SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trailer Hardware? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43094)

weedeater 04-17-2013 05:25 PM

Trailer Hardware?

Gonna redo my boat trailer and looking for suggestions as to use stainless or galvanized nuts and bolts? Trailer is galvanized jon boat trailer which gets use in saltwater and I will also be redoing galvanize where fenders are rusting if anyone has tips on this.

Let um land 04-17-2013 06:33 PM

Trailer rebuild

Rebuilt our custom flat last year, after it was all done wish we would have bought a new trailer and sold the old one for what we could get. Lights, winch,tires, it adds up quick.

weedeater 04-17-2013 07:33 PM

Well my other option will be selling my boat and trailer and buying new ones but I figure I can do this alittle cheaper

1fastmerc 04-17-2013 08:16 PM

Stupid I could've told you where all to go but never mind I ain't telling you jack squat crap now.

Sent from my stupid iPhone using Tapatalk

weedeater 04-17-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastmerc (Post 571247)
Stupid I could've told you where all to go but never mind I ain't telling you jack squat crap now.

Not asking where to go, idiot, asking which seems to hold up better..... stainless or galvanized

Gerald 04-17-2013 11:44 PM

Galvanized......is what I have used. As long as the galvanizing does not get chipped or cracked, it will hold up good for many years.

As far as trying to "fix" a spot that is rusting.....good luck!!!! Once salt get into metal, it is almost impossible to keep it from rusting more. You can sand blast the rusty spot, paint or spray with Cold Galvanizing and it will still show rust a few month later.

Best suggestion is clean it up best you can and then spray it with "Cold Galvanizing" compound which can be bought at Lowes. This stuff is really good to use after cutting or welding any galvanized metal, but must be "painted" before exposed to any salt.

swamp snorkler 04-18-2013 06:20 AM

Go to a local welding supply shop and get some "galvabar" you have to heat the metal up and melt it on and while it's still hot hit it with a wire brush. When we ran glavanized pipes on platforms and had to make an adjustment (cut, refit and weld) thats what we did to the weld after.

Gold Galvanizing Compound is your next best bet. That is what we sprayed on every piece of galvanized grating that we had to cut. It works well too. Make sure all the rust is off before you spray it though.

This is the galvabar...

1fastmerc 04-19-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 571294)
Not asking where to go, idiot, asking which seems to hold up better..... stainless or galvanized

That's a dumb question. You ever seen stainless rust.

weedeater 04-19-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastmerc (Post 571876)
That's a dumb question. You ever seen stainless rust.

if you thoght my question was dumb then you should really think about your answer because I have fow a fact seen stainless rust so once again thats why I asked which was better.

weedeater 04-19-2013 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

1fastmerc 04-19-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 571887)
if you thoght my question was dumb then you should really think about your answer because I have fow a fact seen stainless rust so once again thats why I asked which was better.

Ok. Most stainless that is for trailers won't rust.

weedeater 04-19-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastmerc (Post 571907)
Ok. Most stainless that is for trailers won't rust.

face it, you just a dumb truck driver:smokin:

1fastmerc 04-19-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 571917)
face it, you just a dumb truck driver:smokin:

Lol.