SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Best Boat for Mixed Bay and Offshore (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30721)

Slidellkid 04-29-2012 10:42 AM

Best Boat for Mixed Bay and Offshore

I want to be able to go offshore and catch Cobia, snapper, kings;). I have been thinking of a 22-24 foot bay boat and I believe I could do just fine with it, but could I do better if I got something like a 19 Cape Horn or 20 Sea Hunt or 19 Pioneer as a do all boat. How much of a handicap, if any, is a regular center console in Big Lake or the marsh versus a bay boat, assuming I can put a trolling motor up front. Many of the 19 and 20 center consoles have the smaller or shallower draft as the larger bay boats.

My thinking was that a 24 foot bay boat is very expensive and I can get a 19 or 20 foot center console (barley used) for 16-20k.

shellman 04-29-2012 10:56 AM

Oh ....i belive you opened a can of worms

Dink 04-29-2012 11:07 AM

My 19! Cape horn is an exceptionally capable boat. BUT!!! Because of the grab rail, front lights, and anchor pulpit, mounting a troll motor isn't possible......that's my only drawback. But I do alot of drifting and when I find the fish, I drop anchor. But really, for inshore a troll motor is almost a must have......

Slidellkid 04-29-2012 11:13 AM

Yes, I would want a trolling motor and have to be able to mount a pedestal seat on the front as well. I think you can do that on some of the Cape Horns and I am pretty sure you can do it on the 202 Sea Hunt and 19 Pioneer

noodle creek 04-29-2012 12:11 PM

find a used bay boat at least 22 ft. with low hours. a big center console will be tough to fish out of in marshes and shallow lakes, but you can do it all in a regular bay boat. if you go offshore you will have to pick your calm days. i fish up to 65 miles offshore regularly out of a haynie, a nautic star, and a shearwater, but have also been a long way in a couple different 21 ft. boats. personally if i were going to go in a 19 ft center console like a cape horn or sea hunt i would still only want to go on a day calm enough to fish offshore out of a bay boat as well. there will be more days where staying inshore is the better option, so you might as well have a boat that performs best in the shallow waters

Montauk17 04-29-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle creek (Post 425737)
find a used bay boat at least 22 ft. with low hours. a big center console will be tough to fish out of in marshes and shallow lakes, but you can do it all in a regular bay boat. if you go offshore you will have to pick your calm days. i fish up to 65 miles offshore regularly out of a haynie, a nautic star, and a shearwater, but have also been a long way in a couple different 21 ft. boats. personally if i were going to go in a 19 ft center console like a cape horn or sea hunt i would still only want to go on a day calm enough to fish offshore out of a bay boat as well. there will be more days where staying inshore is the better option, so you might as well have a boat that performs best in the shallow waters

65 miles in a bay boat with one motor is insane. There is no such thing as a do it all boat,there is always a trade off.

huntin fool 04-29-2012 12:53 PM

If your getting a cape horn, etc. its a tad bit harder to fish lakes like biglake, etc. they are fine offshore.

Just get a 21-22 ft. Ranger, Skeeter, Haynie, Shearwater, whatever floats your boat.

Salty 04-29-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle creek (Post 425737)

typo?

noodle creek 04-29-2012 02:54 PM

no we have a SPOT and radio, try to get 2 boats if possible, and usually don't make it that far, only on super slick days. and montauk17 i agree no boat is a do it all boat, but for what the thread was asking a bay boat would be better to achieve both offshore trips while still being able to mount a trolling motor and fish shallow inshore areas as well

Dink 04-29-2012 03:31 PM

I go 50 miles out in my cape.....also get around inshore in 1.6in water on the big motor..... Take off the grabrail and the anchor pulpit(which is in the way when launching and loading the boat anyway) and you could mount a troll motor then.......just suggestions if you come across a deep center at a good price

Reefman 04-30-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle creek (Post 425784)
no we have a SPOT and radio, try to get 2 boats if possible, and usually don't make it that far, only on super slick days. and montauk17 i agree no boat is a do it all boat, but for what the thread was asking a bay boat would be better to achieve both offshore trips while still being able to mount a trolling motor and fish shallow inshore areas as well

I'm gonna put my $.02 in this one....Montauk17 is 100% correct; a bay boat is exactly that, a BAY BOAT! They have no business out in open Gulf waters away from shore. Ya rolling the dice going out there in a boat that has only one engine, low gunnels and poor rough water capabilities. Get caught in a big thunderstorm out there and I promise you will be saying your prayers quickly while puttin on your life preserver...Most should read their insurance policy on a bay boat...you're not covered should something happen 2 miles from shore. Cape Horn would be a good choice for doing both.

Jadams 04-30-2012 01:46 PM

I take my 24 offshore all the time no problems just don't go on anything worse than 2s

Jadams 04-30-2012 01:47 PM

And a 19 cape horn ain't goin in worse than 2s either w out u needing a bottle of pain pills when u get home

PUREBAY2200 04-30-2012 01:52 PM

Think of what you will do most..... Inshore or offshore.
Then go get ur boat.

A bay boat is called an "bay boat " for a reason.
A offshore boat is called an "offshore boat" for a reason.

There is no hybrid.

Pick what u plan of doing more of and go have fun.

Jadams 04-30-2012 02:01 PM

A 19 ft is not an offshore boat

noodle creek 04-30-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadams (Post 426137)
A 19 ft is not an offshore boat

EXACTLY, neither a 19 ft deep center console or a bay boat are offshore boats, but if you are smart about it you can make it offshore in both. trust me i go offshore in true offshore boats as well and i know how rough it can get. i've turned around many times in a bay boat. i'm not an idiot and i will only go on slick days when storms aren't building. all i'm trying to say is that a bay boat is probably the better boat for near shore and inshore fishing

Jadams 04-30-2012 02:11 PM

I been 52 miles in 18 Kenner w 135 only thing stopped me from goin further was lack of fuel capacity

Salty 04-30-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 425798)
I go 50 miles out in my cape.....also get around inshore in 1.6in water on the big motor..... Take off the grabrail and the anchor pulpit(which is in the way when launching and loading the boat anyway) and you could mount a troll motor then.......just suggestions if you come across a deep center at a good price

I thought yours fell off? :eek:

latravcha 04-30-2012 04:54 PM

36'continder tripple 350 yammys with a 200 inch 250 rip tide

swamp snorkler 04-30-2012 05:07 PM

Look for a 22' Triton SeaFlight/ end of thread

Lifelong fan of the Super Bowl 44 Champions New Orleans Saints!!!!!