SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Anyone fishing Lake charles area? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52136)

BradleyPrejean87 03-23-2014 10:06 PM

Anyone fishing Lake charles area?

I'm a rockafella refuge fishermen that is looking on trying out lake charles this year anyone on here fish that area?

bgizzle 03-23-2014 10:39 PM

A lot of ppl on here fish south of lake Charles in big lake aka lake calcasieu.

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"

BradleyPrejean87 03-23-2014 10:46 PM

well i'll be docking out of calcasiue point but i only have a 16 foot flat aluminum with a 30 on the back bass style boat looking to take a friend who is from illinois to catch his first spec and redfish. Is this boat gonna be good enough to get in there and find some fish for him?

Madonk 03-24-2014 02:44 AM

Saw a report from a week ago on fishbrain, he caught a red in Prien. With this cooler weather there should be some in there. The specs stay in Prien year round but they are the smaller ones. Should be some real good ones right now with the cooler weather too. They don't have to fight a current to feed. Your boat should be fine as long as its not too choppy. I was fishing from the park the other day ( my boat is broke right now ) and saw a couple of small boats leaving the launch going out.

I haven't been fishing off a boat there but have a few buddies and family members that have and they usually do pretty well. Not too mention the few fishing reports I've seen from there

BradleyPrejean87 03-24-2014 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madonk (Post 674669)
Saw a report from a week ago on fishbrain, he caught a red in Prien. With this cooler weather there should be some in there. The specs stay in Prien year round but they are the smaller ones. Should be some real good ones right now with the cooler weather too. They don't have to fight a current to feed. Your boat should be fine as long as its not too choppy. I was fishing from the park the other day ( my boat is broke right now ) and saw a couple of small boats leaving the launch going out.

I haven't been fishing off a boat there but have a few buddies and family members that have and they usually do pretty well. Not too mention the few fishing reports I've seen from there

Thank you for the report man i'm by myself often i don't mind having a buddy to chat with on the boat if you don't get to fish it from a boat much.

Madonk 03-24-2014 03:19 AM

I work a lot out in Abbeville so it's a lot of driving, i.e. gas. The pay isn't that great. And last, all my real fishing gear is still in storage and I most likely wont be getting any of it out until I move to Vermilion from Lake Charles.

But if something changes, I'll let you know. Add me and we can figure something out I'm sure.

alphaman 03-24-2014 03:29 AM

If you launch at cal point, you can fish lng, salt ditch mud lake. all over the N end of the lake in your boat.

If you launch at herberts you could run to the wiers fish there and behind them in the marsh.

Launch by the ferry you could fish jetties if its calm in there.
A friend of mine has a 25 tiller handle and fishes these area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

BradleyPrejean87 03-24-2014 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaman (Post 674674)
If you launch at cal point, you can fish lng, salt ditch mud lake. all over the N end of the lake in your boat.

If you launch at herberts you could run to the wiers fish there and behind them in the marsh.

Launch by the ferry you could fish jetties if its calm in there.
A friend of mine has a 25 tiller handle and fishes these area

what about launching at CAL point and fishing turner bay think it would be to rough in there?

alphaman 03-24-2014 04:09 AM

You should be fine in turners as long as its calm to light winds.

BradleyPrejean87 03-24-2014 04:11 AM

I'll just have to monitor the weather like a hawk while in that little boat but i'm use to fishing the vermillion bay and it gets REALLY rough in there at times! Thinking about trying out Choup. Island and Turners bay when i get in from work for the first trip and see what happens. I just really want to get this kid from illinois on a louisiana redfish and watch his eyes cause all he is use to are bass and a few walleye

alphaman 03-24-2014 04:23 AM

When does he come in?

April 3, 7,8,11 are free days that im free!

Lets try plan a trip on one of the dates above. give me a call when you get in

BradleyPrejean87 03-24-2014 04:34 AM

The 3rd is when we were planning on going fishing

BassYakR 03-24-2014 06:59 AM

The biggest thing about prien is watch the salinity.... if salinity is down... there will be NO trout. reds and flounder are always around tho.

Reggoh 03-24-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyPrejean87 (Post 674675)
what about launching at CAL point and fishing turner bay think it would be to rough in there?

I have a 15/44 with a 25HP Tiller Handle and I fish Turner's all the time... even with a light chop it's not too bad... if the weather starts getting out of hand you are only about 5 minutes from the launch.

I also fish Prien quite a bit... There are spots in Lake Charles, Near the Port, Near Lauberge, PPG Cut, several spots by the 210 Bridge, around the Country Club, etc... You just need to get out there and learn some of the areas

Alphaman offered some good advice about launching from Heberts and from the Jetties. I like launching from the Jetties because I can fish the whole south end of the channel when that area gets good. The key down there is usually the tide... watch it close and pick the best times.

bgizzle 03-24-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyPrejean87 (Post 674645)
well i'll be docking out of calcasiue point but i only have a 16 foot flat aluminum with a 30 on the back bass style boat looking to take a friend who is from illinois to catch his first spec and redfish. Is this boat gonna be good enough to get in there and find some fish for him?

If you go to LNG and salt ditch then I'm sure it would be good enough.

bgizzle 03-24-2014 08:54 AM

Chofu pique bayou and surrounding area should put him on a redfish! SHOULD!

chief paul 03-24-2014 01:33 PM

What should salinity level be for specks around lake Charles?

BassYakR 03-24-2014 01:43 PM

8 plus for a couple weeks before it gets good... don't get me wrong you can go and get lucky and catch a few but to get any numbers that's where itll need to be. now once it gets that high then I can drop a lil lower than that and still be good...

Clampy 03-24-2014 04:56 PM

Gaft top city

Spiral Out

BradleyPrejean87 03-24-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 674887)
Gaft top city

Spiral Out

what do you mean?