SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Are some ducks showing up with the first front? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65825)

Quackhead62 10-24-2016 02:37 AM

Are some ducks showing up with the first front?

I had to fly out on Saturday morning to Africa for work so I didn't get a chance to get out to the marsh to see if some ducks have started to show up with the first good front of the year. Have any of you guys started seeing a ducks show up with this front around your leases??

all star rod 10-24-2016 06:57 AM

The guy that hunts to the West of me on the farm I hunt on South of Kaplan went out there yesterday morning and told me we are covered in ducks. Mostly teal with a good number of big ducks. He said he also saw and heard some Specs flying over. We have a ton of Indigo in our field since it was not rice farmed in a few years. I cannot wait for NOV 12th. I will be heading that way later this week to get our pond buffaloed again.

Quackhead62 10-24-2016 07:15 AM

I was hoping to hear some reports like that, My Dad and some of the other guys in our lease went pull some boats in the marsh the day I left, I haven't got a report from them yet as to what the duck nunbers are looking like in the Boston yet. I'm sure a decent number of ducks got pushed down. Hopefully we get a few more good cold front before Nov 12. I'd sure like to shoot a few big ducks with some teal mixed in on opening day. I'm ready when I get back I have to go into work for a few days then I'm going on a deer hunt then it will be time to shoot some ducks.

Jcredeur 10-24-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 810275)
The guy that hunts to the West of me on the farm I hunt on South of Kaplan went out there yesterday morning and told me we are covered in ducks. Mostly teal with a good number of big ducks. He said he also saw and heard some Specs flying over. We have a ton of Indigo in our field since it was not rice farmed in a few years. I cannot wait for NOV 12th. I will be heading that way later this week to get our pond buffaloed again.

Man I thought I was crazy the other morning when I went outside before daybreak and could have sworn I heard some geese... I live just north of 14 in Nunez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgoods17 10-24-2016 09:17 AM

good numbers of geese here already. just hope they stay and get cozy.

B-Stealth 10-24-2016 09:37 AM

Saw a good body of geese last weekend by the lease. We set out a few dozen full bodies and a couple hundread rags to pull them on our lease.

Quackhead62 10-24-2016 11:30 AM

Aweome news guys souds like the making of a good opening weekend. I'm hoping they find my lease and get good and comfortable. It's the best our marsh has looked in a long time.

rardoin 10-24-2016 12:05 PM

Two groups of Specks spotted Saturday morning at Eunice Rifle and Gun Club range.

speck-addict 10-24-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 810285)
Saw a good body of geese last weekend by the lease. We set out a few dozen full bodies and a couple hundread rags to pull them on our lease.

Why would you wanna educate birds 2 weeks before the season? That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

B-Stealth 10-24-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speck-addict (Post 810302)
Why would you wanna educate birds 2 weeks before the season? That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I'm not educating the birds, I'm conditioning them to come into the decoys and my field without anyone shooting them. The birds imprint my field as a "safe" zone, and it will be until they get popped.

cmcnabb 10-24-2016 02:46 PM

You can't be serious

DaPointIsDaBomb 10-24-2016 02:59 PM

A handful on Fausse pointe but not in any numbers yet. The shad are really starting to school and seeing big balls of them so there will be plenty of food when the ducks do show up

DaPointIsDaBomb 10-24-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speck-addict (Post 810302)

Y'all don't leave your duck decoys out during the split? Same thing. We put our decoys out in October to get them used to them. Pick them up end of March so that the ducks migrating back north will remember us

C-Bass2mouth 10-24-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 810303)
I'm not educating the birds, I'm conditioning them to come into the decoys and my field without anyone shooting them. The birds imprint my field as a "safe" zone, and it will be until they get popped.

He's swimming with it bruh... set the hook

tboy 10-24-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth (Post 810317)
He's swimming with it bruh... set the hook

.....like a choupique on a blue worm!

Top Dawg 10-24-2016 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 810303)

Oughta try mojos on solar panels. Started doin that 3 yrs ago and it pays off. Start em a day before the first good front and let em run thru the season. Pull a lot of night migrators during the full moons.

B-Stealth 10-24-2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 810327)
Oughta try mojos on solar panels. Started doin that 3 yrs ago and it pays off. Start em a day before the first good front and let em run thru the season. Pull a lot of night migrators during the full moons.

I will have to try that out. This year we made an e-caller that runs on solar. It plays @ set times during day and @ night with full moon. The geese pile in, but we have to turn it off the week before season starts.

Top Dawg 10-24-2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 810329)
I will have to try that out. This year we made an e-caller that runs on solar. It plays @ set times during day and @ night with full moon. The geese pile in, but we have to turn it off the week before season starts.

Another lil secret The secret is out boys http://wildwinginnovations.com/

wfastabend 10-24-2016 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 810285)

Please tell me you are joking.

ahlangle 10-25-2016 06:23 AM

Flight sucks spent night on farm in shreveport (off red river). Two groups of 60+ each, stayed out on a hole we rarely see ducks on, left next day.

Also since some of y'all may know, when is the best time to put water on your duck fields (if in rice, cut rice, millet, etc)? Place in question is NE LA and I'd think at least two weeks prior to season!