SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Gumbo Throw Down (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56312)

duckman1911 09-19-2014 08:56 PM

Gumbo Throw Down

Since interest is building I thought I would throw this out.
Preliminary ideas. Looking for input from anyone considering this. Please..

1. Solo effort or helper/teams allowed? If so should helper/team members be required to pay a full or partial entry fee?
2. Fowl based gumbo(chicken, duck, turkey, etc). No seafood.
3. Meat, veggies, and stock can be prepped before hand. Again no seafood.
4. All other cooking must be done on site.
5. Roux cannot come from a jar. Must be cooked on site by you.
6. $20 entry fee.
7. Minimum amount of gumbo per contestant or just do what you are comfortable with? Consider this one carefully as it may be our downfall. See below thought.
8. Judges pick top 3 gumbos and peoples choice(via ticket sales) determine 1st, 2cnd, 3rd places. Cook a small gumbo and you may be the best but screw yourself by running out and lacking sales.
9. February and Laffeyette seem realistic to everyone?

Working on a supplier for everyones cups.
Looking for input from you guys.

SigNate 09-19-2014 10:20 PM

What about the trophy? Lol....
In my K of C council we had one or two gumbo cook-offs before I came up with the idea to make a trophy that is passed one year to the next to for that year's winner. It is a gold cast iron pot that sits on a base with brass plaques and each year the newest winner's name is engraved onto one of the brass name plaques.

We could do something similar with a gold spoon maybe or even a cast iron pot. It makes for an interesting bragging conversation piece.

simplepeddler 09-19-2014 10:31 PM

The Destin fishing Museum does this once a year........not sure how to get the details but they do a good job.......

they actually allow you to cook whatever, where ever.......show up and it's all public vote........run out and not enough peeps have a shot at tasting your grub.......

three hours to vote......

Could be a nice little SC sponsored fund raiser

duckman1911 09-20-2014 07:29 AM

Used to do event similar to this for the Red Cross. Tickets were $1 and a ticket would get you a cup of gumbo. Several times I saw people leave and go home and get a big bowl and come back. It was a lot of fun.
As far as a trophy I haven't got that far yet. My dad said he would give a 1/2 gln of Woodford Reseve for the winner. Will go from there.

Ragin_Cajun 09-20-2014 08:14 AM

All I can base it on is the Gumbo Cookoff in New Iberia. They had a gumbo cop come by and check your set up and food to insure no jar roux.

I am for the winter months....it always makes gumbo a bit better.

We also need to come up with a "name" to put on the trophy. I have some ideas I am working on and I also need to talk to another business owner here in Broussard. If it works out, you guys will not be disappointed.

I would vote for group/team. The more involved, the better.

RC

SigNate 09-20-2014 08:37 AM

Are y'all going to make me break out the big pot?

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...ticfrog005.jpg

mr crab 09-20-2014 08:42 AM

^^^^^^ thangs just got real^^^...sig gettin serious

mr crab 09-20-2014 08:45 AM

Need a rule about how close the cook teams can set up next to each other. Don't want them la boys (especially Dink) jockin my style

mr crab 09-20-2014 08:55 AM

That's ok....i just planted basil, thyme, and green onions. Going to buy Guineas and a piglet to slaughter in feb. What y'all know bout fresh sausage and smoked guinea hen gumbo?

SigNate 09-20-2014 09:33 AM

Can we serve sides like baked sweet potatoes or potato salad? Mmmmm........ Lol.......

mriguy 09-20-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr crab (Post 721148)
That's ok....i just planted basil, thyme, and green onions. Going to buy Guineas and a piglet to slaughter in feb. What y'all know bout fresh sausage and smoked guinea hen gumbo?

Smoked guinea gumbo sounds like a winner to me

duckman1911 09-20-2014 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did someone say fresh sausage? How fresh ya talkin?

eman 09-20-2014 10:49 AM

If you want a real gumbo contest. do it like the jambalaya contest. Everyone starts w/ the same meat, veggie, rice. Only thing you can use different is seasonings and talent. decide before hand on roux. either jar or made or just made.

mr crab 09-20-2014 10:51 AM

Dang duck...you get that hog this morning? Jealous...I'm stuck inside this chemical plant till 3

mr crab 09-20-2014 10:52 AM

Eman...stop...this texan needs any advantage i can get

eman 09-20-2014 10:57 AM

As for the trophy , why not an aluminum stirring paddle engraved w/ the winners name and the date. pass it on each year???

duckman1911 09-20-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr crab (Post 721164)
Dang duck...you get that hog this morning? Jealous...I'm stuck inside this chemical plant till 3

There was three in my buddies trap this morning. He took one and gave me the other two. He's given me three in the last two weeks. They keep tearing up his dang garden.

mr crab 09-20-2014 11:01 AM

Sweet. Looks like you have a head start on the sausage for your gumbo

duckman1911 09-20-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 721163)
If you want a real gumbo contest. do it like the jambalaya contest. Everyone starts w/ the same meat, veggie, rice. Only thing you can use different is seasonings and talent. decide before hand on roux. either jar or made or just made.

I don't have that much talent.lol
Keep it fowl based. What type of bird is used is personal choice.

duckman1911 09-20-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 721166)
As for the trophy , why not an aluminum stirring paddle engraved w/ the winners name and the date. pass it on each year???

I like this