SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Winter fishing clothes for running boats (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50414)

Crankbait36 12-30-2013 03:27 PM

Winter fishing clothes for running boats

Ok guys I need some help on what can I buy for running a bass boat and stay warm. I am a avid deer hunter but hunting clothes don't work when fishing as they are to bulky.

bearwash87 12-30-2013 03:31 PM

Wind proof and water proof are the main factors to me. I have a north face jacket that isnt thick at all but probably my warmest jacket beacuse it is wind proof. And for as pants i have some insulated carhartt overalls and put my wind pants on top of them.

Nickt87 12-30-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crankbait36 (Post 655474)
Ok guys I need some help on what can I buy for running a bass boat and stay warm. I am a avid deer hunter but hunting clothes don't work when fishing as they are to bulky.

Spend the extra money and get goretex. Waterproof, windproof, breathable, and not bulky.

SaltERedneck 12-30-2013 03:35 PM

I have some Game winner bibs that will keep you warm in the artic and arent bulky at all... cheap too. waterproof

As for upper gear i just use underarmor cold gear fitted shirt layered with a loose fitting long sleeve t shirt and hoodie... I have yet to get cold and have fished on the coldest days with comfort and not being too bulky up top.

If a chance of rain i agree with goretex Jackets.

wacotiger 12-30-2013 04:12 PM

Orvis is selling the Berretta jacket. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7A22

$300, but best jacket you will find. Gortex, not bulky, plenty of pockets, cuts all wind. Short waste (i.e., like a wading jacket). I use it for fishing and hunting. I've had mine for 5 years and just bought 2 more for my sons. Warmest jacket you will find, although very little inside insulation. Sat in Tiger Stadium in pouring rain and didn't get wet up top.

Goooh 12-30-2013 04:58 PM

Pack and paddle. Spend the money on higher end base layers and shells, you'll stay super warm and dry with little bulk. Plus marmott and Patagonia gear usually come with great warranties.

I wear a mustang coat with life jacket built in for running, super warm and high quality. Also has reflectors on it so you can be spotted if they do a night search...

eman 12-30-2013 06:01 PM

Give ya a lil tip that will amaze you on how it keeps ya warm.
Buy a full face motorcycle helmet. Wear it any time your running in cold weather.
Keeps the wind burn down too.

bmac 12-30-2013 07:28 PM

Stay away from cotton, use synthetic or wool only.

MathGeek 12-30-2013 08:01 PM

I'm a wool fan. I've got wool long underwear and a pair of wool pants I bought from a mil surplus place. An old wool sweater on top of a turtleneck over wool long underwear. Frog Toggs if it's raining.

jpeff31787 12-30-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 655522)
I'm a wool fan. I've got wool long underwear and a pair of wool pants I bought from a mil surplus place. An old wool sweater on top of a turtleneck over wool long underwear. Frog Toggs if it's raining.

for the extreme cold days, I just wear some of the skin tight base layers, pare of jeans and long sleeve shirt,then i wear cover alls on top. Wool full fingered gloves for running, and I usually take those off while I fish and I have some half fingered simms gloves that block all wind and resist the water real good. To keep my head warm, I usually just wear a fleece beanie, and for my face itself, I actually use one of those thing you would usually use in the summer time to keep the sun/wind off of you.

For the cold but not extreme days, I have a nice Columbia jacket and just ordered a nice pare of pants go with it instead of layering my pants because my legs usually warm up quickly

DannyI 12-30-2013 09:25 PM

Merino wool base layer, won't itch, warm & cool, it's called smart wool.

bayouchub 12-30-2013 09:27 PM

Bps gore tex bibs and parka.

MathGeek 12-30-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyI (Post 655535)
Merino wool base layer, won't itch, warm & cool, it's called smart wool.

Yeah, that's the stuff I've got. Awesome.

jimcareoff 12-31-2013 08:19 AM

and ski goggles

and ski goggles are pretty nice for high speed winter boat riding

jlincecum 12-31-2013 08:29 AM

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...duct/10210289/

this was some of the best money i ever spent

Superspook 12-31-2013 11:54 AM

Simms makes some great gear but the price is pretty unreasonable.... I use the under armor look alike base layer from academy (polar edge I think), my waterproof insulated drake wader pants, and a cabelas guide wear gor tex wader jacket. The jacket is some of the best money I have spent. Gor text is the ****.

smooth move 12-31-2013 02:16 PM

a snowmobile suit or ski suit works great and you can get some good deals if you wait untill spring. Cabelas or gander mont.

Dogface 12-31-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 655503)
Give ya a lil tip that will amaze you on how it keeps ya warm.
Buy a full face motorcycle helmet. Wear it any time your running in cold weather.
Keeps the wind burn down too.

X2 on the helmet!!

barbarian 01-01-2014 09:10 AM

x2 on motorcycle helmet. I bought one last year and the difference is amazing.

Good base layer is crucial and wind proof outerwear