SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Youth Weekend & Duck Report (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62144)

ckinchen 10-28-2015 11:56 AM

Youth Weekend & Duck Report

I plan on taking my boys Sunday morning. The youngest has a football playoff game Saturday that I have to coach or we would make a weekend of it. Two years in a row we had football and cut into youth weekend. I have mixed feelings about that but that's another topic for another day.

Are any of you guys going?

Have you been seeing any birds in your area? I wont' get in until late Saturday. I am lucky enough to have more than one spot but I won't have time to scout it all out before Sunday.

Good luck to those of you going. To me this is the best weekend of the year. There is nothing better than just calling in birds and working your dog while you get to watch youngsters get involved in such a great sport.

all star rod 10-28-2015 12:01 PM

Plan to take Thomas and a buddy of his on SAT. We still are holding a lot of ducks South of Kaplan. Last year for him to youth hunt.

CAMP CANARD 10-28-2015 12:23 PM

We worked our Marsh last weekend and didn't see any Ducks.

ckinchen 10-28-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 777188)
Plan to take Thomas and a buddy of his on SAT. We still are holding a lot of ducks South of Kaplan. Last year for him to youth hunt.

What is the cutoff 16?

all star rod 10-28-2015 12:32 PM

Yes....but I will check again to make sure it has not changed.

ckinchen 10-28-2015 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMP CANARD (Post 777195)
We worked our Marsh last weekend and didn't see any Ducks.

High water? I was in JB week before last and the water was really high. When we have high water we have ZERO ducks.

Duckaholic 10-28-2015 01:18 PM

The cut off is 15 not 16 depending on how you say it. It's 15 and under. Meaning... you can hunt if you are 15 but not if you are 16. Just clearing that up.

ckinchen 10-28-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckaholic (Post 777206)
The cut off is 15 not 16 depending on how you say it. It's 15 and under. Meaning... you can hunt if you are 15 but not if you are 16. Just clearing that up.

Sucks when your kids get old. My oldest will have three left based upon this.

C-Bass2mouth 10-28-2015 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 777202)
High water? I was in JB week before last and the water was really high. When we have high water we have ZERO ducks.

Idk about JB but a buddy went Sat to work on his blind off mud lake / holly beach and said very few birds and super high water. Generally the same scenario there as you, high water = low numbers

MossLake 10-28-2015 02:36 PM

Plan on taking my two boys this weekend to JB. Not expecting a whole lot.
My oldest will be 16 end of next month. I'm assuming he is good til then and will need a license for the rest of this season??

all star rod 10-28-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MossLake (Post 777230)
Plan on taking my two boys this weekend to JB. Not expecting a whole lot.
My oldest will be 16 end of next month. I'm assuming he is good til then and will need a license for the rest of this season??

Mine turns 16 on JAN 18th....day after the season ends.

DSDC 10-28-2015 07:27 PM

We will have a crew of kids in GC for the weekend. Hopefully shoot a few birds then teach kids the work that goes into grassing blinds! Always a great weekend!

BGcoreg 10-28-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSDC (Post 777280)
We will have a crew of kids in GC for the weekend. Hopefully shoot a few birds then teach kids the work that goes into grassing blinds! Always a great weekend!

Give us a report from that area if you would! Good luck, looks like heavy rain!

DSDC 10-28-2015 08:06 PM

Will do, I'm sure we can find something at camp if it rains to keep em busy/happy. My last youth hunt with my oldest, it's been fun watching them grow in the sport of hunting.

MarshRat89 10-28-2015 08:28 PM

Taking some veterans and their kids to pecan Island this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quackhead62 10-28-2015 08:59 PM

Wish I was bringing some kids but have to go pull one of our boats out that sunk and bail out the blinds again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lake Chuck Duck 10-28-2015 10:27 PM

We are gearing up for youth hunts at big pasture. Saw several pods of birds last Wednesday but nothing overwhelming. Lots of blue wing still in there.

MossLake 11-02-2015 04:03 PM

JB Youth hunt

2 Attachment(s)
Good weekend for the boys in JB. Made a trip Friday evening to bring go-devil down to boat and pump out blinds (pic shows what we stirred up). Planned on taking them Saturday morning but changed it to Sunday morning because of the weather I thought we would have but didn't get. They had a blast Sunday getting their two limits (decent mix of black mallard, gray, widgeon, spoon, teal). PLENTY of water in marsh, hope birds hold for next weekend.

Bluechip 11-02-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MossLake (Post 777779)
Good weekend for the boys in JB. Made a trip Friday evening to bring go-devil down to boat and pump out blinds (pic shows what we stirred up). Planned on taking them Saturday morning but changed it to Sunday morning because of the weather I thought we would have but didn't get. They had a blast Sunday getting their two limits (decent mix of black mallard, gray, widgeon, spoon, teal). PLENTY of water in marsh, hope birds hold for next weekend.

Nice.... I hope they hang around too.

Gerenemo 11-03-2015 08:52 AM

Little Chenier

We had birds prior to the major rain, went yesterday to complete the blind and saw just a handful of birds. Looks like more rain on the way for the weekend. I'm sure as the shooting starts the birds will stir around, however I'm sure plenty will find sanctuary in the flooded fields and ponds nobody hunts until the water retreats. Oh well as we say, too much water, not enough water, too much wind, not enough wind, too cloudy, too clear, too hot, too cold, too early, too late, etc. etc. etc........