with mine on the first box. I sent it back an they fixed it no questions asked. Haven't had a problem since.

toodeep 03-23-2012 10:14 AM

my bps only like the cheap shells. It will not shoot high end shells.
do not know why but it shoots good.