SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Freshwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Catfishing off the bank (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68036)

red robin 01-03-2018 08:55 PM

Catfishing off the bank

Went catfishing this evening off the bank with chicken livers and caught this messhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...988ebe61dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishalot 01-04-2018 10:05 AM

That's what I'm talking about. Nice mess!

FF_T_Warren 01-04-2018 10:16 AM

Nice haul sir!! Where at? May have to go hit the river by the house if that’s how things are going.

tonyjohn 01-04-2018 12:43 PM

Dang , makes me catfish hungry !

red robin 01-04-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 830821)
Nice haul sir!! Where at? May have to go hit the river by the house if that?s how things are going.

caught them by the intracoastal canat by cypermort point. had a 24#. 16#,2-12#,7#and a 3# two and a half hours fishing,hooked two others and lost them at the net,when its cold they bite!

FF_T_Warren 01-04-2018 02:17 PM

That’s awesome man. I don’t ever go catfishing but I may start cuz I don’t have time to run south right now. Nor do I have the drive with these cold temps

Matt G 01-04-2018 04:52 PM

Hell of a haul! I started running jug lines at the tail end of duck season last year when it got real slow and had some great trips. I tried in the summer time and had nothing but garfish. Maybe cold weather is the key. I may have to put together some new noodles.

duckman1911 01-04-2018 07:39 PM

That is nice man. I have never figured out the chicken liver trick. I can't get it to stay on a hook long enough to do any good. If you are your friends kill any hogs get the heart, liver and kidneys. A lot tougher and stay on the hook. Not that i'm giving advice because it appears you have it figured out. Gonna be some fine eating. Great catch.

duckman1911 01-04-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 830847)
Hell of a haul! I started running jug lines at the tail end of duck season last year when it got real slow and had some great trips. I tried in the summer time and had nothing but garfish. Maybe cold weather is the key. I may have to put together some new noodles.

You can have mine. I'm tired of loosing hooks in these stumpy *** lakes I have here.

Smalls 01-04-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red robin (Post 830809)
Went catfishing this evening off the bank with chicken livers and caught this messhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...988ebe61dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice haul!! How do you get the liver to stay on the hook? I've never had luck with liver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

red robin 01-04-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls (Post 830854)
Nice haul!! How do you get the liver to stay on the hook? I've never had luck with liver.

when you take a piece of liver out the cup it usually comes in to pieces with a small strip of liver holding the two together,cut that strip and the one big piece becomes two pieces,take one piece and look at it and you will notice in one spot there are some veins were the liver is tougher,pass your hook through that area then weave the rest on the hook,best reels are spinning reels with 17#test mono. Iuse a half oz. weight and when you cast,don't whip it out,I like to make underhand cast and don't have any trouble,also I like to fish a Carolina rig,liver works good when it's cold, it stays firn,I also prefer to fish it in canals or lakes with little or no current, I have used it in the river and caught but prefer slow tidal current or no current,most important,buy good fresh liver that is solid not mushy.

Matt G 01-05-2018 11:56 AM

I've had good luck with gizzard. Zero issues with it not lasting like when using liver.

Feesherman 01-05-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 830879)
I've had good luck with gizzard. Zero issues with it not lasting like when using liver.

Chicken hearts work well to.

Matt G 01-05-2018 04:32 PM

I might have to give that hearts next time. I love gizzards and it tears me up to use it as bait and not fry them!

Thanks for the offer duckman. If I'm ever around your end of the state, I'll hit you up.

Feesherman 01-05-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 830890)
I might have to give that hearts next time. I love gizzards and it tears me up to use it as bait and not fry them!

Thanks for the offer duckman. If I'm ever around your end of the state, I'll hit you up.

We used to buy 5lb box of hearts from poultry plant for like 8 bucks. We were runnin a 100 jugs too tho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Matt G 01-05-2018 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had 3 pool noodles at the house. Used them to throw these together after work this afternoon. I may try for catfish instead of ducks this weekend.

Attachment 129197

Smalls 01-07-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red robin (Post 830863)
when you take a piece of liver out the cup it usually comes in to pieces with a small strip of liver holding the two together,cut that strip and the one big piece becomes two pieces,take one piece and look at it and you will notice in one spot there are some veins were the liver is tougher,pass your hook through that area then weave the rest on the hook,best reels are spinning reels with 17#test mono. Iuse a half oz. weight and when you cast,don't whip it out,I like to make underhand cast and don't have any trouble,also I like to fish a Carolina rig,liver works good when it's cold, it stays firn,I also prefer to fish it in canals or lakes with little or no current, I have used it in the river and caught but prefer slow tidal current or no current,most important,buy good fresh liver that is solid not mushy.

Thanks for the "how-to". With all the bayous and lakes around here, I've always wanted to target cats but never really knew how. Anytime I've tried, I've always come up empty.

Only thing you left out was hook size...lol

red robin 01-08-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalls (Post 830960)
thanks for the "how-to". With all the bayous and lakes around here, i've always wanted to target cats but never really knew how. Anytime i've tried, i've always come up empty.

Only thing you left out was hook size...lol

sent from my samsung-sm-g920a using tapatalk

i use a no. 3,4,or 5 kale hook.