SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Clear Creek Turkey Lottery (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58718)

ScubaLatt 03-08-2015 07:35 PM

Clear Creek Turkey Lottery

I got drawn for march 27/28 @ Clear creek WMA for opening weekend of Turkey season.

Anyone else got drawn and will be up that way?

Gerald 03-08-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaLatt (Post 743285)
I got drawn for march 27/28 @ Clear creek WMA for opening weekend of Turkey season.

Anyone else got drawn and will be up that way?

Looks like they will let anyone go up to CC. Don't take my spot on the 28th.

Smalls 03-08-2015 08:04 PM

Will be there. Third year in a row. I've been turkey hunting 4 years, and have been drawn every year (first was a west bay).

I don't think they get 100 applicants for the lottery. Either that, or I'm really lucky.

The last two years I've seen maybe 20 people opening weekend. I mean, the place is 60k acres, but there aren't turkeys on all 60k. I would think I would run into more people than I do.

specktator 03-08-2015 09:44 PM

Well looks like I didn't get picked then. Put in for Sherbune as first choice and West Bay as second choice.

Gerald 03-08-2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 743309)
Well looks like I didn't get picked then. Put in for Sherbune as first choice and West Bay as second choice.

Don't give up yet. About 6 years ago I got my permit about a week later than everyone else.

I normally put in for the Sherburne lottery and have killed several birds there.

I just think the population is still way down from the flood of May 2011 so I did not apply for there.

IMO.....they should have closed the Turkey season [and maybe Deer too] for 1 or 2 years to let the population recover.

specktator 03-09-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 743318)
Don't give up yet. About 6 years ago I got my permit about a week later than everyone else.

I normally put in for the Sherburne lottery and have killed several birds there.

I just think the population is still way down from the flood of May 2011 so I did not apply for there.

IMO.....they should have closed the Turkey season [and maybe Deer too] for 1 or 2 years to let the population recover.

Yeh they cut back season there to just one 2 day lottery and 3 days open to public. Used to be two 2 day lotteries and 5 days open to public. But I did kill one out there last year.

Gerald 03-09-2015 02:13 PM

The year before the flood 69 Turkey were killed...... one was mine.

I think last year there was 12 killed.

The lottery was cut way back. It use to be 150 hunters chosen. First lottery was Sat. and Sun. The second was Mon.-Wed. Then there was 4 days open to anyone.

Now there is just 2 days and 50 hunters to hunt the lottery. Then there is 3 days for anyone.

ScubaLatt 03-09-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 743297)
Looks like they will let anyone go up to CC. Don't take my spot on the 28th.

Can you show me on a map where your spot is so I won't go ther?

:spineyes:

specktator 03-11-2015 02:06 PM

Clear Creek Turkey Lottery

I got picked!! Not for Sherbune but West Bay and it wasn't the dates I chose as my 2nd choice. But I'm not complaining. They said they didn't meet quota for this date so they chose me. April 11-12

Crawl79 03-11-2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 743655)
I got picked!! Not for Sherbune but West Bay and it wasn't the dates I chose as my 2nd choice. But I'm not complaining. They said they didn't meet quota for this date so they chose me. April 11-12

Ill send you a PM off of FB for lent.

Gerald 03-11-2015 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 743655)

Hunting that late in the season could be a good thing. Maybe the toms will be out looking for hen then.

Pat Babaz 03-11-2015 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 743738)
Hunting that late in the season could be a good thing. Maybe the toms will be out looking for hen then.

I'm no big turkey pro or anything, but I have noticed this also. Late season can be good!! A lot of the hens are already setting a clutch but the toms are still roaming around looking to breed.

Crawl79 03-12-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 743738)

I much prefer late season, especially on places where pressure is controlled. i.e. lottery hunt wma's.

Much less competition for live hens..