SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Freshwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Arkansas float trips (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63802)

C-Bass2mouth 04-14-2016 10:18 AM

Arkansas float trips

Has anyone ever done a float trip on any Arkansas rivers? Looking to do one at the end of May to catch smallmouth. I'm planning on camping two nights at least and bringing my own yak. A buddy that's coming has done a 5 day before on the Buffalo river, but other than his opinion and everything I've read online, that's all I know. Right now it's between the Buffalo and the Kings river.

eman 04-14-2016 04:00 PM

we used to canoe and camp the buffalo caught many good small mouth. have not been in years .used to have outfitters that rented canoes and did drop off and pick up. bring a real good sleeping pad or a hammock. The so called sand bars you camp on are rocks the size of base balls. Do some research on the ponca to pruit area.

C-Bass2mouth 04-14-2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 792531)
we used to canoe and camp the buffalo caught many good small mouth. have not been in years .used to have outfitters that rented canoes and did drop off and pick up. bring a real good sleeping pad or a hammock. The so called sand bars you camp on are rocks the size of base balls. Do some research on the ponca to pruit area.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Gerald 04-14-2016 11:03 PM

Made a 2 night trip on the Buffalo river about 25 years ago. There are campground along the river to stay at.

I don't remember exactly what part of the river we were on. But I did do a little fishing along the way. The best area was right where the Boy Scout camp is located. I caught 5 or 6 small mouths as we drifted the area maybe 100 yards long. I really wish I could had stopped there for a little longer.

Wood 04-15-2016 07:20 AM

Haven't been on a float trip, but the Buffalo is beautiful around Ponca. Tent camped at Lost Valley campgrounds a few summers back for some hiking and sightseeing. Pretty sure there are a few outfits that area offer drop off/pick up for rentals or if you bring your own yak/canoe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wood 04-15-2016 08:57 AM

Pretty cool being able to see elk every evening along the river too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Duck Butter 04-15-2016 09:09 AM

Buffalo is much more scenic, but Caddo River is a little closer and its full of smallmouth as well. We canoe it every year and bring ultralights for smallmouth. The canoe companies on both rivers will drop you off upstream and pick you up. You can go a little further north and do the Buffalo for smallmouth and the White/Norfork Rivers for trout also.

C-Bass2mouth 04-21-2016 09:18 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. We ended up deciding on Kings River.

BassAssasin 04-21-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth (Post 793025)
Thanks for everyone's input. We ended up deciding on Kings River.

let us know how it goes. Im very interested in trying some arkansas rivers

C-Bass2mouth 04-21-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassAssasin (Post 793033)
let us know how it goes. Im very interested in trying some arkansas rivers

Will do. Won't be until the last weekend of May.