SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   steak recipe (ribeye or filet) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42887)

speck cc 04-10-2013 09:53 AM

steak recipe (ribeye or filet)

i'm very picky with my steaks (ribeye or filets)... most resturaunts let me down. i prep mine by marinating in soy, olive oil, and seasonings... for at least a day. then about 1 1/2 min ea side on the grill... searing burner on high. let sit for about 5-10 min then pig out.

i've been reading posts on this site for a while now and i'm sure there are some very "creative" steak recipes out there! i'm interested!

BIG RED 1983 04-10-2013 10:35 AM

Let the steaks marinate in allegro marinade for a day before cooking sprinkle a little kosher salt and coarse black pepper on both sides then cook in a black iron skillet 2 min on each side then put in oven 400 deg for 3 min on each side take out and let rest for 5 min

SaltERedneck 04-10-2013 10:37 AM

I have always marinated mine in italian dressing or dales.... any choice of seasoning. sear (sp?) on both sides then cook for 3-5 min.

breambuster 04-10-2013 11:10 AM

Soy sauce and Dale's.... Cant beat it

swamp snorkler 04-10-2013 11:14 AM

The less you do with it the better, get a good steak with some nice marbling, olive oil, fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt.

Look up Alton Browns method on Youtube.

SigNate 04-10-2013 11:33 AM

Kosher salt and black pepper on a real hot charcoal grill!

mriguy 04-10-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 569246)
The less you do with it the better, get a good steak with some nice marbling, olive oil, fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt.

I agree with this 100%

Big Kahunaz 04-10-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

X2 but I add a hint of cayenne and garlic powder the. Sear it 1.5 min on each side high heat

BayBolt23 04-10-2013 12:22 PM

What's up with the olive oil?

Goooh 04-10-2013 12:39 PM

1 - on both sides i salt and pepper the meat, cover in powdered mustard then wet with louisiana gold (a good bit). Sear it nice and crispy and cook to your liking.

Nice crispy outside with a great spice, but not nearly overpowering and the juicy ribeye flavor on the inside....

2 - season the meat with whatever, then soak it in ranch in a ziplock in the fridge. Grill like above

To me, a lot of marinade and such defeats the purpose of eating a ribeye. These recipes make a flavorful sear and preserve the juice and ribeye allure inside.

I also rotate 90 degrees during grilling to make some good looking, cross hatched grill marks.

swamp snorkler 04-10-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayBolt23 (Post 569276)
What's up with the olive oil?

I seen Alton Brown do it, I tried it and I've done it that way ever since. IMO it really can't be beat.

meaux fishing 04-10-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

:amen:

Black iron skillet on the stove with rendered beef fat, salt, and pepper.

Armand16 04-10-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 569324)
:amen:

Black iron skillet on the stove with rendered beef fat, salt, and pepper.

When are y'all going to be in the oil center again?

PotLikinisAhabbit 04-10-2013 03:41 PM

you ruin a steak if you do anything to it other than age it,salt, pepper, and then sear it and cook for a little as possible IMO
High quality beef needs to taste like beef.

PotLikinisAhabbit 04-10-2013 03:43 PM

the olive oil helps to evenly distribute the heat when cooking is the reason i believe it is used

swamp snorkler 04-10-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit (Post 569353)
you ruin a steak if you do anything to it other than age it,salt, pepper, and then sear it and cook for a little as possible IMO

Couldn't agree more, you want a steak to taste like a-1, eat a hamburger steak and save yourslef a few dollars.

I'd rather eat a bull red than a steak marinated in anything.

Matt G 04-10-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit (Post 569353)

^This. A ribeye doesn't need anything fancy on it. Keep it simple and cook it to a nice medium rare. Overcook a steak and your better off eating the plate it's served on.

OhSoEasy 04-10-2013 04:05 PM

Go to Heberts in Maurice and get you a steak. Marinade it in a little Italian dressing and Prudhommes pizza and pasta seasoning and grill it.

bjhooper82 04-10-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 569361)
^This. A ribeye doesn't need anything fancy on it. Keep it simple and cook it to a nice medium rare. Overcook a steak and your better off eating the plate it's served on.

Agreed!!

southern151 04-10-2013 04:31 PM

A little pepper, some Head Country seasoning (light on seasoning) and, some charcoal.

Growing up in cattle country, to marinate a steak was like asking for steak sauce at the table...Completely tabboo! LOL!