SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is big lake done? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69048)

redaddiction 02-16-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 846914)
And ship traffic is only going to get worse.

These new LNG companies need to foot the bill for rocking up the ship channel. That should have been a requirement for getting their permits and approvals from the state.

Jrchip1 02-16-2019 03:44 PM

4-6 ft. waves from "Work Boats" at full steam, are very damaging (and dangerous to affected smaller craft), yet most Boat Skippers and their Employers, don't "give a hoot". "Point A" to "Point B", in the least amount of time, is what it's all about (but yet they have safety meetings all da time..., and mumble that everyone has the "Stop Work Authority"). Need more rocks everywhere there is boat traffic. More money is spent on dredging canals for Commercial Boat Traffic, and Oysters, than for "real" Coastal Protection.

Bumfisherman 02-19-2019 07:33 AM

And now believe it or not they are trying to make Cameron parish residents property tax dollars take over maintenance and dredging of the ship channel. The channel does generate a lot of money but I bet 95% of it comes from industry north of Cameron parish. Please vote against it!

DaPointIsDaBomb 02-19-2019 08:21 AM

Been going downhill since they lowered the limit to 15, that is the main reason

jopete 02-19-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 846997)

that is exactly what I was thinking. lol:work:

Xpress21 02-19-2019 11:14 PM

When’s the last time government hasn’t messed something up...

ckinchen 02-20-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redaddiction (Post 846930)
These new LNG companies need to foot the bill for rocking up the ship channel. That should have been a requirement for getting their permits and approvals from the state.

That sir is an excellent point. The lng companies do not even pay fair market value property taxes they just build the community a new center or softball field when asked so everyone feels like they are such a blessing.

MEM1971 02-20-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainy_day (Post 846772)
I can remember Grand Bayou winding thru a beautifull marsh. With carpet of pink eyes moving out of the marsh. I can remember dragging a trawl in big lake and catching hundreds of pounds of shrimp. Then we get the weirs you can't catch a dozen shrimp in an hour. I know the duck hunters love the weirs for the weigeon grass ect.
But we had more ducks then in that marsh than I've seen in a decade of the weirs. Engineers will never be God. Let the marsh be.
Where exactly are you getting all these facts I'd like to look at them myself.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back in the early 90s as a kid I can remember going out to the Pryors camp out there by the public wharf and walk out in the water with a dip net and scoop up shrimp!!! Now it wasn't that way everyday but when we knew they were there that's all it took!!

MEM1971 02-20-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopete (Post 847017)
that is exactly what I was thinking. lol:work:

That is very hard to argue with!!

Top Dawg 02-21-2019 07:27 AM

Place has been a garhole. I blame it on the Texans.

ahlangle 02-21-2019 08:04 PM

Interesting stuff on this one.
One thought I had was about property value on the water: why are camps listing at $200+/sqft on the lake if things are as bad as people say? Is there a govt aspect preventing any more waterfront property from being allowed for homes? Just absolutely asinine listing prices for camps at Big Lake and when people say it is because the LNG companies, I don?t see how that affects it (a guy working on building those facilities is not likely to buy a $600,000 Camp on the lake, nor is an owner of a camp ?valued? at that price going to rent it out). What is the deal?!

Feesherman 02-22-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahlangle (Post 847060)
One thought I had was about property value on the water: why are camps listing at $200+/sqft on the lake if things are as bad as people say? Is there a govt aspect preventing any more waterfront property from being allowed for homes? Just absolutely asinine listing prices for camps at Big Lake and when people say it is because the LNG companies, I don?t see how that affects it (a guy working on building those facilities is not likely to buy a $600,000 Camp on the lake, nor is an owner of a camp ?valued? at that price going to rent it out). What is the deal?!

Ain't got nuttin to do wit fishin. Same thing is happenin on Goss Ferry Rd. Nobody on Goss Ferry Rd payin dat kinda money cause da fishin is so good. Most of em don't even fish

MathGeek 02-22-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 847045)
Place has been a garhole. I blame it on the Texans.

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. We had a great time with the big gar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrcvjXPYrfQ

But there were still plenty of redfish and other fun stuff. Learn how to love what the day provides if you can't find the trout.

MathGeek 02-22-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahlangle (Post 847060)

Capitalism works. Supply and demand. My brother owns multiple properties in Cameron, and they are bringing in top dollar. Other than staying with my bro, we can't afford space down there for fishing trips. In the next year, it's looking like rentals at Grand Isle are cheaper than the Big Lake area.

But frankly, we'd prefer Cameron. Fishing has always been better, even though 2018, and we expect that to continue for many years.

ahlangle 02-22-2019 11:40 PM

So what are you saying

Xpress21 02-23-2019 12:39 AM

Come again

Bumfisherman 02-23-2019 08:33 AM

I am in the process of building a new home now on the water in Hackberry. The building codes after the hurricanes have driven up construction costs astronomically. These costs have nothing to do with LNG?s. The demand for housing due to the LNG construction has caused rental rate increases and workers have made leases on camps that were historically fishing camps rented by the weekend. The reason for high prices on vacation type rentals has a lot to do with rising property tax rates and insurance costs. If you pay cash for a $500,000 camp the taxes, insurance, maintenance, and utilities can easily cost $1,500 per month.

ahlangle 02-23-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumfisherman (Post 847107)
I am in the process of building a new home now on the water in Hackberry. The building codes after the hurricanes have driven up construction costs astronomically. These costs have nothing to do with LNG?s. The demand for housing due to the LNG construction has caused rental rate increases and workers have made leases on camps that were historically fishing camps rented by the weekend. The reason for high prices on vacation type rentals has a lot to do with rising property tax rates and insurance costs. If you pay cash for a $500,000 camp the taxes, insurance, maintenance, and utilities can easily cost $1,500 per month.

Good to know thank you for the info

schol 02-25-2019 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 846997)

Explain the rationale behind this.

MathGeek 02-26-2019 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schol (Post 847169)
Explain the rationale behind this.

The gist of the rationale is that with lower limits, there were too many small trout in the lake eating too much of the available food, so fewer fish would have enough to eat to be fat and grow fast enough to become true trophies.

For trout to get really big, they have to grow fast, which means there can't be more fish in the lake than the lake can support (carrying capacity).

Conserving ample forage is key for producing trophies in species that don't live a long, long time. Conserving lots and lots of 12-15" trout can be counter productive to conserving ample forage.