SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening & Farming Forum (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Fig season begins (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64673)

Cappy 06-25-2016 05:00 PM

Fig season begins

In honor of the beginning of fig season I wrote an article on how to pick them and can tehm along with 2 old fashioned Fig canning recipes. I was wondering is this how ya family did it?

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2...ng-season.html

Matt G 06-25-2016 07:45 PM

I'm jealous Cap. My little fig tree took a beating from all the rain. Almost all the leaves turned yellow then fell off. I'm worried I'll be replacing it before long.

wetaline 06-25-2016 07:48 PM

I really enjoyed your video!!! I have some frozen in my freezer and that just gave me the envie to get them out and make some more fig preserves and tarts!!

Cappy 06-25-2016 09:42 PM

hope ya tree makes it mat in my experience they are very hardy. glad yall enjoyed it and by all means try the ole fig recipe it will remind ya of ya grandma's

eman 06-26-2016 12:39 AM

If any one knows where i can pick figs on halves let me know. I need 5 gallons to make my moms fig preserves

saute86 06-26-2016 02:18 AM

Cappy I have been picking a bunch too. They are not as sweet as they usually are on a dry year. When I get tired of eating them I am going to try your recipe.

Cappy 06-26-2016 07:10 AM

Good luck on finding some E and saute you will not be disappointed of ya put some up.
The technique we use for canning is easy too. No water bath pressure cooker nothing just jars in the oven everything else on the stove and keep every thing hot.

simplepeddler 06-26-2016 08:19 AM

Great video.....just like maw maw did them here.......she had figs on saltines as a snack almost everyday

Cappy 06-26-2016 09:41 AM

I occasionally make a fig sammage a fold over with one slice of fresh bread.

saute86 06-26-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cappy (Post 799305)
Good luck on finding some E and saute you will not be disappointed of ya put some up.
The technique we use for canning is easy too. No water bath pressure cooker nothing just jars in the oven everything else on the stove and keep every thing hot.

My Maw-Maw use to preserve figs. She did it the same way but she would put lemon or orange rings around the inside edges of the jars before she added the figs. She processed hers in a water bath for 10 minutes and the rings were just as tasty. She wouldn't let us eat any till they sat a month.

Cappy 06-26-2016 10:22 AM

We use a splash of lemon juice in ours. Our citrus and figs aint ripe at the same time but we always have juice around.

simplepeddler 06-26-2016 10:55 AM

makes me think for sure with all the grand mother rememberances ...........they ate and enjoyed what they had.............

Now folks stare at the "menu" at McDonalds trying to figure out what they want.

The simplicity of my grangparents generation is enviable

Cappy 06-26-2016 09:08 PM

We got 12 figs in the house and added to the first 5 we picked more of course that didn't make it into the house.

rambored 06-28-2016 01:44 PM

thank you for your delightful story on Celeste figs. I have a big Celeste fig tree here in Little Rock, Ar. and it is LOADED this year. I lost it's sister last year to too much water! I put one of her branched under a brick, and cut the new sister loose this spring. The piece I cut off got stuck in a pot, and I have several new plants to give away! I planted a Brown Turkey Fig this spring, and it is coming along real well. It will have a few figs this year. I am looking forward to mixing Celeste and Brown Turkey. BTW I slice up a few Meyer lemon slices and cook them with my figs. My FUYU persimmon dropped all it's fruit except one this year. Maybe next year I will get a good harvest. The Keifer pears are young and only have a little fruit. The squirrels beat me to it last year, but I have a friend with a very old tree that makes all the pears I can can. I use a little ginger with my pears, and a little nutmeg. Yum on biscuits! Thanks again!

Cappy 06-28-2016 07:17 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. We got a big pan full today now a gallon full wont be long at this rate we will put up a batch of canned ones

duckman1911 06-29-2016 12:05 PM

Making me jealous. I have crap luck with fig trees. I love figs just can't get a tree to live. No figs for me but my dads wild plum tree is loaded this year so it will be jelly time before long.

Cappy 06-30-2016 06:16 AM

Dont give up man our lil fig tree been through hell even up rooted by a storm but we kept trying and now its nice healthy and pretty big. They hard to kill and keep coming up from the roots. Once it makes
it a couple 3 years in a row there aint no stopping it. We do fertilize it once a year but thats it. and its giving back.