SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lease land SW Louisiana (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38358)

Goooh 11-16-2012 08:35 AM

Lease land SW Louisiana

What's the best way to find where land is up for lease for duck hunting without having to hang out in the local outfitters and putting in tons of face time? Does Miami corp and other places like that post auctions/lease listings?

Any advice helps a lot, I know anything worth having doesn't come up in the classifieds... I'm partial to rice fields from Crowley west, but would not mind something in the marsh that I can get to by either 4 wheeler or boat with outboard (no mud motor).

Pm me with any pointers

Spunt Drag 11-16-2012 08:44 AM

Good luck. But it's not just classifieds, anything that comes available is not worth having. Sure you might smoke em in teal season and kill your limit opening day but its crickets after that. And all that after you paid 5k for it. The ones that are good, are taken. And the ones that are great, are bought out from underneath the people that had it. It's become outrageous. I can pm you the number to Miami corp. but I've called 4 years in a row and never even got a response.

Goooh 11-16-2012 08:52 AM

So am I better off sellin my outboard and slapping a mud motor on it, then hunting from laccassine to pointe aux chenes? What public area has the best potential for consistent production?

bgizzle 11-16-2012 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I may have a mud motor slash 16 flat setup for sale in a month or 2. Runs great just putting lights in it and painting it then ill prolly sell it for about the same you'll pay for a motorAttachment 42850

Goooh 11-16-2012 09:00 AM

About the same as a 16 vanguard or a 35 gator tail? Lol

bgizzle 11-16-2012 09:06 AM

Ill prolly sell it for 5500 or 6

Spunt Drag 11-16-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 517558)
So am I better off sellin my outboard and slapping a mud motor on it, then hunting from laccassine to pointe aux chenes? What public area has the best potential for consistent production?

If you wanna hunt public, you'll need your outboard.

simplepeddler 11-16-2012 09:13 AM

I think the best way to these days is small.......
Hunt the public land with and outboard/flatboat and a pirogue........

Goooh 11-16-2012 09:20 AM

Any public land down around PI? Or is that all lease?

I've been spoiled to rice fields between Crowley and Kaplan, trying to diversify because our spot is all speck land now - we don't hold water anymore with the way they plant rice now.. No offense to the specks, they are fun, but I can't live without duck hunting

Raymond 11-16-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 517570)
Any public land down around PI? Or is that all lease?

I've been spoiled to rice fields between Crowley and Kaplan, trying to diversify because our spot is all speck land now - we don't hold water anymore with the way they plant rice now.. No offense to the specks, they are fun, but I can't live without duck hunting

The only public land in South Louisiana is the refuge system!

Any other land is either M. O. Miller Estate, Vermilion Corp, Miami Corp,Parish School Board, or private landowner.

How long have you lived in Louisiana?????????????????????????:rolleyes:

Goooh 11-16-2012 12:14 PM

27 years, never had to use the refuge system or look for a place to hunt - is that okay with you?

Mr T 11-20-2012 03:38 PM

Technically SW Louisiana has only the refuges, but SE Louisiana has a handful of WMAs which have public duck hunting options and decent hunting.

Ray 11-20-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 517659)

Any other land is either M. O. Miller Estate, Vermilion Corp, Miami Corp,Parish School Board, or private landowner.

Mermentau Mineral Inc.

Lake Chuck Duck 11-20-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 517659)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 519273)
Mermentau Mineral Inc.

Sweetlake land and oil:rolleyes:

papap 11-20-2012 07:52 PM

Dixie rice

mequain 11-20-2012 08:45 PM

How do you get in touch with these companies to see if they have land available to lease?

cmcnabb 11-20-2012 08:47 PM

Call offices and ask. But I'm sure every place has a waiting list a mile long

mequain 11-20-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcnabb (Post 519433)
Call offices and ask. But I'm sure every place has a waiting list a mile long

I'm sure you are right. I think I will call and ask anyway. Thanks

Top Dawg 11-20-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck (Post 519301)
Sweetlake land and oil:rolleyes:

Didn't sweet lake land and oil stop leasing out land for hunting. I think the ones that were already leased but I don't think they lease any new stuff. I could be way off

Goooh 11-21-2012 05:46 AM

Even if the list is a mile long, you can't win it if you ain't in it...