SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best Deer Sausage.. (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35054)

SULPHITE 08-15-2012 07:42 PM

B&O

nimbus73 08-16-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 478076)
B&O

I've been using B&O for several years now. I think Jeff Benoit does a fine job. I have been setting myself up though to make my own, does anyone have a good seasoning recipe they want to share?

swamp snorkler 08-16-2012 07:29 AM

I buy pork sausage from rouses and use deer meat to make stews, sauce picaunts and roast. Not that I don't like deer sausage but why use half you deer meat mixed with pork? I would rather eat a deer roast than a beef roast so I don't get sausage made anymore. My $.02 which I'm sure a lot of you will think I'm crazy.

Swlatiger 08-16-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 478245)
I buy pork sausage from rouses and use deer meat to make stews, sauce picaunts and roast. Not that I don't like deer sausage but why use half you deer meat mixed with pork? I would rather eat a deer roast than a beef roast so I don't get sausage made anymore. My $.02 which I'm sure a lot of you will think I'm crazy.

I agree with you but I also enjoy deer sausage. I use it instead of straight pork sausage.

lavocat 08-22-2012 10:54 AM

Give Kelly's Country Meat Block in Opelousas a try, damn good

meathauler 08-22-2012 11:42 AM

Nimbus you can tell B&O how much sausage you plan on making and they will sell you their seasoning

specktator 08-22-2012 12:17 PM

Leger in Port Barre makes the best I have tasted but he makes you debone your meat before you bring it to him.

Bass2222 08-22-2012 01:15 PM

We make our own now but use to get it all done at holliers. Their the best I found and they do each order separate so you know your getting your meat and not somebody else's.

Raymond 08-22-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meathauler (Post 481508)
Nimbus you can tell B&O how much sausage you plan on making and they will sell you their seasoning

Targill's in Opelousas can provide that information and also sell you the seasoning, targil.com. I have used Billideaux's on Fruge st and have been very pleased with the amount of smoke and quality of the finished product. I believe I payed $2.99 # vaccum packed.

Feesherman 08-22-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 481518)
Leger in Port Barre makes the best I have tasted but he makes you debone your meat before you bring it to him.

Most folks charge to debone. Since it takes less than 5 mins per quarter to debone I do it myself.

cduhon 08-22-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimbus73 (Post 478230)
I've been using B&O for several years now. I think Jeff Benoit does a fine job. I have been setting myself up though to make my own, does anyone have a good seasoning recipe they want to share?

Same as someone else said, B&O and Sausage Link both sell you their seasoning depending on how hot you want it. Just tell them how much sausage you making and they will weigh seasoning out for you. I mainly use Sausage Link seasoning and add to it

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

papap 08-22-2012 03:35 PM

Mine

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 477655)
He ruined close to two deer worth the meat that I had trimed out ....... not again.

Thats is why we started making our own about 10 years ago. I would make sure mine was really clean and trim. Went to pick up sausage and the gave me sausage and some back stap. They told me it was in chest with the meat I dropped out. I know damn well it was not mine. LOL

papap 08-22-2012 03:45 PM

Here is mine

20 lbs pork
13 lbs deer
2 oz paprika
6 oz salt
1 oz red pepper
1/2 oz black pepper
1 1/4 oz curing salt
2 cups water. Mix curing slat in this
30 oz sliced jalapeño

Curing slat only need if you are smoking it. I use hickory to smoke mine.