SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Speck call help (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61482)

C-Bass2mouth 08-27-2015 07:43 AM

Speck call help

Looking to buy a speck call for $100 or less. I'd say I'm maybe one step above a beginner, but definitely new to the speck call game. Thought I was getting pretty good... until I started watching some YouTube vids of the comp guys. Not sure how difficult some of the nicer speck calls can be for a spoonbill like me to run. I've heard a ton of good things about Riceland, seems like most people around here that hunt specks hard blow these, but I feel that could be biased since they're a local deal. Looking at the RCC poly now, and the RNT barbelly. Can anyone change my mind?

meaux fishing 08-27-2015 07:51 AM

riceland poly is a very good call. very easy to operate too. Dont watch pro videos and compare yourself they have been blowing a lot longer than you or me. I've found if I recorded myself and played it back I could see where I need work. hand position is everything when blowing a speck call

Duck Butter 08-27-2015 08:10 AM

Calls them specks in baw

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/...onize-angling/

cgoods17 08-27-2015 08:10 AM

RCC poly is probably your best bang for you buck.

meaux fishing 08-27-2015 08:13 AM

Just use electronic calls. Super easy and only illegal if you get caught lol

C-Bass2mouth 08-27-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 770607)

I need that to tie behind my gang rigged mojo floater pull cord. Get every water turkey in the parish to come decoy..

bosco 08-27-2015 08:24 AM

Prejudiced, yes. Chien Kie. Produced in Gueydan by the Saltzmans. Been using one for over 20 years.

These are no nonsense calls. Durable. Best thing is you can talk "spec" with one.

The other new calls are good and sound good to me; however, I am not a specklebelly.

Duck Festival is this weekend. Go to the Goose Calling contest. You should be able to get a wealth of first hand information there.

C-Bass2mouth 08-27-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 770609)
Just use electronic calls. Super easy and only illegal if you get caught lol

ILLEGAL??? I would NEVER do anything illegal or unethical while hunting waterfowl.. just for the record lol

C-Bass2mouth 08-27-2015 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosco (Post 770612)
Prejudiced, yes. Chien Kie. Produced in Gueydan by the Saltzmans. Been using one for over 20 years.

These are no nonsense calls. Durable. Best thing is you can talk "spec" with one.

The other new calls are good and sound good to me; however, I am not a specklebelly.

Duck Festival is this weekend. Go to the Goose Calling contest. You should be able to get a wealth of first hand information there.

I've heard a lot of old timers talk about these. My fiancée's birthday is Saturday, I seriously doubt I can convince her that the best place to spend it at is in Gueydan lol. I'd love to check it out though. Curious about the duck calling contests. Do they do a meat style?

meaux fishing 08-27-2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosco (Post 770612)

chien caille... just sayin

great sounding calls but not as easy to blow as the rcc's

meaux fishing 08-27-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth (Post 770615)
I've heard a lot of old timers talk about these. My fiancée's birthday is Saturday, I seriously doubt I can convince her that the best place to spend it at is in Gueydan lol. I'd love to check it out though. Curious about the duck calling contests. Do they do a meat style?

calling contest is sunday

Rat-Red 08-27-2015 08:55 AM

SKG Game Calls in Lafayette makes some nice calls for not much money. I've only heard his duck calls but I'm pretty sure he builds speck calls too.

Top Dawg 08-27-2015 09:03 AM

Under 100 go with chien caille. I use a redbone but they are high end but my chien caille is still hanging on my lanyard for backup. I bought my dad a rice land poly for Christmas a couple years and the tone was terrible. He now has a redbone also. If you do get a chien and it's hard to blow mervis will make it blow however you want.

redleg one 08-27-2015 09:06 AM

I run nothing but redbone goose calls,but I do agree that a Riceland poly is a good product for the price range indicated

I also agree that it is unrealistic to compare yourself to the top shelf guys being that you are just starting out

I ran chien caille for 20 years,then started with redbone in the prototype stages in 2006

Just remember that there are many stages one must go through to attain the necessary air control skills needed to run like what is seen on you tube

It is a progression,nobody just takes a call from the package and rips off a 90 second comp routine or immediately can mimic a specific goose on the spot,takes time and practice hours---countless---I have lived it

ahlangle 08-27-2015 09:14 AM

Chien Caille got the best one I've ever used. Mine is the older style and the newer ones are a little different but still very good. Probably find an old one somehwere if you look.
Difficult until you get used to em, but put alot of backpressure on that sucker and if you catch a group of like 4 or less, they seem to like it.

The cheap clear plastic Haydel's speck call works very well also, real nasal sounding.

Speck calls and a whistle are all I bother bringing out anymore as the widgeon and the speck are the only ones that seem to have anything to say when I talk!

meaux fishing 08-27-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 770624)
Under 100 go with chien caille. I use a redbone but they are high end but my chien caille is still hanging on my lanyard for backup. I bought my dad a rice land poly for Christmas a couple years and the tone was terrible. He now has a redbone also. If you do get a chien and it's hard to blow mervis will make it blow however you want.

Shouldve got with Myers or Daniels. Ive heard they will make it right if you have problems

boatdriver 08-27-2015 09:16 AM

If you have the extra money laying around, just get a RedBone. Very realistic sounding calls straight out of the mailbox. Pricey, but in the end, it will be very beneficial. Plus, RedBone sends out an instructional DVD on the How to's. Worth every penny right there. I run a Redbone as well, so I am very biased. But, I was in your position once and then I heard one in the blind... From then on, that's what I wanted to sound like!

Spunt Drag 08-27-2015 09:52 AM

Redbone the best IMO. Don't really like the Riceland poly.

C-Bass2mouth 08-27-2015 10:02 AM

Some people I know were partnered up with SKG. I blew several of the duck calls, didn't know he made a spec call. All the duck calls were just echo inserts with a hand turned barrel then. Poly RCC is looking like the top candidate now

C-Bass2mouth 08-27-2015 10:08 AM

The only calls I've ever owned was the orange Haydels, and a Banded Poly I got for free. Been keeping the Banded one on my lanyard, but keep in mind I usually only get a few chances per season at specks, hence the reason I don't want to spend 150 bones on one.