SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Electronics/wiring Issue (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20135)

drjay 06-24-2011 10:58 PM

Electronics/wiring Issue

Looking for some electronics help. My GPS/sounder is wired to my accessory panel which is wired to my starter battery. Works fine when on and running. Turn the motor off and the GpS stays on. But, when I turn the key to re-start the motor, the accessory panel switch cuts out when I turn the key and comes back on as soon as the motor is started. The problem is the GPS cuts out and I have to turn it back on and wait for the satellites to find me. Every time we stop. Pain in the rear. Any ideas?

iron man 06-24-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjay (Post 275647)
Looking for some electronics help. My GPS/sounder is wired to my accessory panel which is wired to my starter battery. Works fine when on and running. Turn the motor off and the GpS stays on. But, when I turn the key to re-start the motor, the accessory panel switch cuts out when I turn the key and comes back on as soon as the motor is started. The problem is the GPS cuts out and I have to turn it back on and wait for the satellites to find me. Every time we stop. Pain in the rear. Any ideas?

Yeah, hook it right onto the starter battery.

Tex Dawg 06-24-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron man (Post 275662)
Yeah, hook it right onto the starter battery.

x2 and dont forget to put an inline fuse on it.

iron man 06-24-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex Dawg (Post 275665)
x2 and dont forget to put an inline fuse on it.

Yeah that too. :D

LPfishnTIM 06-24-2011 11:49 PM

route an alternate switch with inline fuse straight to battery. if it does the same thing after re wiring it, then you have a battery issue.

Shawn Braquet 06-25-2011 07:51 AM

Do yourself and check/clean ALL connections associated with the gps(switch, fuse panel, battery terminals, and especially grounds). Use some type of conductive grease ie no ox, no alox, something of this nature. If it has worked properly in the past then you have a connection problem.

Sea-Trac Offshore 06-25-2011 08:08 AM

If you never had a problem before and now it started its usually bad connection at terminal or inline fuse.
On many boats the lead from the battery or battery switch is too small and the sudden load just kills things at the dash. I would check connections and clean or redo them or connect it directly to the battery
In just about every manual they tell ya to shut down when starting the motor as the sudden load can kill the gps.

Dink 06-25-2011 08:24 AM

You should gave a bank That stays hot all the time......maybe the bank That the lights come off of?? Just remember to turn your unit off when you head home

booyagasha 06-25-2011 08:37 AM

hm....im thinking this maybe the problem to my bilges/switch gauge panel. Was working prior to previous outing, and now all the switches don't work, yet fuses still good.

question,on a 2 batteries system, which battery(1/2)is the house battery and which is the other?Both battery has power, im thinking either a connection/short leading to the fuse block behind the panel? test light will be done monday/tuesday

weedeater 06-25-2011 08:41 AM

make sure batteries are strong and no dead cells and check your connections at batteries, it may be just weak at the post and shutin ddown dash to power motor

Shawn Braquet 06-25-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booyagasha (Post 275717)
hm....im thinking this maybe the problem to my bilges/switch gauge panel. Was working prior to previous outing, and now all the switches don't work, yet fuses still good.

question,on a 2 batteries system, which battery(1/2)is the house battery and which is the other?Both battery has power, im thinking either a connection/short leading to the fuse block behind the panel? test light will be done monday/tuesday

have to trace your wires back for the easiest way

booyagasha 06-25-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet (Post 275728)
have to trace your wires back for the easiest way

it has to be, the motor gets power on either 1/2/both ----well im hoping it is

Shawn Braquet 06-25-2011 10:08 AM

do you have a 24v trolling motor? if you have a 12v trolling motor chances are one battery is for the trolling motor and the other is for the outboard/electronics. Normally have a decent size wire feeding a fuse panel then from the fuse panel to the instrument switches, then to the device (ideally that is) should give you a little insight.

speck-chaser 06-25-2011 10:25 AM

battery may be getting weak, check your voltage of the battery and see if it drops significantly when you turn over your motor.

booyagasha 06-25-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet (Post 275735)
do you have a 24v trolling motor? if you have a 12v trolling motor chances are one battery is for the trolling motor and the other is for the outboard/electronics. Normally have a decent size wire feeding a fuse panel then from the fuse panel to the instrument switches, then to the device (ideally that is) should give you a little insight.

no trolling motor

Sea-Trac Offshore 06-25-2011 10:49 AM

If switches are not getting power, check loose ground as well. A loose ground will start all kinds of headaches.

Shawn Braquet 06-25-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southshore Marine (Post 275743)
If switches are not getting power, check loose ground as well. A loose ground will start all kinds of headaches.

X2 dc voltages like their grounds like 2 peas in a pod

weedeater 06-25-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booyagasha (Post 275739)
no trolling motor

:eek: No trollin motor, that thing got a t-top:D....sorry couldnt pass it up. I aint real sure about boat electronics but i know if a battery is weak or dead cell crankin can pull you down enuff to reset your other electronics

drjay 06-25-2011 01:25 PM

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm not sure why, but the whole accessory panel cuts off when you turn the ignition key. I just pulled the GPS power from the accessory panel and ran it directly to the battery with an inline fuse. Problem solved. Took 5 minutes.

booyagasha 06-25-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 275767)
:eek: No trollin motor, that thing got a t-top:D....sorry couldnt pass it up. I aint real sure about boat electronics but i know if a battery is weak or dead cell crankin can pull you down enuff to reset your other electronics

damn, that's a first for me...funny thing is i go look under neath and notice a burnt 5 amp spade fuse for something i couldn't read. (you know how hard it is just to find a 5 amp fuse --not in a jumbo pack on father's day---because we were planning on taking it out that day.) so i find some at good ole autzone, went home and replace---lo and behold, the vhf--(what we originally thought the burnt fuse was for.)and...the bilges, horn, nothing on the panel works....gauges do ...so we trash the boating for father's day due to bilges not working.....im going to look and hope it's a bad battery/ hoping even more for a loose connection