SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   eggs for chicken wire (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37212)

FF_T_Warren 10-13-2012 08:49 PM

eggs for chicken wire

just getting into raising some laying hens. right now I have 20 chicks and am fixing to start building a coop for them. I was wondering if anyone had any chicken wire laying around that they may want to trade for some eggs. now obviously it will be a little while before they start laying but once they do I'll be having more eggs than I know what to do with(approx. 20 eggs a day). thats where your payment comes in. So anyone have any wire laying around that they'd be interested in trading.

also it wont be a one time deal. youll be having eggs as long as I have them.

Gerald 10-13-2012 11:01 PM

I hate to burst you expectations, but

With 20 chicks now, most likely in 6 months you will only have 15. Then when they do start finally start laying you will get maybe 7 eggs a day, but probably more like 3 or 4 per day.

Good news is that you should get [my estimate] 25 to 30 eggs per week.....if....all goes well.

Is this estimate fairly close????

FF_T_Warren 10-14-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 503622)
I hate to burst you expectations, but

With 20 chicks now, most likely in 6 months you will only have 15. Then when they do start finally start laying you will get maybe 7 eggs a day, but probably more like 3 or 4 per day.

Good news is that you should get [my estimate] 25 to 30 eggs per week.....if....all goes well.

Is this estimate fairly close????

idk but my buddy has 11 and he gets 10-11 eggs a day. and he bought extra in expectations that some would die and he hasnt lost but one. and it was full grown when it got killed. you may be right but thats how his is working out. we will see.

bass1960 10-14-2012 10:03 AM

I have 10 chickens and get 7 or 8 eggs a day during the summer. Chickens don't lay we'll when the days get shorter and winter approaches. My egg production is already decreasing. As far as a coup, I went to academy and bought a dog kennel with a cover.($199.00). I then took some chicken wire and coerced the top holes to prevent creatures from getting in. if you live near any woods, you will probably have problems with coons. i also sprinkle Snakeaway around the pin to keep snakes away. Works great. I then built several egg 3 laying boxes.

yigodiver 10-14-2012 02:32 PM

If you want to ever butcher chickens I have the perfect plucker. It is automated and will pluck 2 chickens in less than 30 seconds. My aunt had 58 birds and I was done in less than 2 hours in the cooler, on the way back home. It also does a fine job on geese.

I can't raise chickens in my neighborhood, per convenance so???????

swamp snorkler 10-14-2012 06:47 PM

I have 4 chickens and I've been picking up an average of 3 eggs a day. They were hatched in April. I think I only picked up 4 eggs twice since they first started laying. I would get 15 now and in 5 or 6 weeks get 15 more. Chicken need 4 sq ft of space per chicken.

swamp snorkler 10-14-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yigodiver (Post 503776)
If you want to ever butcher chickens I have the perfect plucker. It is automated and will pluck 2 chickens in less than 30 seconds. My aunt had 58 birds and I was done in less than 2 hours in the cooler, on the way back home. It also does a fine job on geese.

Just say they pets and don't get a rooster. I copied the plans from catawbacoops.com. I'm not supposed to have chickens either but the neighbors don't mind as long as I don't have a rooster screaming all the time.

I move my coop every few days so it doesn't make dead spots in the yard.

FF_T_Warren 10-15-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 503856)
I have 4 chickens and I've been picking up an average of 3 eggs a day. They were hatched in April. I think I only picked up 4 eggs twice since they first started laying. I would get 15 now and in 5 or 6 weeks get 15 more. Chicken need 4 sq ft of space per chicken.

ima let em free range im in a neighborhood with no wild animals or dogs. we got about 2 acres with about 1/4 acre of woods.

FF_T_Warren 10-15-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yigodiver (Post 503776)

you wanting to sell it?

swamp snorkler 12-05-2012 11:46 AM

You getting any eggs yet?

FF_T_Warren 12-05-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 525258)
You getting any eggs yet?

No something killed everyone of em about a month ago. So I'm goin to re attempt in the spring when the weather warms up

swamp snorkler 12-05-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 525297)
No something killed everyone of em about a month ago. So I'm goin to re attempt in the spring when the weather warms up

Damn, that sucks. I caught a Possum snooping around my pen so I gave him a real quick dirt snap.

Fishmaster19 12-05-2012 03:44 PM

I have chickens. We used to have about 30 and in the summer time we were getting about 20 to 40 eggs a day. When conditions are right, they will lay more than one egg per day. Now in the winter we only got about 15 per day with that many chickens. we recently got rid of a little more than half. we now have 12 and in the summer we get 8 to 15 eggs per day and in the winter 5 to 7.

JAg 12-05-2012 05:45 PM

You can put lights on them in the winter time, put them on a timer to make them think the day is longer and they will lay better in the winter time.

swamp snorkler 12-05-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAg (Post 525342)
You can put lights on them in the winter time, put them on a timer to make them think the day is longer and they will lay better in the winter time.

Quoted for the truth, I have a timer that comes at 3:30 am and I get 3 or eggs every day.

Also chicken lay on a 27 hour cycle so unless it's hatching preme eggs, you only going to get 1 per day per chicken.