SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conservationist's Corner (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Wood Duck Box (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43474)

Goosepond Monster 05-01-2013 11:13 AM

Wood Duck Box

I put my box out last year, but it was in a bad spot and I think I might have been a bit late. Last fall when I was deer hunting I noticed that my grandma had all kinds of woodies, one day I counted about three dozen, hanging out in a certain spot on her pond. I figured it would be a good idea to move my box close to there this spring. I got it moved about a month ago and two hours later, while fishing, I noticed a pair of woodies cruising the pond and they went past where I hung the box. I let it sit until this past weekend and I had a very pleasant surprise when I checked it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psf45b5122.jpg

I am going to see about getting a trail cam set up in hopes of catching 'jump day' for the ducklings.

swamp snorkler 05-01-2013 12:01 PM

Hell Yeah....... scramble them up or boil them!

J/K, someone not long ago some pics of jump day on here.

Goosepond Monster 05-01-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 575591)
Hell Yeah....... scramble them up or boil them!

J/K, someone not long ago some pics of jump day on here.

I showed the picture to my buddy's wife. She asked, "can you eat them?" One of those facepalm moments.

I remember some pictures from last spring were posted on here. Cool stuff for sure.

bjhooper82 05-01-2013 12:15 PM

That's awesome!!

wtretrievers 05-01-2013 12:59 PM

I set one of my cameras up on my box. Never got any pictures. Guess trigger isn't fast enough. There is now 2nd batch in box. Maybe I can catch the little ones on the water with camera.

Wag 05-01-2013 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pics Christine took last year of Wood Ducks jumping, this one box has over 60 Wood Ducks hatched out of it over the past few years.

Spunt Drag 05-01-2013 06:07 PM

Hopefully a snake doesn't turn that box into a buffet.

swamp snorkler 05-03-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunt Drag (Post 575721)
Hopefully a snake doesn't turn that box into a buffet.

Typically they put a piece of tin around the base so a snake can't climb into it.

DannyI 05-20-2013 09:20 PM

Think the only game cam that is quick enough is the Cuddieback.

Goosepond Monster 03-29-2015 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm hoping someone here can provide some suggestions. I've had eggs in the box the last two years, but I think a coon has raided the nest. Any ideas to keep varmints out?

Attachment 84779

Moving it over the water would be tough as it is an old strip pit and rather deep. Plus, the ducks are already aware of the box's location.

BIGV 03-29-2015 11:09 AM

Maybe put it on some type of metal post that the critters cant climb and also put the metal ring for insurance. Just a thought but I believe it would work.

Smalls 03-29-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosepond Monster (Post 746433)
I'm hoping someone here can provide some suggestions. I've had eggs in the box the last two years, but I think a coon has raided the nest. Any ideas to keep varmints out?

Attachment 84779

Moving it over the water would be tough as it is an old strip pit and rather deep. Plus, the ducks are already aware of the box's location.

Get you one of those cones. Probably have to do one above and one below, or else the coons will come down the tree.

latravcha 03-30-2015 10:11 AM

I have 3 boxes in the pond and 2 on the bayou in front of the house. I have wood ducks in all of the boxes every year. All of the boxes are over the water and I made cones to put on the poles. I also put Vaseline on the post below the cone. I have only had one box raided by coons.