SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Paging Duckman; My GMC Has a Squeky Front End (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56131)

swamp snorkler 09-10-2014 06:07 AM

Paging Duckman; My GMC Has a Squeky Front End

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 97,000 Miles

I'm hearing a squeaking sound coming from the front end of my truck (that's where I think its coming from). @ 60,000 miles i changed out the upper control arms, they are greased. Any idea where this can be coming from? Wheel bearings? Shocks?

keakar 09-10-2014 08:09 AM

have you checked the sway bar big bushings? it sounds like they might be needing to be changed based on the age and miles.

my Silverado went about 85,000 miles before they got loose and started squeaking only when the truck bounces

daxt79 09-10-2014 08:14 AM

I changed my driver side wheel bearing out at 50k & changed my passenger side at 70k on an 05. If you jack the truck up to where your tires off the ground, grab the wheel on top & bottom, see if it has any play in it. If it does it's probably your wheel bearing. Although mine was more of a grinding noise than a squeak.

AubreyLaHaye458 09-10-2014 09:09 AM

Yeah, the wheel bearing won't squeak. It'll be a grinding noise loud enough to make you turn up the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarshRat89 09-10-2014 09:52 AM

Possibly the brake pad clip rubbing on the rotor. Happened to me when I put it all back together once.

fishfighter 09-10-2014 10:04 AM

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 719387)

I'm hearing a squeaking sound coming from the front end of my truck (that's where I think its coming from). @ 60,000 miles i changed out the upper control arms, they are greased. Any idea where this can be coming from? Wheel bearings? Shocks?

is it a steady squeak or is it an off and on squeak when the truck is bouncing, if it is squeaking when it bounces then it could be the shocks

swamp snorkler 09-10-2014 10:21 AM

Squeaks more when its bouncing it seems like.

I have 1 payment left. I plan on getting a full tuneup and all my shocks replaced within the next month

fishfighter 09-10-2014 10:46 AM

s

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 719466)
Squeaks more when its bouncing it seems like.

I have 1 payment left. I plan on getting a full tuneup and all my shocks replaced within the next month

it is probably a suspension part squeaking then, if i were brakes or bearings it would be a steady squeal, but i am no expert and it has been a very long time since i have been to a holiday inn

Lake Chuck Duck 09-10-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 719387)

It is your sway bar END LINK!!!! I changed one out last night and doing the other side tonight. Every time I hit a bump it would squeak. Went on for weeks. Finnally looked underneath and immediately noticed that my end links only had 3 of the 4 rubber bushings on both sides making them really loose. Looks like the finally wore and split and fell off. Same bushing on both sides. I was worried at first that it was a bigger issue since I recently had my upper control arms changed.

$40 for all moog parts for both sides at O Reily's. Check this out and I bet it is your problem.

Lake Chuck Duck 09-10-2014 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Piece with the arrow and rubber bushings

duckman1911 09-10-2014 03:12 PM

Could be sway bar links, dry sway bar bushing, or possibly the tie rod end.
The sway bar links have been a problem.

duckman1911 09-10-2014 03:13 PM

If you do the links go ahead and take the clamps off of the bushings and grease the inside of the clamps and bushings.

swamp snorkler 09-10-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfighter (Post 719474)
it is probably a suspension part squeaking then, if i were brakes or bearings it would be a steady squeal, but i am no expert and it has been a very long time since i have been to a holiday inn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck (Post 719535)
It is your sway bar END LINK!!!! I changed one out last night and doing the other side tonight. Every time I hit a bump it would squeak. Went on for weeks. Finnally looked underneath and immediately noticed that my end links only had 3 of the 4 rubber bushings on both sides making them really loose. Looks like the finally wore and split and fell off. Same bushing on both sides. I was worried at first that it was a bigger issue since I recently had my upper control arms changed.

$40 for all moog parts for both sides at O Reily's. Check this out and I bet it is your problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck (Post 719537)
Piece with the arrow and rubber bushings

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 719538)
Could be sway bar links, dry sway bar bushing, or possibly the tie rod end.
The sway bar links have been a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 719539)
If you do the links go ahead and take the clamps off of the bushings and grease the inside of the clamps and bushings.

Thanks fellas..... im going to look into that as soon as I have a chance.

Lake Chuck..... how hard were they to change out?

Lake Chuck Duck 09-10-2014 09:16 PM

Took about 10 minutes each.

Lake Chuck Duck 09-10-2014 09:18 PM

Hold the bolt tight with one hand and back off the nut with the other. That's it. Did it with 2 ratchets. Size 15mm. If you don't have that 5/8.

swamp snorkler 09-11-2014 11:46 AM

awesome, i'll try that out.

Lake Chuck Duck 09-11-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 719661)
awesome, i'll try that out.

Well you should check if they are loose or missing a bushing first. It is very obvious if so. if they have 4 rubber pieces then there is no place for metal on metal to squeak. I changed both of mine, did the second one last night. Not a single squeak in the front when I hit a bump now.