SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Where are the Speckled Trout in Big Lake????? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68624)

Bownatic 07-02-2018 03:01 PM

Where are the Speckled Trout in Big Lake?????

What is going on with the Speckled Trout bite in Big Lake???? Have not heard or seen anyone catching very many so far this year. alot of Reds, but not many Specks.

i guess we gonna have to wait for the Fall Bite :spineyes::spineyes::spineyes:

Flex 07-02-2018 06:12 PM

They gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Catch 07-03-2018 09:08 AM

My thoughts

While I believe that habitat deteoriation - especially loss of oyster reefs - is a culprit, I also think there's a hydrological reason as well.

I live near the headwaters of the Calcasieu River. Over the last 3 years, we've had 5 rain events where we had 6+ inches of rain in 48 hours. Guess where all that water went?

Back in January we had one of those events. It rained nearly 7 inches while the temperature barely got above 40 degrees. That's a lot of extremely cold water that speckled trout cannot tolerate.

My guess is that these repeated rain events - especially this past winter - drive the bigger trout back into the Gulf. Where they are more susceptible to predation. Those that survive are slow to return back into the lake. Several iterations of this is not good.

Southern Sportsman 07-03-2018 11:48 AM

Catch, That sounds like one of the best theories that I heard yet

tojoe 07-03-2018 01:03 PM

Makes sense. I think there are many factors. Fewer oysters, fishing pressure, max slot established so late, and possibly too many guides.

Bownatic 07-08-2018 08:02 PM

Any updates on the speckled trout bite in big Lake lately?

Flex 07-08-2018 08:29 PM

Guides were starting to catch. But they just got hit with more rain. Maybe by august they'll be there.

MEM1971 07-09-2018 08:27 AM

I still think all the sediment being drained way up river is having some effect too. Calcasieu River at old town bay used to get so clear this time of year u could see 3-4 feet down! Right now u can see 3-4" maybe and it's been this way for many many years now.

tigerhead 07-12-2018 10:20 PM

It could be that between all the fresh water and the early heat, most of the fish have been pushed offshore to the near rigs or wherever. The high winds have kept bay boats out of the gulf until just recently, so how would you know the fish were there? I don't know what the answer is but I just don't want to believe the lake is in a severe decline.

murfdawg 07-16-2018 08:24 AM

For what it's worth, I have fished the rigs (near and offshore) without a single trout! Seems trash fish are everywhere.

marshrunner757 07-20-2018 05:02 PM

Don't worry. I saw on the new last night that they are expanding the Vincent reef. It will be full of fish before you know it! [emoji15] 🤣 🤣 🤣 Of coarse CCA has there banner waving proudly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Flex 07-20-2018 11:04 PM

Well, they definitely aren't under ellender bridge. So cross that off. Lots of gafftop though.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3a74c63bff.jpg

WorldWideSportsman87 07-22-2018 02:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing wrong with gaftop if you can put up with the slime. Lucky me my brothers are still at the age where they have a blast catching them as long as there's a couple reds mixed in.
Makes the fishing trips easier to put them on fish

Broke Down 07-22-2018 11:28 AM

Gaftops are excellent fry or gravy food. That looks like a fun day!