SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Food in Our State (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61881)

duckman1911 09-29-2015 10:09 PM

Food in Our State

Ok this isn't about a particular dish just food in general. By most accounts on here I'm a yankee. 25miles SW of Alexandria. I do love cooking though and have a great appriciation for the food in our state. We love our great seafood but I also love how we make great meals from something as simple as chicken. Even if it was that old rooster that needed to go. It's the history and knowing that people used their knowledge and love to make wonderful food for their families. Cooking brings me peace like nothing else can.

Jcredeur 09-30-2015 08:45 AM

I love to cook also, My only regret is not sitting down with my grandma to learn her way I cooking. She passed away two years ago at 93years old. Its amazing how do many great dishes that we cook today and are made fancy in many restaurants originated from poor farming families trying to stretch a meal as far as you could.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Cjleger337 09-30-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcredeur (Post 774466)
I love to cook also, My only regret is not sitting down with my grandma to learn her way I cooking. She passed away two years ago at 93years old. Its amazing how do many great dishes that we cook today and are made fancy in many restaurants originated from poor farming families trying to stretch a meal as far as you could.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I.e. Boudin, cracklins... they used to be so cheap... now go try to buy some pork belly meat.. went to a place in lafayette that made some pork belly sliders and theyre charging like 15$ for 3 small pieces of this stuff. Theres a bunch of other dishes out there in restaurants but boudin and cracklins always come to mind because they are highly overpriced now that its part of tourism.

I got lost in my rant, but yes cooking is enjoyable for me, reminds me of the old days when the old people were still living and everyone was speaking french when I cook my old Cajun family recipes.

mr crab 09-30-2015 09:08 AM

$6-lb for pork belly here

mr crab 09-30-2015 09:11 AM

Cooking is a source of social life for me. If folks will gather under the premise of eating my food, and pass a good time, and make new friends or strengthen old relationships, then the evening was a success....regardless of the meal.

southern151 09-30-2015 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cooking here brings people together. While I'm not fluent in many of the cajun ways of cooking, I do enjoy the comradery.

Attachment 95795

duckman1911 09-30-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr crab (Post 774471)
Cooking is a source of social life for me. If folks will gather under the premise of eating my food, and pass a good time, and make new friends or strengthen old relationships, then the evening was a success....regardless of the meal.

You right bro. I love cooking for people. There is something awesome about seeing a crowd of people enjoying your work.

mriguy 09-30-2015 10:15 AM

Love cooking for my family and friends, plus it gives me an excuse to listen to music and drink high quality beer.

And yes duck man you are definitely a yankee.

duckman1911 09-30-2015 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriguy (Post 774481)
Love cooking for my family and friends, plus it gives me an excuse to listen to music and drink high quality beer.

And yes duck man you are definitely a yankee.

Lmao. I prefer redneck.lol
But this ole redneck knows his way around a roux pot :)

eman 09-30-2015 05:02 PM

I love to cook . doesn't matter what. My enjoyment is when i serve a table full of folks what ever i cooked and the table suddenly goes quiet and all you see is chewing and smiles.

duckman1911 09-30-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 774522)
I love to cook . doesn't matter what. My enjoyment is when i serve a table full of folks what ever i cooked and the table suddenly goes quiet and all you see is chewing and smiles.

Yes sir :)

smooth move 09-30-2015 10:48 PM

every culture has some great food that their ancestors tweeked and twisted till they were perfected, weather chinese, mexican or french. they're all good, but it just seems like the cajun people made more out of less than anyone and are more copied around the world than any other culture. i mean you go to New York and there's a bistro or cafe serving cajun food. come think of it, the same thing goes for mexican food. it's all good.

mr crab 10-01-2015 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 774522)

That's it man. There is a satisfaction in serving people good food that is like no other