SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   (archery) fav broadhead and why? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63218)

duckman1911 02-19-2016 08:47 PM

(archery) fav broadhead and why?

I have shot some different ones but haven't hunted with a bow much. Shot mechanical and they are good. Shot fixed replaceable blade stuff and they were ok.My favorite by far is the simple Magnus Stinger 2 blade. Shoot like darts, tough and resharpenable. Not wanting a debate thread. Just what you like and why so we all can get some ideas on what to try next.
The Magnus is easy to tune also. When tuned you don't shoot at the same spot twice unless you love refleching.

MathGeek 02-19-2016 08:56 PM

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3996132

Fast, accurate, deadly, and not too pricey for mechanical.

Bluechip 02-19-2016 08:58 PM

I shoot Grim Reaper Razorcut. I just like the way they shoot with my Hoyt Vector. They fly true every time and punch a big hole.

I probably shoot more hogs than deer.

I have shot most fixed blades and I didn't have issues with them just find mechanicals to shoot better with my set up.

FF_T_Warren 02-19-2016 10:03 PM

Meat seeker flies like a field point but can't fail to open

bjhooper82 02-20-2016 12:14 AM

Rage hypodermic. Opens them up and leaves one hell of a blood trail!

meat killer 86 02-20-2016 05:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 787411)
Meat seeker flies like a field point but can't fail to open

Attachment 102100

Love these. They shoot like a field tip. I have shot a lot of broad heads and I truly believe these are some of the best out there.
The head is very shot like a field tip and with the blades Undeployed and in flight they will ride along the shaft of the arrow. What this does is it won't change your FOC on the arrow. It keeps it in the same place. Which in better terms keeps your arrow flight the same as it were with the field tip. With other broadheads (fixed and expandable) I find that the broadheads are to long or are not as aerodynamic as these and will change the flight of the arrow. Either making it shoot lower or possible fly to one side.

I haven't lost a deer with these yet. I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

falcon29 02-20-2016 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started shooting 3 blade swhackers this past season. I killed 8 deer with them and 6 of them fell within 20 yards, the other 2 only made it about 60 yards. Amazing blood trails and had pass throughs on all deer shot. Even a 205 lb Illinois buck!

duckman1911 02-20-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon29 (Post 787460)
I started shooting 3 blade swhackers this past season. I killed 8 deer with them and 6 of them fell within 20 yards, the other 2 only made it about 60 yards. Amazing blood trails and had pass throughs on all deer shot. Even a 205 lb Illinois buck!

That's a big hole bro
Congrats on the table goodies :)

meat killer 86 02-21-2016 05:50 AM

Very nice hole!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckman1911 02-21-2016 08:37 AM

I've only shot one critter with a bow and I was using a magnus stinger. It was a small pig but I was surprised at the hole a sharp broadhead will make.

Flex 02-21-2016 02:16 PM

I've been shooting 2 blade Xecutioner heads for two years now. Always open to new stuff but they've done more damage than anything else I've use.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Bluechip 02-21-2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 787492)
I've only shot one critter with a bow and I was using a magnus stinger. It was a small pig but I was surprised at the hole a sharp broadhead will make.

I shot those for a few years. No complaints with it.

longsidelandry 02-21-2016 10:19 PM

Been shooting Thunderheads for about 6 years now. I just don't like the idea of mechanicals being able to open while in flight. It's hard enough to get one with my bow, don't need to decrease my chances!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gerald 02-22-2016 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longsidelandry (Post 787581)
years Been shooting Thunderheads for about 6 now. I just don't like the idea of mechanicals being able to open while in flight. It's hard enough to get one with my bow, don't need to decrease my chances!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I used the same six 100 gr Thunderheads 18 years. I would re-sharpen them before the season and once or twice during the season to keep them razor sharp. I replaced a few blades over the years after loosing them when shooting them.

I now shoot the 85 gr thunderheads at a lower poundage.

When the broad head kills them dead..... no need to change.

Reggoh 02-22-2016 08:26 AM

I have been shooting Slick Tricks for about 5 years now... very tough broadhead. Flies very true and makes a nice hole. Ive thought about trying mechanical broadheads over the years but just can't change from what works.

Crawl79 02-22-2016 09:34 AM

I keep a couple grim reapers in my quiver for hunting in water but I am a big fan of the Ramcat broadhead.

I shoot 100grain ramcats (1 3/8") but I switch out the 100 grain blades for the 125 grain blades (1 1/2") cut and fly's like a field point. Best part is no to very little broadhead tuning.

In the last 3 years have killed over 10 deer, 1 big boar and 1 bobcat with these broadheads. I had one doe this year that I gut shot that went a few hundred yards but let her sit about 6 hours and found her sitting in her bed too weak to get up. The rest have fell within 100 yards and most within sight.

If I were to try anything new would be the slick tricks. I just like a fixed blade although the mechanicals do some SERIOUS damage even on the some marginal shot placement.

Year before last I shot a bobcat that was facing me in the front shoulder with a ramcat. The broadhead sliced him all the way down the body. It was pretty messy.

Gerald 02-24-2016 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawl79 (Post 787609)
I keep a couple grim reapers in my quiver for hunting in water but I am a big fan of the Ramcat broadhead.

I shoot 100grain ramcats (1 3/8") but I switch out the 100 grain blades for the 125 grain blades (1 1/2") cut and fly's like a field point. Best part is no to very little broadhead tuning.

In the last 3 years have killed over 10 deer, 1 big boar and 1 bobcat with these broadheads. I had one doe this year that I gut shot that went a few hundred yards but let her sit about 6 hours and found her sitting in her bed too weak to get up. The rest have fell within 100 yards and most within sight.

If I were to try anything new would be the slick tricks. I just like a fixed blade although the mechanicals do some SERIOUS damage even on the some marginal shot placement.

Year before last I shot a bobcat that was facing me in the front shoulder with a ramcat. The broadhead sliced him all the way down the body. It was pretty messy.

Infraction......this term is not allow.....IMO.

Crawl79 02-24-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 787805)
Infraction......this term is not allow.....IMO.

Won't happen again. Main reason why I shoot these fixed broad heads.

duckman1911 02-24-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawl79 (Post 787836)
Won't happen again. Main reason why I shoot these fixed broad heads.

Haha I tune all of my broadheads. Can't say if it makes a difference because I do it before they are ever shot the first time.

Reggoh 02-25-2016 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 787874)
Haha I tune all of my broadheads. Can't say if it makes a difference because I do it before they are ever shot the first time.

I know how to tune my bow for shooting broadheads... how do you actually "tune" the broadhead before it is shot? I don't understand what you guys are talking about.

Mechanicals are 1 piece broadheads... most fixed blades are 1 piece or you put the blades in only 1 way...

There is nothing to "change" or "tune" on a broadhead that I'm aware of... Have I been missing something for the past 9 years??